Passing a driver license in Thailand - what's the process?

Hi there, I am finding it difficult to understand the process of taking a few lessons then passing my driving license in Thailand, specially (but not necessarily) Bangkok .

It's my understanding that it's pretty straightforward here, but who should I reach out to and how can I find someone to help me translate during the test?

Thank you!

Don't waste your time on this. Just go to any private test center and pay the 5k baht. Go thru process... I think it's something like 2 theory lessons and 1 practical. You will be fine as long you don't kill anyone during the practical test.

And don't worry about the theory test as they have their ways to help you. You will understand it when you are in the process.

If you already have your license in your home country then that's entirely another topic (just conversion).

Just don't go to thru the gov transportation dept for your license.

Austnchng is giving you an option but it would be safer to others if u actually take some driving lessons.

Me and many others I think, find the way DL are handing out for rree with a box of  fish oil a bit terrifying.

But ultimately it is your life and your choice

Do no join the Thai majority here

Hey just to be clear everyone, I already know how to drive and I've been driving for over 20 years. The reason I don't have a license is an administrative error with the United States because I travel constantly and the covid prevented me from renewing my license. Plus, I don't feel like flying to California

I'm curious though, are you saying that it's possible to come in under any given Visa and pass our license like this? By going to a private test center? Could you maybe please recommend some private ones so that I can check them out and contact them?

Thank you

@Sonia_says_yes

Google driving schools Bangkok and you will have them all and they speak English

My son just passed for his license here as well. I f you want I can ask him which school he went to

If you can drive there should be no issue

-The driving test is circling around the temple three times

-The theoretical should be no issues, signs are the same everywhere apart for the caution signs for elephants etc1f600.svg

Maybe the US embassy can certify your expired license, than you can go to any land and transport office to pick up your license

But if you are willing to spend 5-10.000 thb then the driving school is the easy option as they give full service

Thank you. I will contact them and see if they request a certificate of residence.

@Sonia_says_yes

They do, I remember from the procedure of my son

@Sonia_says_yes They do indeed, and now I'm getting conflicting info again :(

Do you know how to easily get one? I'm not finding it easy, as it seems the procedure depends on the location (I'm in BKK)

Hey just to be clear everyone, I already know how to drive and I've been driving for over 20 years. The reason I don't have a license is an administrative error with the United States because I travel constantly and the covid prevented me from renewing my license. Plus, I don't feel like flying to California
I'm curious though, are you saying that it's possible to come in under any given Visa and pass our license like this? By going to a private test center? Could you maybe please recommend some private ones so that I can check them out and contact them?

Thank you

-@Sonia_says_yes

having your original licence would make it very easy to use an agent like GML in Bangkok that assists you and transform it into a Thai licence in 3 hours at DLT Center, without any written or driving exam. Just watching the video and making some practical tests for sight and color reaction. Need only a certificate of good health by any doctor, that you can get for few houndred baht.

@Maxi Mari

This is the same procedure if you do it yourself which I did 20 some years ago... exactly the same

For free

@Sonia_says_yes

Procedures don change, people change them to make money out of other people

I wil ask my son which school he used....

@Sonia_says_yes

This is the driving school my son used, he does not speak Thai, works here as an expat, so it should be easy for you as well

https://thanadriving.com/

@Sonia_says_yes They do indeed, and now I'm getting conflicting info again sad.png
Do you know how to easily get one? I'm not finding it easy, as it seems the procedure depends on the location (I'm in BKK)

-@Sonia_says_yes

The certificate of residency can be given either by the immigration Div.1 in Chaeng Wattana by going there and costs 400 baht and will be sent to your official address within one month if you have a stable stay permit visa, or can be issued by your Embassy.

@Maxi Mari
This is the same procedure if you do it yourself which I did 20 some years ago... exactly the same
For free

-@martinoo2002

Ok try to make it yourself the first time, (I am not talking about extension but about the first time for the 3 years licence) and see how difficult it becomes actually. Cause you need first to translate Basic driving licence and international driving licence through your Embassy paying a lot of money, while by some agents (not all) you get the Thai licence without this translation. Just copy of:

1) your 2 licences,

2) certificate of residency by Immigration or Embassy

3) certificate of good health by a doctor

Then go with the GML Staff to DLT and they will end your procedure within 2 hours.

Hope you understand the difference for Thai rules between first time 3 years licence and renewal extention for next 5 years licence.

@Sonia_says_yes
Procedures don change, people change them to make money out of other people
I wil ask my son which school he used....

-@martinoo2002

Thai Governament and each Ministry have changed often procedures for foreigners in last 10 years on many sides. It's not announced on Tv like it's done in western countries but directly in each site and in the intentions of the Managers in each province that decide to reinforce or to soften some rules. That's why so many differences in each Province that never match one each other and the confusion that they cause when we apply for something.

@Maxi Mari

Again the os how.i did.i the first time. I went alone, did not speak Thai had everything prepared but not the medical document.  Around the corner was a clinic, done.

Did the break and eye test and sat in the vdo room. After a few hours I had the licenses.

Easy peasy

@Sonia_says_yesProcedures don change, people change them to make money out of other peopleI wil ask my son which school he used....        -@martinoo2002

Thai Governament and each Ministry have changed often procedures for foreigners in last 10 years on many sides. It's not announced on Tv like it's done in western countries but directly in each site and in the intentions of the Managers in each province that decide to reinforce or to soften some rules. That's why so many differences in each Province that never match one each other and the confusion that they cause when we apply for something.

-@Maxi Mari

Not for driver licenses. Same everywhere, same at all DTL

Stories from 3rd parties make things different, which they aren't...

20 some years ago the procedure is the same as now. Compared myself to son....and I was at three different offices, different provinces

@Maxi Mari
Again the os how.i did.i the first time. I went alone, did not speak Thai had everything prepared but not the medical document.  Around the corner was a clinic, done.
Did the break and eye test and sat in the vdo room. After a few hours I had the licenses.
Easy peasy

-@martinoo2002

Ok, you are Top Professional Master, if you Could get from your Embassy at cheap price the full translation of the basic Licence and the International licence with all details and note translated in easy and cheap cost that's ok for me and for everyone else.

But my country Embassy does not do translations of this kind saying that an international driving licence is already international with pages in different languages,that's why called international. But at DTL in Bangkok by myself they asked anyway to translate, as well many agents did ask the Same and also to certify that the basic Licence is real and true document made in home country and not a fake copy.

Which would involve a huge expense of money of about 500 €euros = 20,000 baht.

Each country Embassy has own rules and prices, and maybe my licences need those documentation.

So the last and efficient chance was to use the only in Bkk that is GML which made every step without any of that documents translated because they gave own garanty to DLT.

And considering that I was almost 3 year in Thailand due to Pandemic virus border block and my licences going to expire after 3 month without possibility to fly back to Europe and extend them, the best way was to do it quickly efficiently and with good result using  an agent, and a flight back would have cost me 1000 €uros+++other travel expences cause my Embassy extends driving licences only if the citizen has inscribed his residency moving it from there to the special Embassy analgesic inscription, that was not my case cause for other reasons I have to be in my original residential registration at home country municipality, probably you don't have this rules in yours.

In any case I am suggesting one good tested way to do it, and if the person is enough intelligent with enough neurons in his brain then can decide which choice is fitting better his or her case by having more real reliable true tested options and this can be obtained by a wide knowledge of possibilities and not just by one way strickt rule like you want to impose. Knowing that Thailand is the land of the many ways to solve such burocratic matters.

And my message was not to you and competing with you but the lady that first asked about.

Good bye and go care for your business and do not read mine if you don't like.

My EU embassy charges 26 euro for legalization of my DL.

I asked 2 copies for motorbike and car, same price.

International DL is overkill, not needed and not a decisive factor in obtaining your Thai DL through conversion  from foreign DL.

Anyway the OP seems to not have a DL so she needs a driving school with I referred to her

@Sonia_says_yes - I did everything myself without giving bribes. It was simply faster to pass local DL test in Pattaya instead of going to verify in Australian embassy why our state authorities just mail change of address sticker. Same side of the road driving, but none of "students" were actually asked to drive outside of testing compound. Ridicules, but with just reverse parking and driving out of parked spot people were getting a car licences.

@Sonia_says_yes - Same side of the road driving, but none of "students" were actually asked to drive outside of testing compound. Ridicules, but with just reverse parking and driving out of parked spot people were getting a car licences.

-@Vlad Doguilev

Hence all the clowns on the road and the quantity of accidents...

I see they can do a test now, that's good,.20 years ago the DL was free with a box of fishoil