Sailing & Living Near a Marina

We're envisioning retiring to Portugal in 18-24 mos and know we must visit Portugal to find the right place. I have been to the Algarve before thoughts of a European retirement entered my head.

We enjoy sailing and live on Lake Erie but never have been able to do it enough. I wondered about renting near a marina where we could discover like-minded friends and crew on their boats.

The Algarve has 5 marinas, Lisbon has 14 and Setubal, which I've read about, has 4. I've read that the Algarve is more sheltered and thus have more days of good sailing. There are about 3-4 terms for every sailing maneuver in English and I expect the same may be true of Portugese so that would be a learning curve. Does anyone sail? Are there expat sailing groups? If you have suggestions I'd be glad to know them!

Some help here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/algarvesailing/

Algarve Sailing is a group for Algarve residents interested in sailing and boating, shared boat ownership, sharing, sailing together, ...

Other than on the Algarve and near the mouth of the Tejo I see hardly any sail boats. I would think that for most sailors the Atlantic coast of Portugal isn't very attractive. At least not as attractive as e.g. the Mediterranean, which is full of sail boats.

It's attractive, but there's a drawback.... the Atlantic has nothing to do with the calm Mediterranean sea...

@felinecattus

Marinas are one thing: often impersonal, as expensive as in France, the ones you list, plus Vila Real de Santo Antonio - a busy, friendly town - on the Portuguese side of the Guadiana and Ayamonte in Spain, opposite, on the other side of the Guadiana.

There are also anchorages, notably on the island of Culatra opposite Olhão, and in Alcoutim - a charming village - on the way up the Guadiana, a place where cruisers spend the winter.

Sailing along the Algarve coast, past a sandy low-lying coastline, is of little interest, then further north around Cape St. Vicente  is beautiful, but the land is inaccessible. You can go to the islands: Azores, Madeira, Canaries, or go to Gibraltar and then, eventually, back to the Mediterranean.

Faced with all these constraints, we opted for the countryside and, with regret, sold our superb Oceanis 400, which had given us so much happiness in the Mediterranean.

We wish you all the best.

@felinecattus

Greetings , i am a french expat in Cairo,

I have a plan pre retire in 2 years and living near a marina with a nice crowd. I want to buy a property as well so in my consideration come health facility, tax on pension etc.

I am currently considering Portugal and Madeira, Sicily and Alicante.

Maybe we could join hands and share info we get on Portugal?

Cheers,