Obtaining UK tourist visa for Zimbabwean mother in law

Hi

Me and my wife are British Nationals. Her mother is a Zimbabwean national. She would like to visit us in the UK for 3 or 4 months later this year, all at our expense. She has a passport and has recently visited another daughter in Australia on a 6 month tourist visa, she also visits South African relatives regularly, but she has little in savings.

Please can anyone advise on how easy it is to get a UK 3 or 6 month tourist visa for her. We've heard that requests are sometimes turned down because the UK authorities are worried there isn't enough to tie her to country of origin and so she might never return.

Any advice welcome - from successful and unsuccessful applicants!

Regards

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your mother-in-law will need a visitor's visa; she'll need to apply online from where she is currently living, this link will take her straight to the application process on the UK Gov website.

You are correct in thinking that the UK authorities do sometimes turn down applications if they have grounds to think that the applicant will not return leave the UK on or before the expiration of their visa, so any evidence she can provide to sway such doubts will be helpful.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

excellent, many thanks. We are going to try to provide copies of the deeds for her house in Zim, is that the type of evidence you mean?

Hi again.

Things like that, yes.  Also, any current contracts for goods/services linked to that address,

Cynic

Expat Team