New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourselves here - 2024

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

@Julien Hello, I'm Jan. Thanks so much for your friendly welcome!

My husband, Mike, and I are planning our first visit to Costa Rica in late March, early April to scope out your lovely country and see if we want to move there.

We're coming from Southern California where we live now, but both of us were born in the NE USA. We met in California.

We're of retirement age but still working, especially Mike. He's a forensic guy. Fun stuff!

We will arrive and depart from San Jose. I want to check out Atenas because I've read a lot of great things about it. We're not so much into beaches for living, but I'm sure we'll be happy to visit. We are nature lovers. We like mountains, rainforests, waterfalls, great food, and great company--not necessarily in that order.

I have many questions, but I'll scope out this forum 1st.

Thank you so much, everyone, for being here and for communicating.

If I've posted this in the wrong place, please just delete it or let me know.

@Jtuck2...AARP and NatGeo blew the lid off on Atenas about 20yrs ago and away we go$$$$$$......The last 15 years it has been the Peninsula de Nicoya and that has gone global...

@Jtuck2

well ive lived here for 27 years and know every corner of tge country and all about tge tge coubtry and most importantly the cukture which will be tge biggest change to adapt to…tge entire country is gourgous but tgerr are various factors to consider..please feel free to contact me privat on watsapp or imessage..***..im happy to help so feel  free to chime in..pura vida

Moderated by Bhavna 8 months ago
Reason : Personal contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you, I prefer to sttay on this forum site to communicate. It will help others, too.

I will be in Alajuela and later in Quepos during February. It's my first time in Costa Rica, but I've traveled extensively in other Latin American countries during my life and career. I am considering moving to Costa Rica, so this trip is to check things out. I'm a former college professor and now I am a college admissions counselor for international students. My work is online. I have 3 grown kids, who will join me in CR for a week next month. We're all looking forward to exploring San Jose and other areas on the Pacific coast. I'd love to hear from other expats of any nationality!

@Lancelot224

Hello and welcome on board !

Thank you for your introduction.

Feel free to interact with members of the San Jose forum to gather information or just to share your experience.

All the best

Bhavna

@Lancelot224  Please let us know what you learn. We're contemplating a move or part time residence.

Hi, i'm Cristobal, I'm from Venezuela, I've been living here from 12 years. I got some experience dealing with day to day in San Jose. I'm I web developer; let me know if I can help you with any needs. Regards.

@Lancelot224 Nice, let me know if I can help you ! reagards.

Hello lulot,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

I suggest exploring the Costa Rica forum to get an idea of the common questions asked by people, which will help you prepare for your expatriation.

Is this your first time visiting Costa Rica, or have you been there before?

How familiar are you with the language and culture, including food, in Costa Rica?

Lastly, I recommend reading the Living in Costa Rica guide for expats, which contains numerous articles covering various topics.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@lulot

Hi, Randall here, I'm a builder here in the US and also there in CR, get couple architects and see what they have to offer. Focus on the plumbing systems, Everything is important but they are notorious for bad plumbing. I started to help a friend who wanted to build a house with the US standards and try to follow as much as possible the US building safety codes. Do your diligence, and you will be ok.

Hey...  just living the tropical life here.  Hope I can help anyone that has a general question... I've tackeled Residency, Property purchase, the Caja, etc.   It's not all that complicated as long as you do your homework.   CR isn't for everyone... do your due diligence before coming here so that you aren't crying about bugs or snakes or humidity.   It's not a third world back water... but it is different.  Peace.

@rainagain

Welcome and thank you for offering your help !

I am sure members will benefit from your inputs.

All the best on the Costa Rica forum.

Bhavna

@lulot

Hello... I just wrote to another member with similar questions to the inquiries as stated in your introduction...

Their post was titled 'Tips on how to go about moving to Costa Rica' and I gave them an idea of how I approached moving here and how I selected my eventual home here.    Maybe you read it, if not...  it's just one person's experience... but better than nothing.

Good luck.    I am 'rainagain' 

Been reading for long time some great information.  Been Costa Rica a couple of times my wife and myself, no bad experiences as of now.

@Julien Thank you!  I really appreciate this site because it seems there is a lot to consider and get completed to live in CR.  I still have plenty of time (5 years) but thought i would start exploring my options now and gathering all the information I need to live there.  My plan is to travel there twice a year over the next 5 and check out different places and hopefully meet some helpful Americans who have already been through the process.

appreciate any feedback - negative or positive that will help me on my journey.

@kimseghers59.....There is a treasure trove of information you can find on your own without relying on your fellow Americans to hand-feed you on moving to Costa Rica.Just about all are going to try to sell you something......Nobody is going to tell you that'it is a revolving door of North Americans out of Costa Rica that under estimated the country'.......You have good plan,to travel here periodically...Take advantage of 180 day visa for the extended stay to get beyond the vacation mode....No disclosure nor consumer protection laws in Costa Rica,so,becareful what you buy or invest in...

@Julien

Hola mi amigo,

My husband and I currently live in hell! Phoenix Arizona area. Ready to get out if here.

We have been to Costa Rica 4 times in the last year and half. Preparing to go back there in July or August.

In all the times we been there we have yet to find a rental home. Just fir a year. So we can find the perfect home for us. Not easy. That's for sure.

Definitely not like the states. We're you have a realtor.  Go to the home and have a lock box to get in. Who ever listed the property has to be there as well. The best us the6 never phone you back. Or text nothing.  So prepared to have patience.  Unless you have millions of dollars. Any owner financing has to be 50% down.

I guess my bottom line is. I NEED TO FIND A RENTAL PROPERTY.  Anywhere there.

Thank you,

Suzette & Craig Darling

@Suzettedarling7

hello and welcome !

Feel free to create an advert in the Housing in Costa Rica section of the website. You might receive some offers. However, please bear in mind that when it comes to accommodation, it is best to be there, visit etc before signing anything long term.

All the best

Bhavna

@papajus1111

good day,

I am considering moving to CR in 2025.  Now wondering where to live.  Will likely travel in Jan. to scope out some areas

north of San Jose and west to the coast.  Like cooler temps and less rain.  With some creature comforts like resturants and

shopping.  Any suggestions ?

Mike

@rainagain

Snakes--that would bother me greatly.  Having lived in Florida, bugs are part of everyday life--especially at night.

@Lancelot224  Why Costa Rica compared to say, El Salvador?

I am currently living in a small townhouse in Gilbert AZ (Phoenix AZ). I have lived here for 2 1/2 years and like it but I am worrying about my retirement budget. Also, I would like to try something new, with a better climate and different culture. If I live in Costa Rica I  might be able to afford to retire earlier. I love nature, art. cooking, and the outdoors. I am a single female and still very active and in good health so I am not worried about getting around and learning Spanish. I do need to find out all of the pros and cons before I commit. I won't have much oney to explore first so I need to find out as much as I can second hand.

@Lancelot224  Why Costa Rica compared to say, El Salvador?

-@RootBeer-GMT

Costa Rica is the only stable democracy south of the U.S.-Canada border. You can go to El Salvador or any other place in Latin America, but you won't find the rule of law that Costa Rica enjoys. Pretty much anywhere else, you may be subject of arbitrary deportation, confiscation of your assets, etc by the next strongman who comes to power. Since the end of World War II, at least, Costa Rica has suffered none of that.

Hello Ken,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

Could you please tell us more about you?

Are you looking for something specific on the Costa Rica forum?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Considering the move to CR next year. I am from San Francsico CA and I'm thinking of moving to San Francisco area in Costa Rica.  From what I have gathered, it is an urban area.   Will have my mighty Westie, survivor of 4 coyote attacks this year, Rosa.   Looking for all information.   Doubt I will drive or work much. 

@bkparrot

Hello.  I like your 'considerations'... CR may be a good 'fit' for you.  The country is only about the size of West Virginia; has a population of 5.2 million... and about half of those humans live in and 'around' the capital city of San Jose.  The city 'itself' isn't pretty... but there are good suburbs; however they don't really reflect the culture here as well as some of the x-burbs do... where you can get a more authentic 'feel' for the country...  Grecia, Cartago, Sarchi, etc.

However, stretching your retirement 'budget' may be more successful if you consider being in or outside of one of CR's smaller cities, or big towns.  At 'our' age... we/you most likely will want to be within 'proximity' to amenities, such as healthcare/hospital; banking, shopping; etc.  And safety is going to be easier to find if you aren't too close to San Jose, Limon, nor Liberia.  (see the US State Dept. website for areas to avoid).  Look at places like San Isidro General, San Ramon, La Fortuna, Ciudad Quesada, Atenas, Naranjo, etc.

Since doing in-depth 'travel' excursions down here to investigate won't be an option... put on your 'investigator's' cap, and hit the Internet (first) to look at a map, and consider locations with regards to elevation (for comfort); or proximity to amenities; areas of 'interest' ... like close to mountains, beaches, artsy stuff, natural attractions (natural hot water rivers, nature reserves, rain and or cloud forests, good public transportation; etc.).

Then... make a needs list and apply it to locations that interest you.

examples:  Hospital within 20 minutes travel time;

ample access to food shopping, pharmacy, banking, clinics, dentists, and general every-day stuff

nearby 'stuff'... like, can you get away for a day trip to see/do something; or just to find a good burger, some sushi, or 'real' pizza

Public transportation ... can you get a taxi quickly, or take a bus to 'town' for a half-day of errands; or to get to the Airport, etc.

Then... make a list of small towns and villages that seem to be within very close proximity to those towns that interest you.  Those may be the 'golden tickets' to finding a 'spot' where you can really stretch that budget, but still maintain a livable distance from the main town... maybe even 'walking' distance.

After all of that... google the hell out of those places... see what you can find by both 'reading' and looking at photos. 

If and when a few places start to 'sit' with you... come back onto this forum and see if one of 'us' already lives in the 'areas' you are interested in.  We may live in the place or nearby, or...  have some other kind of good 'second-hand' knowledge of such place.   Like... we visit it regularly, or pass through it often, etc.

I think that just getting general 'pros and cons' from us, without you already having an inkling as to where you may want to end up... isn't going to help your specific situation.  CR is big... so try your best to narrow it down somewhat.

Do your due diligence, and THEN!!  we Hopefully can help to fill in the 'blanks'... and thus, narrow your search.

You can live here cheap... (but it will be done modestly) or, of course... the sky is the limit.

Start Spanish now if you haven't already... it will exponentially affect your experience.

Pura Vida.

Carmenza,

Hi all, i have lived in CR, i loved it every minute, I am originally from Colombia, due to family reasons i had to move back. I have my House for sale, it is located in San Ramon. any enquires feel free to ask through the forum and form there we can move to a private conversation., through phone, mail, etc.

Pura vida!!

@Carmenza-Bot

What is ur demand and how much area u have. Send me pictures

Hello everyone...

My gf and I are pondering on making the big move to CR next year. We've both visited before, and will be in Tamarindo in December to check out possible business opportunities. Looking forward to talking and possibly meeting up someday, Prost!

Kurt

@SandyEggo

You should talk with a Lawyer Here first... regarding the ins/outs of investing in a business here and of course, if you are going to apply for Residency.  There are many restrictions, and of course, numerous options.  But none are 'easy' nor do they happen fast.  Residency (temporary) can take up to a year to achieve, and Permanent residency usually takes around 5 to 5-1/2 years.  Your ability to work or run a business will depend on many points; so start researching the options now.

Pura Vida