Driving a foreign car in Belgium

Hi, I'm from the UK and I'll be moving to Belgium for less than 6 months with my company. I have a full residence and working visa so I will be registered as a Belgian citizen. I want to take my uk car with me but I'm unsure about the legalities of it - do I need to register my car if It'll be in the country for less than 6 months even if I'm technically a resident? If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

Hi, I'm from the UK and I'll be moving to Belgium for less than 6 months with my company. I have a full residence and working visa so I will be registered as a Belgian citizen. I want to take my uk car with me but I'm unsure about the legalities of it - do I need to register my car if It'll be in the country for less than 6 months even if I'm technically a resident? If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

-@Jessicaslate

Hello,

Having a visa and temporary residency does not make you a Belgian citizen!  Be careful about that distinction.

Yes, if you are a resident in Belgium (meaning staying more than 90 days) then you need to register the car in Belgium.  Other threads on this forum discuss the process in depth if you need more information, just search for them.

Romaniac

Hello,

This is all new to me, thank you for clearing that up!

i had read online that as long as my time did not exceed 180 days / i had 6 months to register my car. is this not the case then?

if i return to the uk before 90 days with my car, and then return for another 90 days - am i able to not register it?

thanks!

Hello,
This is all new to me, thank you for clearing that up!

i had read online that as long as my time did not exceed 180 days / i had 6 months to register my car. is this not the case then?

if i return to the uk before 90 days with my car, and then return for another 90 days - am i able to not register it?

thanks!

-@Jessicaslate

According to https://www.belgium.be/en/mobility/vehicle_registration_service,  if you are a resident, then the vehicle must be registered in BE.  They do not stipulate a grace period.  If you hold a residence permit, then you need to register your car there also.  This is typical across the EU member states.  Going in-out of the EU to avoid this is not a legal loophole I would advise trying.

As tourist the car on foreigner's plates can stay up to 6 months in Belgium and EU.

Once you register as resident you have still 6 months to register your car on Belgian plates. If your plan is to go back just make sure to leave few days earlier than 6 months and you will be fine.

Been there and done that. Used a foreign car for my first 6 months and then drove the car back. Not worthy to register here a UK car