Early termination rental property contract

Hello,

I recently lost my job and still have 2.5 months left on my rental property contract. Despite having paid my October rent, the property agent is demanding a compensation of SGD $3K for early termination. I've informed him that I will be vacating the unit by the end of October. He has vaguely threatened that the landlord will “take the next step” if I don't pay, although he hasn't specified what that entails. Can you offer some guidance?

@Suhanshi Arora

If you have any diplomatic clause then you don't need to bear any such penalties.

Otherwise it depends on the mutual agreement of showing a replacement/ lease takeover to avoid any penalties

@rajendraprasad anchala

don't have diplomatic clause in the contract

@Suhanshi Arora Without a "diplomatic clause" (which allows terminating early, if one is forced to leave Singapore for reasons out of one's control), you will have to honour the contract until its expiry. That means paying the remaining 2.5 months' rent.

If the S$3000 offer by your landlord (or his/her agent) is more attractive, you can agree to that.

Or, if you don't care that the landlord might sue you), you could also do neither and just forfeit the deposit - if that is below S$3000, this is the cheapest option, but if he/she really sues you, you might never be able to return to Singapore.

I recommend accepting their offer!