Rules for Driving on Provisional license

Hello All,

I recently got my provision license for 18 months. I was wondering if any one knows the rules for driving on provisional license or if someone can guide me for any website to refer ?

Thanks

You got your prov. license after 20 hours of classes from a school ?

Thank you for the information, Yes i got the Prov after 20 hours classes.

Based on info from those sources + driving school (joral, Brugman) and commune (WSP) websites:

Conclusion:
-    After a minimum of 20 hours and passing your theory exam, you'll get a provisional license.  This provisional license, the VR18M, is valid for 18 months.
-  You can take the practical exam 3 months after the date of issue at the earliest. (Exception for foreign license holders for whom the waiting period is waived off)
-  You can carry no more than 2 passengers. Your accompanying passenger(s), have to meet the prerequisites for guides (He/she must be holding a B type driving license for min period of 8 years). This means you cannot drive with a kid accompanying you or a person who does not meet guide requirements. If you carry two passengers, legally they both must meet the guide requirements.
- You're not allowed to drive on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, nor on holidays and days before holidays, from 22:00 until 06:00 the next day.

Thank you for the information Aneesh.

I think to get provisional license there are two ways -
A. 20 hrs from school and then you can drive by yourself. Presence of 8 yrs license holder is for sure not at all required. So I think that also means that my passengers could be any other person. Please confirm the point on passenger requirements. The rules are so damn confusing.

B. Instead of 20 hrs, you may take just 6 hrs lesson and get license issued with 8 yrs license holder mentioning that he will be present with you in car each time you drive and that person's name will come in the license.

A. Incorrect. Passengers must be holding a B type driving license for at least 8 years.

Reference: Belgian Highway Code (or driving rules)

https://www.code-de-la-route.be/textes- … 5-782#art4

Article 3 and 4 of the Belgian highway code describes both provisional licenses. Article 3 describes the 36 months one and Article 4 describes the 18 months one.

The laws are very clear.

Translation of Article 4:

Article 4

A candidate for a B driver's license who passed the theoretical examination who is at least 18 years of age and has completed 20 hours of practical instruction in driving a driving school is entitled to a provisional driving license B allowing him to ride without a guide. This provisional driving license is valid for 18 months.

The provisional driving license B is in accordance with the model set out in Schedule 2 to that by - law.

The holder of the provisional driving license B without a guide may be accompanied by a maximum of two persons meeting the conditions referred to in Article 3 (2) (a), (b) and (c).

Translation of conditions referred in Article 3(2) (a), (b) and (c)

a) he/she must meet the requirements for obtaining a driving license, referred to in Article 3, § 1 st of the Royal Decree of 23 March 1998 on driving licenses;

(B) he/she must have held, for at least 8 years, a Belgian or European driving license valid for the driving of vehicles of category B. A driver who, in accordance with Article 44 (5 ) or In Article 45 of the Royal Decree of 23 March 1998 on driving licenses, can only drive a vehicle that is specifically adapted to his disability, can not be a guide to learning unless the candidate suffers from the same disability And also drives a vehicle specifically adapted to its handicap;

(C) he/she may not have been deprived or may not have been deprived of the right to drive a motor vehicle in the last three years and must have completed any examination required under section 38 of the Act of 16 March 1968 Relating to traffic police;

So, even with an 18 months provisional, you can *legally* carry a maximum of 2 passengers and the passengers must be meeting the above conditions.

Hi Aneesh,

Do you know if the law stays still the same or changed as they had some new regulations for driving from June2017?
What would be the case if someone is travelling with the passengers without any licence. Would they be fined? Can you please share any references/information regarding this?

Many thanks,

DL0711 wrote:

Hi Aneesh,

Do you know if the law stays still the same or changed as they had some new regulations for driving from June2017?
What would be the case if someone is travelling with the passengers without any licence. Would they be fined? Can you please share any references/information regarding this?

Many thanks,

If you hold a provisional license, the passenger must hold a full license. A fine will be handed and a ban from driving if the passenger does not have a full license.

Hello Aneesh,

Do you happen to know what to do with my situation right now, so here is the thing, i went to driving school for 20 hours study, but the instructor told me that i am not good enough to drive independently yet, so he is not giving me the paper that i can use for apply for temporary driving license, i paid a lot of money for this class, now i don't know what to do, thanks

tannie

The only way is to take a couple of more classes and get the paper from the school. No way around :(

Hello Aneesh, thank you so much for your prompt reply, the problem is couple of more classes is not gonna make it, cause i need a looooot of practices, before i went to this driving school, i didn't even touched the steering wheel,  so i was like absolutely 0 skilled, half of this 20 hours i was struggling....anyways, its not cheap class, but guess i need double the price for getting driving license. :nothappy:

thank you again
tannie

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Reminds me of my mother; it took her a lot of training and tests before she got her licence.  The funny thing was after she passed her test, she never drove again, which in a strange way I admire her for, she never felt safe and was concerned for other people (and my dad if she came home with just the steering wheel!). :)

its just shitty that u have to pay ridiculously much for just get a temporary driving license, and u dont get any guarantee for what u paid, i guess your mom already got tired of driving with all the training and tests, your encourage can easily ran out like that, aslo, Belgium is the country that i known with most expensive cost at driving school .

Both the UK and Austria are quite expensive to pass your driving test averaging €1,500.

tannie88 wrote:

its just shitty that u have to pay ridiculously much for just get a temporary driving license, and u dont get any guarantee for what u paid, i guess your mom already got tired of driving with all the training and tests, your encourage can easily ran out like that, aslo, Belgium is the country that i known with most expensive cost at driving school .

Hi,

In Paris, you will pay more than 2000€... And Germany is also much more expansive than Belgium.

But you know, Nobody forces you to drive with a car that requires a driver's license. You can very well buy an AIXAM...

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the provisional license rules. The police stopped me last week for a routine control and I was in the car with a passenger who forgot their documents at home. She has driven for a long time and has a valid license, just not with her that day. The police told me that I will be called to go to court and they “might take the license”.

That's all I was left with and I'm wrecking my brain trying to find a solid answer to see what the consequences might be. I'm not sure what will happen and how long the wait will be. I was actually planning on getting my permanent license soon as I've had the provisional one for a year already. Can anyone advise on this?

Hello,

Belgian laws are clear in terms of legal documents.  It is compulsory to have your identity papers, your driving license as well as the papers of the vehicle in case of control.  Any absence is punishable.

Can the company issue the 'company car' if I have a provisional licence of 18 months (after 20 hrs of Driving) ?

If that is your status, then you are in fact an unlicensed driver; there is more likely to be a restriction on the Fleet Insurance Policy; I'd check with your fleet manager first.

Rohit45 wrote:

Can the company issue the 'company car' if I have a provisional licence of 18 months (after 20 hrs of Driving) ?

are not a full

If you are NOT a full driving license holder then no, doesn't matter how long one has held the license. I spoke to my insurance broker and that was his reponse.

Based on my experience in Belgium - Some companies do provide company cars, if you have a provisional license (the one you get after 20 hours of lessons which permits you to drive alone). Any violation you make to the rules on driving with a provisional license - company or your insurance will not cover.

I was working in capgemini and my colleagues in capegmini holiding the provisional license had the company car.
it may depend on company i think. But i dont think any reason of not giving company car.

Hello,

I got my driving license abroad (out of EU) in 2008.

When i came to Belgium i converted my driving license into Belgian one in 2016.

Am i allowed to be a passenger with a holder f provisional driving license?

Do they take into account issuance date of my driving license abroad or they will take into account the date of conversion for the 8 years calculation?

Thank you in advance

Based on my knowledge, you should have a Belgian license for 8 years to do so. Send an email to your gemeente and they will respond with the answer.

Hello,

Official rules are :
I - must be accompanied by a guide who:
- has held a Belgian or European B driving license for at least 8 years;
  - is not or has not been deprived of the right to drive in the past 3 years;

II - fulfills the conditions of residence in Belgium.
The guide is not mentioned on the provisional driving license
Only one other passenger can be seated in the vehicle.
- must drive a vehicle:
- of category B
- with an L
- fitted with a second interior mirror and a handbrake accessible by the guide
- without trailer

III - cannot drive from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next morning on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, the eve of statutory holidays and public holidays
legal

IV - cannot transport things for commercial purposes

V - can only drive on Belgian territory

Applying for a pass from the municipal administration will not help.

The date on your Belgian license corresponds to the date of issue of the driving license. And not on the date of issue of the driver's license from your home country.

Hello All,

I have completed 20h of classes from Driving school in Belgium and applied for a provisional license. One of my friend is having an European driving license which is given before 8+ years and few years back exchanged it for Belgian One.  Right now he resides in Belgium.

The start date in his European Driving License & exchanged Belgian License is same ( Start date is 8 + years back).

So can I take my friend as a guide as a guide when I drive the car with Provisional license ?

I understood from above discussions that it's possible but just wanted to confirm to be very sure.

Thank you !

You need to get his name updated in your provisional license as a guide. Write to your commune with his license details and they will tell you if he is eligible to be your guide.

Aneesh wrote:

You need to get his name updated in your provisional license as a guide. Write to your commune with his license details and they will tell you if he is eligible to be your guide.

I referred to the link http://www.goca.be/upload/documents_rbp … _DF_v5.pdf shared in the above comments . In Page 8, Question 3 I see the below.

So I'm confused if the name of the guide need to be mentioned in the provisional license :(  I've completed my 20h of classes and hold a Foreign driving license.

Question:

I hold a provisional "18 months" driving license issued after 02/02/2014.
Can I be accompanied by a licensed driving instructor during the apprenticeship
which is not mentioned on my provisional driving license and which at this time is not
linked to an approved driving school?

Reply:

Yes, provided the licensed driving instructor meets the conditions to be
guide, namely to be registered in Belgium, to have held a driving license for at least 8 years
drive Belgian or European B and not be or have been in the last 3 years,
deprived of the right to drive.

But the other link says different :(https://www.code-de-la-route.be/actuali … s2-v15-782

§ 2. The holder of the provisional driving license B must be accompanied by a guide who meets the following conditions:

e) it must be mentioned on the provisional driving license and take place at the front of the vehicle.

No, the information is correct. I made a comment (¤27). This is the information on a police summary sheet.

Point "e" makes sense. Because it is required that a second mirror be placed on the windshield for the guide. How do you want the guide to correctly assess the risks if he is sitting behind .............

phipiemar wrote:

No, the information is correct. I made a comment (¤27). This is the information on a police summary sheet.

Point "e" makes sense. Because it is required that a second mirror be placed on the windshield for the guide. How do you want the guide to correctly assess the risks if he is sitting behind .............

I would be hiring an exclusive learning driver's vehicle (and not our own one) which would have second mirror, L (also painted on the back like that of driving school) , has two sets of accelerator, brake & clutch.  The vehicle is exact replica of the one in driving school.

The leasing company has asked me to fill the name of the guide in the application when I apply to hire a car for practice.

In that case, if I have my provisional license (without any guide name added in my license) and my guide has 10+ years with European driving license, am I allowed to take him as my guide  ?

In my understanding he fulfills the conditions mentioned in Comment #27

YES

Hello All,

I have got my provisional driving license B for automatic car. I would like to practice some more hours driving before I give the final test. Do you know of car rentals that allow you to rent automatic cars on provisional driving license?

Sorry I do not know any such for Automatic cars

I have questions if some one give me answer please  . I was driving in Belgium  that was normal 50 /hour and I was driving  88 /hour .  Now I have pointment in court
What wel be rules .

Hamid barekzai wrote:

I have questions if some one give me answer please  . I was driving in Belgium  that was normal 50 /hour and I was driving  88 /hour .  Now I have pointment in court
What wel be rules .

Hello,

Why did you put your question in 2 topics?

Depending on your liability (if you have already had driving problems), the law provides for the following penalties:

A fine of € 320.00 to € 4,000.00

A compulsory deprivation of the right to drive from 8 days to 5 years

Hi Aneesh,
Regarding Belgian driving license, I was following your comments/suggestions, even some posts from 2014. I've two quick questions for you 🙂.
First question, I'm new in Belgium and was wondering that the rules in obtaining Belgian driving license (DL) still valid as you described in the thread given below ?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 0#p1849480

I've Belgian resident permit. On the other side, I had US DL which was recently expired, however I still have valid Indian DL. I've already booked the theory test (B category) in Deurne with English translator, which is scheduled next week. My second question is - After I pass the theory test, can I directly book the practical test without taking any lessons from a driving school or without a provisional DL ? Kindly note that I have several years of experiences in left hand side driving and also driving in India. Therefore, I do not wish to go for any driving school prior to take the practical test.
Appreciate your suggestions, thanks !
Best,
SK

Hi  Everyone
DO YOU KNOW about police control because i was driving my car and i had my friend in car with provisional license and police control came so on 25TH of October i have to go to court, i am wondering about the penalty or fine?
Kind regards
Kamran

Please anybody know what is palenality if i dive in belgium with provisional license L without guid and also without displaying L in front or back of the car. Then what is palenality if i contol anywhere.. Please anyboday know about this... Thank you.. We are have any warning. Or other something becouse my guid is going to vacanse..