Tipping in Turkey

We live in Turkey for almost three years. Most of the payments (supermarkets, wool-shops, clothing shops (for my wife), Aidat, taxes, electricity, water, Cigarettes, Alcohol...) are paid through bank (or card).

However there are a few exceptions, restaurants, hairdressers, markets, especially like cash payments (and I do understand). Typically (restaurant and hairdresser) we give 10% tip and if really good 15 or even 20%

What is your experience?

we don't tip - my Turkish husband says its not a Turkish custom so he won't.

Its not obligatory.lf you like the service and if the service is not included on the bill,you can give the tip.It depends to the amount.But between 5-15 % is ok.If the amount is low,I give 10-15%,if its high 5-7%.

I prefer not to tip unless I have a regular relationship with the service provider, like my hairdresser or barber, which is rare. Occasionally, I may tip on holidays, but it's not a regular practice for me. I believe tipping should not be expected in general. I'm also aware that some businesses prefer cash because it allows them to avoid proper tax filing. Opting for cash-only transactions is indicative of potential tax evasion. In Turkey, the cost of accepting debit or credit cards is very low and can even be as low as 0%. I would like to point out that most businesses do accept cards. Tipping is not part of Turkish culture; they prefer good service over tips. Turkey and Japan share similar cultural customs that tipping is frowned upon.