Menu
Expat.com

Help! I need some solution to this bank/card fraud issue in VN

Last activity 10 April 2024 by Ungarb

drjosh

Hello house!

Can I get some advice on what to do in the following situation?

Some 23 million VND was stolen from my account which I reported to the bank immediately on Dec 25, 2023 (The first time it ever happened to me in almost 4 decades). The bank asked me to file for a refund and wait at least 45 days before I can ask about it. This I did.

Long story short, we are now back and forth. It looks like they don't want to refund it. They continue to claim that I bought something (and up till now, we don't know the something!) on Facebook which I never did in my whole life. This is so convoluted as the address of the so called seller who deducted the money without any OTP message to prove any consent or intent to purchase what is not even specified in the analysis document. I tried calling FB and they said they don't know anything about this. The VISA card center requests that all fraud issues be sorted with the issuing bank.

Please, what do I do in this case? Is there any organization in VN that fights for people's rights and justice in this matter? The name of the bank is Agribank.

Thank you all for your attention.

OceanBeach92107

Hello house!
Can I get some advice on what to do in the following situation?

Some 23 million VND was stolen from my account which I reported to the bank immediately on Dec 25, 2023 (The first time it ever happened to me in almost 4 decades). The bank asked me to file for a refund and wait at least 45 days before I can ask about it. This I did.

Long story short, we are now back and forth. It looks like they don't want to refund it. They continue to claim that I bought something (and up till now, we don't know the something!) on Facebook which I never did in my whole life. This is so convoluted as the address of the so called seller who deducted the money without any OTP message to prove any consent or intent to purchase what is not even specified in the analysis document. I tried calling FB and they said they don't know anything about this. The VISA card center requests that all fraud issues be sorted with the issuing bank.

Please, what do I do in this case? Is there any organization in VN that fights for people's rights and justice in this matter? The name of the bank is Agribank.

Thank you all for your attention.

-@drjosh

Clarifying:

You are a US citizen in Vietnam with an account at Agribank?

You have a Visa card with them?

Is it a debit/atm card or a credit card?

ajairon

@drjosh are you sure? checkouts and payments via Facebook from inside Vietnam? .  Have you ask for a report of sent SMS's and/or OTP's to your registered cellphone number?

Your history is a little weird having the details you have shared, maybe you and the agents in the bank are having troubles in translations.

good luck

Ungarb

The exact same thing happened to my wife who is Vietnamese. Several weeks ago, around midnight, she started receiving a series of text message indicating that charges were being made against her Vietnam bank account. Before she could block the account, 20m Vnd had been debited from her account. The next day she went to the bank and was told that these charges were the result of purchases she had made on Facebook, something that she had never done and did not do. The bank advised her that it would take 45 days for them to "research" this matter and process a refund.

Aidan in HCMC

@drjosh  @Ungarb

Which bank(s)?

Ungarb

Vietcombank

drjosh

@Ungarb Thank you for your comment. Kindly let me know how you solves this issue. Any updates about this yet?

drjosh

@OceanBeach92107

I am a non-US citizen in Vietnam with an account at Agribank

Yes, I have a Visa card with them.

It is a debit/atm card.

In a later post, @Ungarb said his wife also experienced this issue.

Any suggestions are welcome.

OceanBeach92107

@OceanBeach92107
I am a non-US citizen in Vietnam with an account at Agribank

Yes, I have a Visa card with them.

It is a debit/atm card.

In a later post, @Ungarb said his wife also experienced this issue.

Any suggestions are welcome.

-@drjosh

Your profile says you are a US citizen...?

Since your card isn't a credit card, you may not have the same purchase protections normally afforded to Visa cards.

Ungarb

Thsis afternoon, sms' from the bank indicated that, in round numbers, of the USD $667 maliciously withdrawn from my wife's account, they have credited the account in the amount of USD$ 419. Monday she is going to the bank to query when the remaining $248 will be refunded.

ajairon

@OceanBeach92107  SAMOA

Ungarb

The last of the purloined funds have been credited to my wife' s account

Aidan in HCMC

@OceanBeach92107  SAMOA        -@ajairon

drjosh.png

Samea, Samoa is the member's self-reported place of residence prior to arriving in Vietnam.

The member's self-reported nationality is American.

Aidan in HCMC
    The last of the purloined funds have been credited to my wife' s account

-@Ungarb

Good to hear that, Ungarb.

Any idea who the perp was?

OceanBeach92107

@OceanBeach92107  SAMOA        -@ajairon

drjosh.png

Samea, Samoa is the member's self-reported place of residence prior to arriving in Vietnam.
The member's self-reported nationality is American.

-@Aidan in HCMC

American Samoans do hold a US Passport

drjosh

@Ungarb Great to hear that the funds have been refunded. Any idea who the fraudster was?

Ungarb

No idea

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Opening a bank account in Vietnam
    Opening a bank account in Vietnam

If you have decided to settle in Vietnam, you will definitely need to open a bank account. Not only will this be ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles