Health care and household expenses

Hi!

im a UK citizen but have a Greek passport too as my dad was Greek.

im looking to move to the Athens area early next year.

im trying to get an idea of budget so would like to know about state health care and private health insurance, an idea of the cost of utilities, what things to watch out for, buying a car and costs related…

I'd really love any tips, good and bad!

Thanks🙂

@gratsos

Hello and welcome on board !

Till members provide some feedback, I would suggest that you have a look at the following article : Healthcare in Greece

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna

thank you Bhavna!

@gratsos A bit late in replying, as I just joined the forum, but just in case you haven't found the information you want.  Public healthcare in Greece can be daunting...some have wonderful experiences, others not so much. Foreigners will be treated for free in public hospitals in case of emergency, and some may even be hospitalized and pay nothing....depends on the doctor and reason for hospitalization. Cost in such case, is definitely minimal.

The "hard" part of the Greek public healthcare system, is that as doctors are underpaid and overworked, a vast majority of them opt to move to private hospitals, further "damaging" the already crumbling system.

A simple visit can take up to a couple of months to book, and any tests prescribed - if you have not paid into the healthcare system - will have to be paid 100% out of pocket.

That being said, such costs are way cheaper than what they are abroad.

Private health insurance, on the other hand, will definitely offer a better piece of mind, as it is a service one pays for! Depending on company there is a plethora of benefits one can enjoy. Depending on age, if one opts for a single or double room, if there is a deductible or not, health status etc., annual premium can vary from €600-€2000 annually. It is an additional expense to one's monthly budget, but the "security" it offers, can be well worth it!

Try www.numbeo.com for costs.