Birth Certificate in Laos

I live and work in Laos since 2012, I am old men and live in relationship with Lao National woman, not married and actually we received our daughter in January 2024. We made the born hospital certificate and I was including as natural father , but my baby girl last name is the mother.

She made a born certificate in her hometown province and i was include as father with me data, due I need to send to my Argentina Embassy in Thailand due Argentina and Laos haven't diplomatic representatives .

My question is if we can change the last name for my last name or this is not allow for the Laos government for not are married.

Any suggestion or comment are welcome

Mnay Thanks

Why do you want to change your daughters last name?

Could your wife get a name change done at the hospital as your name is registered as the father.

Do the same in her hometown province.

As far as I am aware married or not should not make any difference.

The birth should also have been registered in the family book (phim khopkua) by the village headman. The family book is an integral part of Lao culture and community life.

The department of citizen management, which is part of the ministry of home affairs may be worth approaching.

There are businesses in Vientiane that may help too.

As you are working in Laos your employer would have a HR dept to provide you with a valid work visa. They may well be able to assist you.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi, sorry for a delayed reply  and many thanks for your comments

if you ask my for the last name , because i would like she has my last name, and to prevent some trouble could appear when request the Argentina Nationality, Only this reason.

As per my girlfriend if she has a her family name . probably will be more easy include she in the  mother's family book that with my family name and since I sincerely do not know the laws of Laos and since we are not married, it seemed to me in the first instance the most appropriate thing for us.

Actually the birth certificate already made for a ministry of home affairs in Xayaburi province, my concern in this moment i need this certificate attested for the MOFA Laos , and due we are not married, i don't know what problem will coming with this.

you mentioned businesses in vientiane that can handle this , do you know or could suggested one ?

Thanks and regards

Eduardo

I cannot see a problem even though you are not married.

Get your partner to contact MOFA to ask where to get the birth certificate attested and if your last name can be put onto a new copy of the certificate.

Type Lawyers in Vientiane into your search engine, try contacting them to see if they can assist. and ask them for advise.

Did you register the birth with your Embassy in Thailand?

Hi, Stumpy

I'm going to let my administration office find out how I should do it or contact someone to advise me, I'll probably have to pay a fine since I'm not married (I imagine).

my partner  living in the Xayaburi province where all is more complicate and I am in luang Prabang for my Job.

We have had bad experiences with attesting documentation in MOFA , due they didn't use the usually stamp for legalize this document. In the past i contracted a Lawyer and this office nothing didn't do much to certify a simple property title, which was not accepted by my embassy in this time.

I cannot register yet the birth in my Embassy due need the birth certificate properly attesting as per the information they sent to me.

As you can seen it is not easy in Laos.

Hi EddyLaos

Good to hear you are seeking help through your admin office. Better than you, as an individual, trying to do it. I personally have never heard of anyone having to pay a fine for being unmarried.

When I got married (over 20 years ago), it took me almost 1 year to get all the paperwork in order with frequent trips back to Australia.

It is definitely a lot quicker and easier these days.

Yes, Laos is not an easy country to get things done.