Most Expats DO NOT have to pay for the CAJA old age pension

If you've been paying a high monthly premium to be enrolled in the CAJA, you may be in for a substantial reduction. Basically, Lic. Jaime Barrantes Espinoza, General Manager, CAJA Pensions, has informed  Lic. Gustavo Picado Chacón, General Manager, CAJA Finance that those covered by an old age pension from any source are not required to pay into the CAJA old age pension system. What's more, in order to be eligible to receive an old age pension payment from the CAJA, you must have contributed for longer than many of us have been in Costa Rica. So it's unlikely you'd qualify anyway.

Here is a translation of the relevant part of the letter referred to above . . .

FROM Lic. Jaime Barrantes Espinoza, General Manager, CAJA Pensions

TO: Lic. Gustavo Picado Chacón, General Manager, CAJA Finance

According to Article 2 of the CAJA Bylaws/Constitutión, only the following are REQUIRED to contribute to IVM (Disability, Old Age, and Death):

All salaried workers, private or independant, be they from the pubic  private, or independant sectors.

NOT for the population with established pensions.

Article 4 of the Bylaws states that those who are NOT required to insure are:

a. Members of the family of the insured that live with him, do not receive a salary monetarily.

b. Those workers who receive a pensión or retirement from the State, its institutions, or municipalities. However continue to be insured for sickness or pregnancy.

As stated before: It's clear, that while immigrants cannot go against norms, it is not obligatory for immigrants with pensions. <emphasis added>

@daveandmarcia thanks Dave. It sounds too good for the "pura vida" thing. Ive already spent a fortune on this scam. Could you please point out at the original source in Spanish?

@daveandmarcia thanks Dave. It sounds too good for the "pura vida" thing... Ive already spent a fortune on this scam. This is what I have found in SCIJ (Sistema Costaricenar de Información Jurifica):

"For all the purposes of this Regulation, workers of both sexes, who contribute or are pensioners in the Disability, Old Age and Death Insurance, are called insured.  The contribution or contribution that is made monthly to this Insurance is called quota.  A single quota will be recorded for each month, whether the contribution comes from one or several employers, or when you are contributing as an employee and self-employed worker at the same time.".

It isn't clear here.

Could you please point out at the original source in Spanish if you have it.

The ". . original source in Spanish . . ." is a copy of the letter in Spanish that I cited above. I'm not sure I'm up to authenticating it. That said, a couple or two locally have used it in a conversation with the local CAJA manager to get their monthly old age premium dropped.

The letter has what appears to be an authentication number (GP-1620-2022) and is dated, "ol de octubre de 2022". It is addressed to "Licenciado Gustavo Picado Chacoñ, gerente, GERENCIA FINANCIERA - 1103" and originated from "Lic. time Barrantes Espinoza, Gerente".

@daveandmarcia thank you. In this country, there is a huge difference between the existence of the law and its actual fullfilment but it helps.

Well, I think what you say is true for a lot of places. Have you ever talked your way out of a speeding ticket?

@daveandmarcia I don't drive higher than 120km here....Actually, it is easy without much talking but painful. Got rid of punishment for driving without a driving license a couple of times and not wearing a seat belt by you know how..wasn't very expensive. Tomorrow, finally will get a license to be fully legitimate.