Menu
Expat.com

Want to move Athens - Is 815euro enough to live there?

Last activity 10 August 2017 by petixka

turuncu

Hi everyone,
I live in Istanbul and about to move Athens but before I want to know some information about it.  Can someone say me that 815 Euros (net)  is enough to live in there without any help?

Many thanks,

milospi

Hello. The amount is fair enough but you must be careful with housing.That means rent, electricity and heating bills. Depending on the area of the city you choose and the apartment, rents can be from 250-500 for a two room apartment.Electricity is another bill.The power is not so high priced but all the taxes they put in the bill can make it around 50-90 euros but that is due every 2 months. Transportation is great you can go everywhere in the city with 1.20 or 30 euros for the monthly transportation ticket. Food in restaurants is not really cheap so do not think about eating out every day, you will be cooking on that budget! smile.png  Overall I think it would be possible considering that many locals live with lower budgets than that!

turuncu

Hello milospi,

Thank you for your reply. 2 room apartment is too many, Im thinking to rent an apartment 1 bedroom ör sharing room most probably in city center and try to keep each spending in low. Yes Im a good cook smile.png hence want to prepare my own meal also could be go out stuffs sometimes. smile.png
So what do you think by this conditions?

duncanduncan

[Moderated : Please do not slide  offtopic.gif ]

fabiooo

Hi,

I think that would be just fair.
The area you are going to live in would be the main concern to you. I don't advise you to share; Studio or one bedroom apart will be fine.
You need to consider alternatives for heating since with that budget u should forget to use heating oil, it is so expensive here!
(something funny: I paid 1500 euro/ 2 months just for heating oil last year when I first came!!).
As stated above, I agree you shouldn't eat out. Let that be rare till you get used with Athens.

Cheers,

mamun howlader

congratulation,how long you want ti stay in greece.only Athens city is very cheep.the greek island is very expanciv.after all one and half month you can stay in athens

fokenli

Hello Turuncu;
I have same question. I get an offer I guess same company smile.png
I am thinking of enough or not. Did you move to Athens ? Do you have any advice for me ? smile.png
Thank you.

stevechadwickinathens

hi there.. am living and working in athens... is that to include your accommodation cost... if so i think that is not enough!

Cynic
stevechadwickinathens wrote:

hi there.. am living and working in athens... is that to include your accommodation cost... if so i think that is not enough!

Hi Steve,

The OP was some years ago, so you may not get a response. smile.png

petixka

it s fine with what  you are sayin. depends on life style well but u might even safe few EUR ..

Articles to help you in your expat project in Athens

• Setting up a business in Greece
    Setting up a business in Greece

Starting your own company or being self-employed in Greece is not easy for non-locals, let alone for non-EU ...

• Getting married in Greece
    Getting married in Greece

Dreaming of getting married in Greece? Whether you're a foreigner or a Greek citizen, tying the knot in this ...

• Residence permits in Greece
    Residence permits in Greece

Obtaining a residency permit is crucial if you want to remain in Greece as an expat, allowing you to access many ...

• How to drive in Greece
    How to drive in Greece

Driving in Greece is not for the faint of heart. Apart from the logistics of converting your driving license or ...

• Work visas for Greece
    Work visas for Greece

Greece is a popular destination for foreigners looking to work and live in the EU, but navigating the visa and ...

• Banking in Greece
    Banking in Greece

It is possible to open a bank account as an expatriate in Greece, but a residence permit is needed. Having a Greek ...

• Leisure activities in Greece
    Leisure activities in Greece

Greece has a rich culture and gastronomy scene, along with drinking, as well as plenty of things to see and learn, ...

• Accommodation in Greece
    Accommodation in Greece

If everything you've heard about Greece and its financial situation has you slightly disheartened, worry not: ...

All of Athens's guide articles