Helmets in VN

I'm probably going to be riding a scooter in VN wen I go there and I'm taking a class to get my motorcycle license before I leave for VN. So my question is, are the helmets in VN DOT or SNELL rated? Or only if I purchase imported helmets like Bell, Shoei, HJC,... will they have ratings?

Thanks

I am no expert in this matter, but friends have said to me that you can get a better helmet overseas, one that's rated and certified. You can buy them in VN, but you'll pay a price and fakes are everywhere. So watch out.

@Lennerd

Thanks for the tips

I bought one at one of the bike shops geared to expats. You pay the price, but it isn't more expensive then buying it back at home.

Looking at the size of it I wouldn't bother bringing one unless your shipping a container or something :-)

@RCP79

Thanks!

Depends where you will be, but Vietfullface, 214 Võ Văn Tần, Phường 5, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, have reasonable priced helmets, LS2, Yohe, HJC etc.

You can find their website at their name dotCOM. They'll deliver if you want, but best to try on.

There's other foreign owned outfits like DC Motor and Saigon Motorcycles selling similar. Always a little more expensive, and don't seem to have the such high turnover.

I ride a mid sized Honda motorbike, a dirt bike and a scooter. Around 20,000, 6000, and 4000 km respectively per year around Vietnam.

I'm all the gear all the time on the Honda and the dirt bike. On the scooter it's flip flops and usually a 3/4 from HJC.

Whichever, I've been happy with the 6 or 7 helmets I've brought from them over here.

@MyGuess

Thanks! I'll be moving to Da Nang.

@qnbui

When are you going there?

All four of us (me, wife, 2 daughters) all wear "Royal" brand. Available in better helmet stores and via Lazada.

I got my 2XL size via Lazada shipped to Hội An from a vendor in HCMC.

inshot_20240329_1521155932645983450146928073.jpg

@qnbui

Take a look at this site with reviews of helmets available in VN.

Helmets in Vietnam: Brands, Quality and Prices

GF and I wear LS2 Pioneer Mx436 Dualsport Helmet(Link, Google search results). Not too over-the-top expensive, at ~3 million each. Remember what they say, "$20 helmet, $20 head". Scroll to the bottom of that Helmets in Vietnam: Brands, Quality and Prices page to see price/availability. I didn't buy ours there, but price was about the same.

ls2-pioneer-mx436-dualsport-helmet.png

I've bought many parts from that dealer, most recently front drive sprocket and rear wheel sprocket, front brake pads, excellent quality chain, new carburettor, synth oil, and on and on. They know their stuff. It's been a couple of years since I've been to their shop (showroom, rental office, mechanic bays) in D2, but it was impressive. I trust them and can vouch for their not peddling fakes .

I do all my own maintenance/repairs, as none of the VN Honda dealers will touch my bike, due to it being an import. That, and the fact I don't trust the curbside shops to work on a bike they're totally unfamiliar with (couple of pee-poor experiences).

@Svho

About 3 months or so

@OceanBeach92107

Thanks! Are they safety rated?

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks Aidan! The LS2 are very reasonable and safety rated.

@qnbui

I'm going to buy two of these next week, from Lazada. LS2 Rebellion Helmet  (in the "Gloss Brushed Alloy" colour)

These Rebellion helmets are better suited to in-city/scooter travel.

If the Lazada link appears in Vietnamese, language preference can be changed at top right corner of that page

@Aidan in HCMC

those look nice and inexpensive! Can't believe delivery is only 21K for next day or am I reading that wrong?

@Aidan in HCMC
those look nice and inexpensive! Can't believe delivery is only 21K for next day or am I reading that wrong?

-@qnbui

21K shipping, if delivery is to HCMC. 60K to Phu Quoc, for one (88K shipping for the two I'm ordering). Still, a pittance.1f600.svg

These are actually considered to be (quasi-)"expensive" here. They'd certainly be costlier if you were to buy one in the States.

@Aidan in HCMC

Yeah, looks like those go for $130 on Amazon and that's before tax. Definitely a great deal!

OK how is this possible with this price? Are they fakes?

https://www.lazada.vn/products/mu-bao-h … 5736.html?

@qnbui

LOL!

In a word, yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoei-X-14/s?k=Shoei+X-14

There's fake everything here, if it suits someone's fancy. Hell, I've even developed a keen eye for spotting fake BIC lighters. I kid you not.

Fake (but decent looking quality) Doc Marten's, fake Levi's jeans, fake Nike footwear, Coco Chanel etc etc.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks!

OK how is this possible with this price? Are they fakes?
https://www.lazada.vn/products/mu-bao-h … 5736.html?-@qnbui

What Aidan said 👍

Also, note it's "Royal" brand, so a knockoff

@OceanBeach92107
Thanks! Are they safety rated?

-@qnbui

Yes.

Keep in mind, we only ride e-bikes & 50 cc bikes, so we feel we have adequate protection. 

inshot_20240330_1607564376698677191035403084.jpg

@OceanBeach92107

Nice pearlies! For only 200K, you certainly got your money's worth!

Healthy lookin' choppers (for an old fella1f609.svg)

With teeth that handsome, I'd definitely recommend a full-face helmet :D

@OceanBeach92107
Nice pearlies! For only 200K, you certainly got your money's worth!
Healthy lookin' choppers (for an old fella1f609.svg)
With teeth that handsome, I'd definitely recommend a full-face helmet big_smile.png-@Aidan in HCMC

The ₫200,000 VNĐ was only for a cleaning.

However, in 1993 I did have $12,000.00 USD worth of work done to replace Army dental work & cosmetically correct a congenital defect in my smile.

Over 30 years later that's turning out to be one of the best investments I've ever made in myself.

A good use of an inheritance.

@qnbui

Is this for a few weeks in Vietnam or you are going to call it quit and go for a while?

Ordered two of these yesterday, one medium (there was no "small") for my GF, one XL for me.

Gloss Brushed Alloy colour.

The seller phoned us (twice) to confirm our intent to buy. Shipping C.O.D. means that if we refused the delivery, or if we were unavailable to accept the delivery, the helmets would be sent back to the seller with them being stuck with the (two-way) shipping charge(s).

Total for the two, including shipping, was 3,400,000 VND.

479dcdb8d047c675241ae5a6f130470ca6ed9542-large__79875.1682645750.jpg?c=2

e3a94897884abe675581c4f143b42d2d69aba544-large__86839.1682645751.jpg?c=2

YouTube reviews, here.

BIG SAVINGS purchasing in VN over purchasing stateside.

@Svho

Retirement

@Aidan in HCMC

Those look very cool! And you'll be matchy matchy 1f60b.svg

I think that I have written this, before but was a while ago so it is worth a mention.   Most people from the West have a slightly oval shaped head if viewed from the top while many less expensive helmets in VN are shaped to fit a head that is round if viewed from the top.   I am not sure but this head shape may be the common one in Vietnam.   As a result, on Westerners, these helmets may fit snug front and back but with a gap on the sides.   Imported helmets or the higher quality local shops should have helmet that are a good fit on people of European origin.   As the OP may be a Viet-American, this may not apply in his case but it may for others.

@THIGV

Thanks! I think my head is not as round as westerners. I'm getting a helmet for my motorcycle class this weekend and if I like it, I'll bring it with me to VN.

Received both yesterday.

Quite pleased with the fit(s) and the (expected) LS2 quality.

I think that I have written this, before but was a while ago so it is worth a mention.   Most people from the West have a slightly oval shaped head if viewed from the top while many less expensive helmets in VN are shaped to fit a head that is round if viewed from the top.   I am not sure but this head shape may be the common one in Vietnam.   As a result, on Westerners, these helmets may fit snug front and back but with a gap on the sides.   Imported helmets or the higher quality local shops should have helmet that are a good fit on people of European origin.   As the OP may be a Viet-American, this may not apply in his case but it may for others.

-@THIGV

I think you're giving to much credit to the manufacturers of those plastic hats. By that I mean that I believe the only thought which was put into the design of those "helmets" is that they fit as wide a segment of the consumer base as possible.

Though not as popular/common "Asian fit sunglasses" (Link), "Asian fit helmets" (Link) are available, though truth be told most of those are just a marketing ploy.

I've owned dozens of decent helmets over the years, each with sufficient padding to accommodate all manner of noggin.

Forget about SNELL rated helmets here . You won't be doing any Moto GP or Isle of Man stints even if you're foolish enough to buy a bike with a real gearbox and clutch .

You can buy the highly rated LS2 full face helmet in Vietnam for the same price as they sell them for in the UK and EU. They're DOT, and EU approved, and sold in America too. Don't get an open face helmet because a lot of people hit the road face first here. Don't buy a helmet on the internet, a helmet should tightly fit your head initially, they give as they're worn. I bought a black helmet which attracts the heat like a solar panel. Go for white or siver.

I've been riding motorbikes of all sizes for over 45 years on four continents and have toured Europe and New Zealand on big Moto Guzzis. Vietnam is a more hazardous than anywhere I've ever ridden because of the reckless stupidity of the local riders. For that reason, and the low average speeds required to stay alive on the roads here, I bought a second hand 2006 twist and go Yamaha Nouvo shit box on arrival in 2016 for $200. Three months later I spent another $200 on a new piston, carb, coil, drive belt and primary drive parts. Parts, repairs, and servicing are cheap here at the manufacture's authorised dealerships. My bike has been as good as gold thereafter. You should buy a Honda because of the number of dealerships (there's one on every street corner) or rent various bikes for six months to get the feel of what you're comfortable with .  You'll rarely ever be riding at over 80km/h (50mph) and more often than not you'll be riding between 40-50kmh. Try not to ride with the idiots in 'the swarm', they swarm because they're all in the same IQ category.

I always wear full face helmets just in case a 4WD runs over my head, or in case I hit the tarmac face first. Luckily I'm not 2 metres tall, if you are then you'll struggle to find clothing, shoes, and a motorbike which fits your frame. Hoi An is the best place to have clothes tailor made. I bought some hand made shoes in Da Lat . If your wife needs a scooter style motorbike make sure it has ABS and don't buy a Vespa because they weigh a ton, are easily damaged, and are stupidly expensive to buy and repair. These small wheels on a lot of bikes (Honda Lead) are also the last thing you need when you hit a pot hole too. Buy twelve months of travel insurance before you fly too .

@Tediuki

I'm moving to Da Nang, not Saigon but thanks for all your info!

. You should buy a Honda because of the number of dealerships (there's one on every street corner) ...

Good point.   Even the small crossroad villages out in the provinces seem to have a Honda dealership right in the center of town.  I bought my wife an Air Blade as a sort of a wedding present for both of us and it proved trouble free.   I had it serviced at the nearby dealership strictly according to the table in the manual.   When I sold it to my brother-in-law he was impressed by the fact that it had been dealer serviced and I don't think it cost much more than the back-alley grease pit.

Hoi An is the best place to have clothes tailor made. I bought some hand made shoes in Da Lat .

A little off topic but who am I to criticize.  My wife informed me when we visited there that the tailors in the old city of Hue are supposedly the best in the nation.   I have no evidence to back that up except the one that the wife always gives me:   "I know because I am Vietnamese."  I have learned to accept that as indisputable.1f60e.svg1f60d.svg

How did the shoes work out?  I found that off the rack shoes are tough to find for westerners.   It's not only the size (length and width) but the fact that the lasts used have a low arch even with a custom shop.   I don't mean on the bottom as much as on top across the lace area.  Look at your own feet before you go and when you get there, be sure that the cobbler understands.

@qnbui. I bought a good new Bell Helmet at a U.S. Swap meet that for me correctly for $20 bucks and brought it to Vietnam with me.  Proved to be good thing as the quality of the helmet here does not seem to be as good.   Double check getting a driver's license here?  ... j.o.

@grandaddy-O

You lucked out! That's a steal! I bought a bell helmet also and will bring to VN too.

Double check getting a driver's license here?  ... j.o.

-@grandaddy-O

If you are from a western country and don't speak the Vietnamese language your best bet may be to attempt to get a motorcycle license in your home country.   Try to get one with the furthest out expiration date you can.   This can be converted in Vietnam, but the VN license will have an expiration date that matches you home country license.   (Details on how to  convert have changed since I got mine so I won't go into details.)

In the case of Ahn Bui, assuming that he can read and write Tiếng Việt, he might be better off to take both the written and driving test in Da Nang and get a license that will not expire.  Other returning overseas Vietnamese may be able to give the details and the "how to".

When it comes to helmets in Vietnam, you'll find a mix of options. While some locally produced helmets might not have DOT or SNELL ratings, many imported brands like Bell, Shoei, and HJC typically come with these certifications.

These imported helmets tend to offer higher levels of protection and are often preferred by riders who prioritize safety.

If you're looking for a helmet with specific ratings, opting for one of these imported brands is a good bet. Plus, they often come with additional features like better ventilation and comfort padding. Safe travels 1f642.svg