Makati or BGC

I will be coming to Manila Dec. 1st.  I am trying to decide between the area of Makati or BGC for my stay.  My criteria is safety, walkability, shopping (malls) and nightlife.  Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

@martyirish

I've been visiting Manila since 2001 and have always stayed in Makati. The place has a pulse which BGC lacks. Much better selection of hotels too and you have the Greenbelt area which is a green oasis in a polluted city: lots of restaurants, malls and cafés and pedestrian friendly.

If you are into the girly bar scene you have the Burgos area (10 minute taxi ride from Greenbelt) at the top end of Makati Avenue where you will find some good 4 star hotels which are cheaper due to their close location to Burgos.

BGC by taxi is not that far away if you time your journey right. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Thank you so much for your reply.  The info you provided is very helpful.

@martyirish Both Makati and BGC are great options for your stay, as they meet your criteria for safety, walkability, shopping, and nightlife. Makati is safer with more nightlife options, but can be congested and less pedestrian-friendly. BGC is more walkable and organized, with fewer nightlife options. Both areas have plenty of shopping malls.

Thank you, Mary for your input.  Interesting that Makati is safer than BGC.  Right now I am leaning to staying in Makati.

@martyirish You're welcome! Yes, for me, I prefer Makati than BGC. It's a popular choice for tourists and expats because of its central location and lively atmosphere. I'm glad to hear that you're leaning towards staying in Makati. I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring the city!