Contractual ties over request on NOL for RPT application

Hello,

I have been working in Malaysia for quite some time ( 8 years) and now decided to submit an RPT application. I heard from my colleagues that my company would request contractual ties or service bonds ranging between 5 to 10 years for foreign employees who want to request a No Objection Letter (NOL ) for RPT application.

From what I understand, this is usually not the case, as what I heard from another friend of mine working at a different company, he never had to sign such an agreement with his company.

This seems to be unfair to me as the benefit of RPT is that I can be flexible when I want to move to another company in Malaysia. I'm wondering what is the legality of such a case and how I can ensure that I do not need to sign such an agreement. Will consulting with a lawyer help in this scenario?

Appreciate any feedback and advice.

Thank you

RPT or no RPT , signing a contract/bond for 5-10 years sounds unfair and probably not legal. Not sure what industry you work in but a contract with mutually agreed term of notice period(1month -3 months generally) is a common practice since many years.