Menu
Expat.com

British Corner Shop

Last activity 23 January 2024 by Bhavna

SimCityAT

0x0.png

Sad news that the British Corner Shop has gone bust. Very surprised as they 1000's of customers worldwide.

You can read their statement on their website HERE.

grahamstark1

@SimCityAT

Sad that any business turns its toes up and thoughts go out to the owners and staff . As an aside I don't know if many people use GGBG.bg but you can do a home shop for those hard to find goods in the UK or Germany and have it delivered to their offices and couriered by them to BG where it will be delivered by Ekont. I use them for Amazon deliveries from Germany at a considerable saving and goods leave Berlin on the Friday and are normally available for pick up here the following Friday.

janemulberry

That is very sad. sad.png

Good to know about GGBG. I need to try again to set up an account with them. I tried a while back but couldn't get registered. Not sure what I did wrong.

SimCityAT

There are lots of others you just need to google them.

One I found........

WE DO NOT HOLD STOCK. We are personal shoppers and purchase your goods once you have ordered. Our team of dedicated personal shoppers are here to hand-pick your goods to ensure the longest possible shelf life and quality.

Maybe that's the way forward?

mithras53

Here in Bulgaria we have Sokoni, a family run store which provides a wide range of British foods and an extremely efficient next day service.

mithras53

Also British Lion Food Store!

Fred

I looked at their prices, then didn't bother bookmarking their page.

The other reason is easy. Much as I still like beans on toast, I refuse to be stuck in the past.

janemulberry

So true, when Bulgaria has such wonderful food to offer. I'd prefer to eat local food.

Still, for some people, the tastes of home = comfort and make coping with change easier. Hubby was delighted to find that a little supermarket in the small town nearest to our Bulgarian house sold Heinz beans at much the same price as Sainsburys!

And sometimes we want things that just can't be bought locally. I love seitan, a vegan protein made from wheat gluten. It's a very quick and easy-to-make meat substitute. The region our house is in is Bulgaria's biggest wheat producer. I know for a fact they process wheat into wheat starch and gluten there. But gluten's not for sale anywhere, even online, unless I want to buy a tonne of the stuff! So if I want to keep making my own, I need to buy gluten from Amazon de, ironically possible produced just miles from our house!

mithras53

Sokoni sell Marmite. Enough said.

janemulberry

Nooooooooooo! Not Marmite! You can tell I'm an Aussie. Vegemite all the way! I even converted my Brit hubby to Vegemite.

But I am glad you reminded me about Sokoni because they sell fab Asian ingredients.

mithras53

Ha ha! Back in Qatar i had a couple of Aussie friends. Tried to convert them to Marmite. A hopeless cause.

JimJ

Also British Lion Food Store!

-@mithras53

I'd suggest that anyone dealing with them does a little Googling first, just to get a flavour of whom they're dealing with.  To say that they've had mixed reviews over the years is an understatement!

mithras53

Hi jimj,

I've never dealt with them, only sokoni, who provide an excellent service. You may well be right about British Lion.

Davvyx

Hi guys,

I have dealt with British Lion since they started in Bulgaria in 2005, almost 20 years, and never had a problem.  Always go above and beyond.

JimJ

@Davvyx

And many others have had quite the opposite experience, as you are no doubt aware.

It's all out there, either way, for anyone who cares to do a bit of research.

Davvyx

@Davvyx

No, over all these years, I am not aware of any such thing.  Who are these people? There are no negative reports on Google or any of the major search engines.  If you have come across any, please do send links.

grumpyoldbird

@SimCityAT

That's nice to know. I think the only thing that's irreplaceable is my PG Tips. 😋

JimJ

@Davvyx

I don't know what "all these years" means in this context but anyone who's lived here more than just a few is either familiar with the saga, which started the best part of 20 years ago, or has had their head buried in the sand.  Either way, I'm now retired, so I'm afraid that my time of getting paid by the rich or indolent for doing their homework for them is long past. 1f60e.svg

Davvyx

@JimJ

So, you have no links.  That speaks volumes.

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have put aside some posts from this topic. Posts that turned into an argument and potentially defamatory content.

Regards

Bhavna

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles