Visit Vietnam for first time

I'm planning to visit Vietnam this year. However, I've never been there before, so some advise would be appreciated:

• I love the sea, nature, swimming and snorkeling.  I would like to avoid very touristy places and the crowded tourist traps.  Which region should I travel to? Where can I find the best beaches / snorkeling spots?

• I'm a bit confused about the price of accommodation. According to these forums (cost of living topics), renting a house should be much cheaper than Thailand. People  are saying that for  2-300 USD / month you can rent a nice apartment etc. On the other hand, prices I see on booking.com or airbnb are totally different. Those are super expensive. 2 weeks costs 1000 USD or more, pretty much like elsewhere in the region. So I know that most info in these forums applies to long term rentals  and short term stay is a different story. But what's the best way to find and book  accommodation in Vietnam? Is there a recommended web site I should visit? Or is really Airbnb the best way to go?

• What about restaurants? Are those affordable, like in Thailand or they are more expensive?

I would like to find accommodation (house, apartment) on the beach or nearby and wanna stay as long as my tourist visa allows me, so about 3 months.

Thanks in advance

I know  it provides more peace of mind to book accommodations ahead of time but I've been in Vietnam for eight years now and I'm quite sure you'll get a much better deal with feet on the ground upon arrival (preferably with the help of a Vietnamese friend). You can find a cheap room for a few days until you score a more permanent place. Trust me, you will save in the long run. Look for a room where the prices are clearly posted.

Food is cheap outside of tourist and expat areas but beware of the “foreigner” upcharge.  Again I prefer to go to places that have their prices clearly posted. Some vendors get dong/dollar signs in their eyes when they see a foreigner approaching.

I'd like to stress that most vendors are honest, hard working folks but there are always a few bad apples wherever you go.

I hope this helps you out a little.  Welcome to Vietnam.

Dear,! I'm happy to hear about your  thought :You love the sea, nature, swimming and snorkeling .

I think that when you come to VIETNAM, you should spend time on diving to see coral  in the coastal city of Vung Tau. You will be immersed in the rich and beautiful marine ecosystem on the ocean floor.

I'm planning to visit Vietnam this year. However, I've never been there before, so some advise would be appreciated:
I love the sea, nature, swimming and snorkeling.  I would like to avoid very touristy places and the crowded tourist traps.  Which region should I travel to? Where can I find the best beaches / snorkeling spots?

I'm a bit confused about the price of accommodation. According to these forums (cost of living topics), renting a house should be much cheaper than Thailand. People  are saying that for  2-300 USD / month you can rent a nice apartment etc. On the other hand, prices I see on booking.com or airbnb are totally different. Those are super expensive. 2 weeks costs 1000 USD or more, pretty much like elsewhere in the region. So I know that most info in these forums applies to long term rentals  and short term stay is a different story. But what's the best way to find and book  accommodation in Vietnam? Is there a recommended web site I should visit? Or is really Airbnb the best way to go?

What about restaurants? Are those affordable, like in Thailand or they are more expensive?

I would like to find accommodation (house, apartment) on the beach or nearby and wanna stay as long as my tourist visa allows me, so about 3 months.

Thanks in advance

-@tomgmu

I think your first question has gone unanswered because there aren't really any "best" beaches in Vietnam despite its long coastline. A lot of coastal areas have been encroached upon.  Either that, or all the regular posters want to keep their favorite places a secret.

There's Phu Quoc Island, which is apparently over-developed and over-priced, so not so popular these days. Con Dao islands are intentionally under-developed and require a 3-hour boat trip to get there. On the mainland, there's Vung Tau, which is massively popular with locals, especially on weekends and holidays, Mui Ne which is a tiny "hamlet" that is supposed to have good kite-surfing. Then, there are the usual suspects: Nha Trang, the little beach near Hoi An, and My Khe beach outside of Da Nang, which are well-known and probably crowded. Although Vietnam is not very popular with international tourists, it is one of the most densely populated countries in the world so it's not easy to escape the crowds. Maybe you should look into Quy Nhon?

Regarding the cost of accommodation and dining, it's generally quite reasonable if you look around a bit. Expensive-looking seafood places that are located right on the beach usually are.