Volunteering to teach English in Medellin

Hi,

I'm staying in Medellin from Dec 18th to March 10th. I'm taking a Spanish course until Jan 24th and then hanging out until the snow melts in Canada.

I'm a certified TEFL teacher.

I'd love to volunteer somewhere for half a day Monday to Friday after Jan 24th.

Anyone have any suggestions for organization that may want a volunteer TEFL teacher.

Joseph McAdam

Hello Joe,

Are you legally able to freelance (and make a little money)? If so, DM me, perhaps you can join Profesores Extranjeros like I did.

Hello Joseph,

I am also a TEFL grad and was going to start volunteering as an English teacher at a very solid Communa 13 charity called PH 13. Unfortunately, I had to have an eye operation for a detached retina which is delaying my start date. I know the charity's diretor is very keen on having an English teacher ASAP. I can put you in contact with her if you are interested..... My friend from New York was volunteering there as an English teacher but he had to return to the States at the end of the summer as he is a high school teacher in New York. Since this time, the charity has not been able to teach English for lack of an English language instructor.

I sat in on a class and was very impressed with the student's dedication to learning despite the kids being from a lower-economic area of Medellin. Anyway, it is probably better to DM me, and I can get you the director's info.

@Stoneecash

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I would be very interested in getting in contact with her.

For the first month after I arrive I am learning Spanish but for the next couple of months I would like to teach or tutor or help in any volunteer capacity that might help.

I look forward to your response and to touching base with her.

Thanks for this.

Jamcadam,

I will PM you the information.

@Stoneecash

hi, i got your note. thanks. i will contact Quan when i  arrive in Medellin. ive just arrived in Cartagena after sailing from Panama. I head to Medellin on the 20th.

thanks Joseph

@ChineduOpara

Hello. My name is Stephanie. I would like very much to know more about moving and working in Medellin 

How best may I contact you?

I obtained my TEFL a few years ago, but have never used it here, why? because I am a Brit, and English English is different to American English, it just confuses the Kids, who for obvious reasons learn the American vocabulary.

@mymagicallife43 You can easily send me a private message here. I live in Barranquilla, BTW.

I obtained my TEFL a few years ago, but have never used it here, why? because I am a Brit, and English English is different to American English, it just confuses the Kids, who for obvious reasons learn the American vocabulary.

-@PhilCo58

You can (and dare I say, should) teach ESL anyway, British English and all. It's good for the locals to hear different flavors of the language, just like how we have to contend with various (quite distinct) flavors of Spanish even within the same region of Colombia!

You can (and dare I say, should) teach ESL anyway, British English and all. It's good for the locals to hear different flavors of the language, just like how we have to contend with various (quite distinct) flavors of Spanish even within the same region of Colombia!

-@ChineduOpara

I agree but it's one thing to hear it, another to learn it when all their exams relate to American English!