Expatriation in Manila

Hello,

My husband has an expatriation opportunity in Manila and I'd like some information about life there.

• Is it easy to find halal food/restaurants?

• Which neighbourhoods are ideal for expat families with children?

• I've heard that the traffic jams in Manila are quite bad, is this true? Is there public transport, or is driving a must?

• What international schools are recommended (American or British curriculum)?

Any advice on settling in and living in the Philippines is welcome.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't live in Manila. In fact, I personally despise Manila because of traffic and smog mostly. But there's far more to offer of western things we love in Manila over other parts of the country. I like my country-province life hours south of Cebu City. But I'm sure there's folks here that will be able to give you better answers.

Good luck and best wishes should your family take this next adventure.

One of the Gougle search choices is the 12 best Halal restaurants in Manila.

@milkiouais

Before anything, take time to learn the culture. It is vastly different from the Western world. Be careful where you get recommendations/advice. Most neighbors are not very considerate when it comes to noise problems: barking dogs, talking loud, etc. Needless to say, take things with an open mind. Good luck!

Is that just a 1-2 year short term reassignment? First, your company and the relo firm they work with will be your best source of information. Second, this sounds short term; I would just take my advice from others in the company who have taken the same assignments; I would live where they live and send their kids to the international schools that are here, that they use. This kind of expatriation is a bit different than long term or permanent retirement where most people do not care about the schools, cannot afford the good restaurants and most of them do not drive in Manila. They may have a used motorcycle. You will probably get around using Grab (unlike them) and yes, the traffic is very heavy. No way to sugar coat that but with proper planning of your travel times it can be tolerable. Most large Asian cities are the same.

I would recommend close to to your commitments,like job school etc. Traffic is terrible in towns. Halal food probably restaurants, no street food. If possible close gate community with children.

There are quite a few international schools in Metro Manila, especially an area called Bonifacio Global City, in Taguig City, which is an area suitable for expat living, especially if you don't mind condo living. Apart from driving, you can get around with an Uber partner called Grab. If you like outdoor activities, there are many beaches about two to three hours drive from Metro Manila, and some hiking places. In terms of culture, Filipinos are people oriented, not details-oriented. Friendly, polite, and always want to know where you came from if you don't look like them.