FIP visa questions.

Hi guys I have been looking at various websites and need a few questions clarified

1. With the basic FIP visa does this allows you to travel in the Schengen area for more than 90 days? I have read on a couple of websites that all it allows is the 90 days but you don't need a Visa!

2. The renewal times are a bit confusing. I have read that it is a 2 year visa that can be renewed every 3 years! So how does that work?

3. TAX. I understand that if I became a tax resident I would just pay 7%. If I were to buy a property I need a tax file no. Therefore if I were to rent would I need a tax file no?

4. Primarily I am looking at this visa to allow longer than 90 days in the Schengen zone which would mean I would be in Greece less than 180 days in a given year. Would I then be ok to NOT pay TAX in Greece?

Cheers

@Casper60 To pay your global taxes at any country in the wold, you need to stay at that country six months plus one day. In regards to your other question, I know that there is a renewal process, but I agree with you that it is not clear.

Hello,

I'm not a visa expert, but here's what I understand about this procedure:

1. The FIP program is intended for people wishing to reside in Greece without working => retirees are targeted.  The sole purpose of the FIP visa is to allow you to come to Greece and complete the residence permit procedure. It is a D national visa valid for one year.   Once you have obtained the residence permit, you should be able to travel within the EU.  The maximum stay in another EU country is 90 days. However, you will need to prove that you have stayed in Greece for more than six months in order to obtain a renewal.
  2. In practice, the first renewal takes place after 1+2 years, then every 2 years. But don't forget that you'll need to prove that you actually live in Greece.
  3. Taxes: yes, as a resident you'll need a tax number, also known as an AFM (pronounced AFIMI). This tax number is required in all cases!  If I remember correctly, the 7% tax is reserved for retirees (but I could be wrong).
  4. NO WAY.   
  5. If the Greek authorities understand your first objective, they won't let you in.  This program is for people who intend to settle in Greece. If you can't prove that you've stayed for more than 6 months, your permit will be cancelled.
  6. Even EU citizens are theoretically not allowed to stay longer than 90 days in an EU country where they are not officially resident.  For example, if you are a French resident - meaning that your address and tax residence are in France - you are not allowed to stay longer than 90 days in Greece (without residence permit). However, as there are virtually no checks for EU citizens. We all think we can travel/move to any EU country without limits... This is a verry common wrong belief. I know a Belgian who was caught doing this. He stayed there more than 3 years without permit, and without paying taxes for his belgian car etc.. He had a loooong discussion with the tax othorities and was fined.

Unless you have a special Visa or a residence permit, you will never be able to legally stay in CE more than 90 days.

In some countries, you can apply for a one year visa, with multiple entries of 1 to 3 month... but you will need to leave after each stay. Failing to do so will lead to visa cancellation.

Sometimes you can apply for a visa extension once you're there, but you'll need serious grounds.

Finally, don't forget that the above procedures do not entitle you to a work permit.

Regards,

T.

This is wonderful information for everyone. You are a spot on and many of these facts I can attest though that you need to make sure that you thought the i's and cross the t's now that things are getting a little  tougher here was so many crossing over from war torn areas. Always make sure you have proper documentation and I would highly suggest that anything you bring from your home country let's say United States have it professionally translated into Greek by the many  translators, who are often attorneys, who do it on the side or no longer practice, but our legalized to do with seal, and all a conversion of English to Greek translation. It saves some time whenever you are applying for anything, whether it be dual citizenship or any kinds of visas that require documentation like birth certificates, marriage certificates etc. I think this is a wonderful site for people to share information and we all have different experiences and different purposes wanting to stay I will say and share one other perspective. I am retired in the US getting Social Security I am of Greek to send and spent many years living on and off between us and Greece . even though I still have a residence in the US, it is my primary country because that is where I pay my taxes Social Security in the US is not taxable income, of course because we've already paid for that during our years of working, but it does get included in my tax return as well any teach I do on the side or tutoring as I was a teacher for college and now often will pick up a student here and there remotely from the US and we do lessons online but my 1099 forms are generated in the US and included in my tax return . That is when you still have a primary country in Greece is secondary if you're looking to stay long-term in Greece or to go between two countries whatever your circumstances are often your identification will show that your primary country is wherever it may be like mine is in the US , but I also will be receiving in a few months a Greek passport as a dual citizen. I know the US is one of the few countries that does allow dual citizenship. For anyone in the EU who wishes to reside in Greece I know from the attorney that has helped me a great deal you don't have to go through as much. Transition is much easier if you are planning to , make grease your permanent residence or do the same just you have to show in any case wherever it is you pay taxes on income or other that is your primary residence now with that said if you have a tax ID and are able to purchase here like a car or a  additional home or investment then you have to pay the taxes here as well and obtain and have the property tax identification provided by registering with tax ID using your ΑFM that is sort of Greece's version of a Social Security number or identification number. but definitely just be sure that if you're moving here and want to reside here permanently while receiving Social Security from another country get proper advisement so you don't jeopardize either your US SS or any other country that you receive an income after you stop working. I think this is great information, I also think it's great that others chime in if there is information that might be more current we sort of can help each other fact . I had to go through an attorney for my process because it was a bit complicated due to the 90 day rule and my developing Covid, which extended that and somewhat messed up my two year allowance of a visa at the same time I was in the process of putting in the paperwork to go through my fathers side, and gain the Greek dual, whatever your circumstance make sure you take the advisement of others, but do your own fact checking my Attorney mentioned that if I was born in an EU country, this process would be so much easier. Sometimes it's not as hard as we think but you need to make sure it's done correctly merry Christmas to all . S