Menu
Expat.com

Spain's Financial Problems

Last activity 02 October 2011 by BOSTON MAMA

primetaxconsultants

I have been told that because of Spain's world renown financial problems that nearly everything has increased in cost, particularly for expats.  Has anyone heard or experienced this?  Is anyone paying considerably more for goods and services than say 2 years ago in Spain?

Baldengoals

We have lived in Catalunia for five years and have seen many price increases without anything like commensurate income increases. Two ways in which it may be percieved as worse for the ex-pat are the dramatic fall in the pound euro rate during our period of residency and a widely prevelant Catalunian misconception that all expats are loaded and therefore charge them accordingly. This might give the impression that I percieve the majority of Catalunian service providers as exploitative - a lot of them are.

candydancingtoes

Yes, I do think that prices are going up especially utility bills and groceries.

I have been in spain for over two years.  I tend to buy alot of items from the UK and have friends-family put them in their luggage for me..

Debs

I agree.  Food prices & utility bills have increased considerably.  But, I think this also applies to all countries, not just Spain.  Blame the latest recession.

BOSTON MAMA

Thank you for the responses...
We were wondering the same thing.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Spain's guide articles