Want to bring electronic goods through airport

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in bring a security system for a relatives house in the Dominican Republic. Since the value of the item is over $500 it would be charged  taxes at customs. I keep seeing that if you are a citizen/resident you are exempt from duty tax. I'm not sure if it's true or it would apply in my situation since this is the first time I'm attempting to bring a expensive item and not get surprised at customs over there. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

If it is in your luggage when you arrive at the airport, nothing will happen.  I brought in a security camera system (8 cameras and the hard drive) in my suitcase, no questions asked. My son brought his gaming desktop with multiple monitors, no questions asked.  I think a problem would arise with multiples of the same item, because then you would be selling them, not for personal use.

Same here never had a problem with the things i have in luggage. When I want to bring a lot of electric good ,I send them in a box with a shipping company. 

Residents have no exemption over US 200.  Citizens have exemption increases normally before Christmas. This year it was US 3,000 per. Person I think.

The above responses echo the experiences of almost everyone!  Take things out of the boxes and pack em!

Thank you for the responses! Something I forgot to add was that I will be entering the country through Cibao International Airport(STI) and they have an Xray machine which they like to check the contents of people's luggage before exiting the airport. Were your experiences through this airport or Las Americas International Airport(SDQ)?

@Traveler42thats at most airport here..take advise of what was shared in the thread

Planning to move my 65" smart TV to DR in May from California.  Wondering if it's cheaper to just purchase a new one in the DR when I arrive vs the cost of packing, shipping and any duties.  Does anyone know the cost of large screen TV's in the DR?

Depending on brand they are getting cheaper and cheaper. I saw one under US 750

If you are getting residency, you can bring in a container of personal/household items within 6 months of obtaining residency with a full exoneration of import duty. It's well worth it!

1f44d.svg@planner

Thank you everyone for the information, very much appreciated!