Menu
Expat.com

Relocating to Spain / Schools / Cost of living

Last activity 14 February 2024 by jchilton

ertay58

We are looking at relocating to Spain, will be myself, partner, daughter (6), son (2) and our 2 cats. We will be looking at getting our kids into an international school, but a reasonably priced one. So far our favourite is San Alberto Magno, does anybody on here have any experience with this school, if so would you mind sharing? Any other school recommendations are also welcome!

The most appealing area and fair priced rentals seem to be Elche, Gran Alacant or Santa Pola are there any expat residents on here that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences of living in these areas?

I also would like a whole lifestyle change when moving to Spain and do not plan on getting a car, what is the public transport like?

In the UK we have the NHS, how does healthcare work in Spain?

I am sorry about all of the questions, the cost of living is extortionate in the UK right now and we are currently paying £1300 rent a month along with £700 a month nursery costs and would be interested to know if people do feel financially better off in Spain.

We have jobs we will be taking with us that allows us to work remotely and reside in Spain, so we wouldn't need to find a job out there.

rogerroberts22

@ertay58 Remember,  last year Spain experienced its worst heatwave in decades that forced the population to live indoors for over 3 months in front of fans and aircon units.  It will be worse this year because of the terrifying draught it is also suffering.So  It's not the right Country to move to. It's hotter inland so I suggest you look on the Coast where you can get some sea breeze. 

look on the Coast where you will get some wind.

jchilton

International schools are not cheap, and check if their final qualifications are valid to enter the state universities. If you are relocating for good,  the Spanish school system is excellent and shouldn't be ruled out as it will help the whole family integrate in the community instead of only with foreigners. Best find out if your situation makes you eligible. Your kids are young and should adapt easily to the language - both mine started with little castellano and no catalán but had no problems.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Spain's guide articles