Menu
Expat.com

PIO Visa

Last activity 18 August 2011 by Tushar Wadhwa

Guest326598

Hello.  My husband and I are thinking about moving to Bangalore.  We currently do not have work in India.  We are planning on mostly freelancing and looking for a job if we need to.  Since we don't have an employer, we don't have a work visa.  However, I am of Indian origin, so I am applying for a PIO.  I know you can basically live in India with a PIO as long as you register every 180 days.  My question is how much of a hassle is it to register with the police?  Can I actually live in India and renew my PIO every 15 years or would I have to get a more permanent work visa?  If we're freelancing, we'll have enough money to live, so I'd rather not get a full time job if I don't have to.  Thanks!

Tushar Wadhwa

Hi Chimpee
Well as far as i know it won't be a challenge probably yes for the first time but after that i don't think so. And according to me PIO should be sufficient also normally you get a validity of 10 years and fees is i think $1000 for US citizens.
Working visa also at the same time you should not have any challenge in that. Once you come here through links and all everything can be done.
Do let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers
Tushar

Guest326598

Thanks Tushar.  Do you happen to know about taxation?  If I were to hold a PIO and earn in dollars would I have to pay both US AND Indian taxes, or just US?

Tushar Wadhwa

Earn in dollars you mean earning from abroad (us)?

Guest326598

Correct.  If I live in India and earn US Dollars

Tushar Wadhwa

Once you come here you should get a Pio pan card after that if you are earning in dollars(earning from abroad). You only need to pay tax to us. because you are suppose to pay taxes to indian govt for the money which you earn inside the indian territory only.

Tushar

Tushar Wadhwa

yea in that case taxes has to be paid only to us govt.smile.png

suririshi

Hi,

You don't have to worry abt police registering coz in cities like Bangalore everything in police HQ is computerized now and it takes few minutes to do the job. i know this as my mom is a British national living in Chandigarh on indian visa from last 20 years and she also have to register every 5 years but it takes only few minutes as all police departments have created a special units to take care of foreign nationals  and work permit holders.

So need not to worry .

Cheers
Rishi

Guest326598

Thanks for the info!!  I've been so worried because my family is from Mumbai, and my mother makes it seem like everything in India takes forever and you have to bribe everybody for everything!

seema

Tushar Wadhwa

Not really depends place to place and work to work.

Cheers
Tushar

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bangalore

• Work permits for India
    Work permits for India

If you wish to work in India you will need to obtain a valid work visa. Work visas are specially designed for ...

• FRRO
    FRRO

List of documents that are required at the time of registration with the Foreigners Registration Offices in India ...

• Visa requirements for India
    Visa requirements for India

If you are travelling to India, find out more about the important documents and formalities required for your ...

• Visas for India
    Visas for India

Just like any other country, India requires you to have a valid visa and a passport for staying in the country. ...

• Cycling in Bangalore
    Cycling in Bangalore

We took trek bikes on rent and set off on a beautiful journey of one long day to Cauvery fishing camp. The ...

• Working in Bangalore
    Working in Bangalore

Bangalore, officially known as ‘Bengaluru', is one of the most progressive cities of India. Located on a ...

• Accommodation in Bangalore
    Accommodation in Bangalore

Bangalore, officially known as Bengaluru is the capital of Indian state of Karnataka. A highly vibrant and lively ...

• The Indian lifestyle
    The Indian lifestyle

India offers its visitors an invaluable experience if you are looking forward to a new way of life. The country ...

All of Bangalore's guide articles