Meet-Up in Fortaleza, CE July 17 - 25, 2024

06/10/24  Our March Meet-Up in João Pessoa was a lot of fun, so we'd like to do it again, this time in lovely Fortaleza, Ceará.

My husband will be sitting a concurso on July 19, and both of us want to check the city out as a possible place to live.  I'm not aware of as many Expat.com members in Greater Fortaleza as I was in Jampa, but if you're there, we'd like to get together.  Nothing structured, very informal, but if you're an expat living in the area and would like to come hang out with us some day for lunch, dinner, or sightseeing while we're there, we'd enjoy meeting you.  Spouses/significant others welcome, Portuguese and English spoken.  Recommendations on good places to meet also welcome.  Let me know how to contact you with details as they come together. 

We had a WhatApp group for Jampa that worked very well, maybe we'll do the same for Fortaleza if there's enough interest.

*EDIT*  06/29/24  The concurso is on Sunday July 21, so we'll be arriving on Friday, July 19 and staying through July 25.

@abthree, thank you for the invite.  Fortaleza is definitely a city that I want to visit. I will have to take a raincheck this time as I will be in a middle of a few work and personal things this July - so much so that I will not take any holidays this summer (in the Northern Hemisphere).

However, planning to spend Natal and Reveilion in the Recife area - if everything lines up.  Although I have been to Brazil twice already in February and April, I only wish that I have enough holidays this year to be there again.

Keep us posted on how things go.

06/11/24 @abthree, Keep us posted on how things go.

-@Pablo888

Will do!  We've always traveled a lot around Brazil, but it's usually been to visit people.  This job search is bringing us to a lot of places where can set our own schedule (aside from test dates!) and get together with new people and friends we know from Expat and Quora, and we're taking advantage of it.  Our focus is on the Northeast, the North, Minas Gerais, Espírito Santo, and the Federal District (where many of the most likely jobs are), so it's covering a lot of ground.

Next up will probably be Sergipe later in the year, not too far from Pernambuco.  The edital hasn't dropped yet so we don't know the exact date.  It's one of our favorite states and the first state where I lived in Brazil many years ago, as you can still hear in my Portuguese sometimes. 😃

@abthree .

..sitting a concurso on July 19,

Not sure what this is.

I think it is a great idea, but since I have no idea whatsoever if I will even still be in Brazil at that time or Deported, I will take a Hard Pass. But enjoy.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

06/11/24..sitting a concurso on July 19,
Not sure what this is.

I think it is a great idea, but since I have no idea whatsoever if I will even still be in Brazil at that time or Deported, I will take a Hard Pass. But enjoy.
Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

It's a kind of a civil service exam, in this case a high level one. 🤞🏻

I'm confident that you're NOT going to be deported.  I know that it's a long haul for you and that you've spent more time in Fortaleza during the last few months so I wouldn't expect you, but if you and your wife happen to be in town, it will be great to see you.

I'm sure that we'll enjoy it:  this will be our second trip to Fortaleza, and we like the city's vibe.  We're looking forward to getting to know it better.

@abthree Well then...I will be there...If only to be your Bodyguard. My mobility is coming back, and my opinion of Fortaleza is just the opposite. I do remember when my father was 99, he had completely run out of his friends, so this is a once in whatever opportunity. (My keeping me alive wife and I found out that I did not have Heart Problems, but it was water in the lungs and then after a blood test etc. Found out I have ASTMA, but I am cleared to travel...or a t least take the bus)

Summer, my daughter, will come down after she goes to Las Vegas for a weekend conference as the second in command for the start-up she works for. Normally PaPa would be jealous but in my day I went to the Windows on the World at the World Trade Center for The Wall Street Journal.

She got her Brazilian Passport renewed and I believe we are scheduled for the 20 something this month.

I was going to suggest the Ponte dos Ingleses (Ingleses Bridge) aka The Red Bridge in Fortaleza, however it may not be the same as when my wife and I had dinner their20 years ago.  The most comfortable places I would say are in the major malls for dinner etc.

@abthree,

Hmmm! We like visiting Fortaleza! Aproveitam!!!!

mberigan

06/11/24    @abthree Well then...I will be there...If only to be your Bodyguard. My mobility is coming back, and my opinion of Fortaleza is just the opposite. I do remember when my father was 99, he had completely run out of his friends, so this is a once in whatever opportunity. (My keeping me alive wife and I found out that I did not have Heart Problems, but it was water in the lungs and then after a blood test etc. Found out I have ASTMA, but I am cleared to travel...or a t least take the bus)
Summer, my daughter, will come down after she goes to Las Vegas for a weekend conference as the second in command for the start-up she works for. Normally PaPa would be jealous but in my day I went to the Windows on the World at the World Trade Center for The Wall Street Journal.

She got her Brazilian Passport renewed and I believe we are scheduled for the 20 something this month.

I was going to suggest the Ponte dos Ingleses (Ingleses Bridge) aka The Red Bridge in Fortaleza, however it may not be the same as when my wife and I had dinner their20 years ago.  The most comfortable places I would say are in the major malls for dinner etc.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

That seems to be the trendy diagnosis right now:  after my heatstroke in João Pessoa, I was diagnosed with asthma, too for the first time in my life, after they finally decided that it wasn't pneumonia.

Good news that your daughter has her passport and that you can look forward to a hopefully happy conclusion to the drama this month.   We'll check out Ponte dos Ingleses. 

@abthree Always a father...so my daughter had me book the trip from MD. to Fortaleza, but it was super expensive since she needed businessman hours. (leave after work on Friday and return the next Monday evening). She said she could do better and seemingly found some independent routes for what I thought was under $1k., It was hard to re-trace her steps to pay for it, so my wife advised me to just give her the money and she would book it herself. She then said the trip was going to be $1,487. (Ouch). I sent her the money reluctantly (did not want to pay that much).  Later she sent me a copy of the itinerary and I knew something was up when the new trip included PANAMA!

As far as the health issue. I had Sleep Apnea way back when I was in radio, 20+ years ago, but stopped when the machine broke in Brazil. My quick research led me to believe that everything stemmed from the fact that I was not treating my Sleep Apnea anymore.

06/17/24 @roddiesho.  A lot of people traveling from the US to Northern and Northeastern Brazil seem to make that change in Panamá to save some money with Copa.  I've always avoided it myself, but I've never heard of anyone having trouble with it, either.  I hope that it works out for her.  Sounds like you're going to be on a very tight schedule -- best of luck!

@abthree Thanx, Summer had to do a presentation in North Carolina and had a Conference with the Pharmaceutical start-up in Las Vegas this week, so she is in and out for the Federal Police. She is not even going to be able to visit the family home.  Thanx, hopefully this is the end.

06/29/24  It's official.  We've finalized our dates and have our lodgings.  We'll arrive in Fortaleza on July 19 (the concurso is on July 21), and we'll be staying until July 25.  We're looking forward to getting to know any expats in the Greater Fortaleza area or nearby areas who want to get together.  🥳🥳

@abthree I became official June 24th. I am unsure when the ID's (sorry I don't know the name) will be ready. I heard three weeks. If so my wife and I will be back in Fortaleza and will be at the Meet, otherwise we need to wait until the "card" is ready.

@abthree Ok, Carminha aka "The Boss" says we will be there the 23rd. and the 24th. to pick-up my Permanent Brazilian Residency ID. (and then go home after that).

Roddie in Retirment1f575.svg

07/09/24 Ok, Carminha aka "The Boss" says we will be there the 23rd. and the 24th. to pick-up my Permanent Brazilian Residency ID. (and then go home after that).
Roddie in Retirment1f575.svg-@roddiesho

We'll be there and have checked out a bunch of restaurants, so we'll be ready to compare notes and  celebrate with you!  🥳  I'll DM you my WhatApp so that we can coordinate.  Looking forward to seeing you an, of course, The Boss!

@abthree So! So! Sorry. Hope You Are having a goodtime. Unfortunately, my wife just found out today that my CRNM would not be ready for us yet. That means we would have to make two trips to Fortaleza, which is a 6-hour journey one way if we went to the meet-up. In addition, at my doctor's appointment today, it was decided I would have surgery in Sobral in the next few weeks for my lungs. The estimated cost is R$10,000.   

I am going to stay here at home and save my resources for now.  Say hi to the Expat.Com group for me.

07/19/24 @roddiesho.  So sorry to miss you, even sorrier for the delay in your CRNM, and sorriest of all to hear about your illness.  Best of luck, you'll be in my prayers.

We got caught by the worldwide internet problems today.  Walking into the Eduardo Gomes Airport in Manaus and seeing the blue screen of death on every one of LATAM's self-check-in kiosks as we walked by them was surreal and eerie.  But since we had a direct flight with no connections to miss it didn't affect us nearly as much as it did a lot of people; LATAM even gave us a free breakfast for our trouble.  We finally got to Fortaleza about two and a half hours late, checked into our AirB&B and found that it's in a super-convenient neighborhood, and we able to find a supermarket, a pretty good restaurant, and church with a good Saturday night Mass schedule all within a few blocks, which satisfied our immediate needs. 

Tomorrow we'll go exploring.  Either there aren't as many expats in Fortaleza as there are in the Jampa area, or they keep a lower profile, but we haven't heard from anyone else.  Fortunately, we're very adept at keeping ourselves entertained, and there IS that test all day Sunday, which is the real reason for our trip! 😉

@abthree So the test sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity and there are a few remnants of the worldwide internet problem today, so studying for the test seems like a good step 1.  In the pre-mobile phone era, I used to always bring a paperback with me...still sounds like a good idea.

I have decided to hold off slightly until I get my CRNM before I go to the hospital. Carminha and the Doctor do not seem to be worried about it, so that is slightly encouraging and since I survived a Colonoscopy Tumor Removal, hopefully this will be Ok.

This is a quick list of English-Speaking Schools in the Area. I am sure they would be thrilled with a stopover from you.

English speaking schools

Minds English School

Facebook (69) · Language school

Rua Frei Mansueto 1289, Fortaleza, CE, 60175-070

Open · Closes 5 PM

(85) 3392-7850

Cultura Inglesa

Language school

Rua Pereira Valente 1203, Fortaleza, CE, 60160-250

(85) 3033-8700

Cme English School

Language school

Rua Onze 141 (Parque Dois Irmãos), Fortaleza, CE, 60743-310

Open · Closes noon

(85) 3493-2562

Top English Fortaleza

Language school

Av. Mister Hull 3534 (Pres. Kennedy), Fortaleza, CE

Instituto Brasileiro de Linguas - Fortaleza

Language school

Av. Dr. Silas Munguba 4521 (Serrinha), Fortaleza, CE, 60741-005

Open · Closes noon

(85) 3055-0117

CNA

Language school

Rua Dom Sebastião Leme 1065, Fortaleza, CE, 60050-160

Closed · Opens Mon 8 AM

Good Luck!

07/20/24 @roddiesho.  I'm glad to hear that it's not a red-light emergency.  Sounds like you'll have time for a second opinion if you want one.  You know the old saying, "Measure twice, cut once."  Although it applies to sewing, it could well apply to surgery too.

Much appreciated, but I'm well past my test-taking days, thank God!  My Better Half is the one taking the test, a "concurso" for a government oversight position in the Ceará state government; I'm just here for moral support and to enjoy the beach.  It's a very competitive and much sought-after opportunity, but not exactly once-in-a-lifetime:  he's already done well enough in Espírito Santo and Paraíba to perhaps be called sometime in the future,  has one coming up for the Federal Government next month, and probably one in Sergipe later in the year.  Meanwhile, he can practice law. 

I don't see teaching English in either of our futures, but thanks for the list:  that kind of information is golden on this site, and I'll bookmark it.

@abthree You go "Moral Support" Actually, the list was not for teaching English, so much as finding people who speak English in Fortaleza.

the test, a "concurso" for a government oversight position in the Ceará state government;

-@abthree

@abthree, there is a free youtube brazilian comedy entitled "concurso público" that describes how competitive this phenomenon is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXeRG7S … mp;index=8

Well worth watching...  And funny....KKKKK

07/21/24 @abthree, there is a free youtube brazilian comedy entitled "concurso público" that describes how competitive this phenomenon is:
Well worth watching...  And funny....KKKKK   

-@Pablo888

Thanks -- we'll definitely watch!

@Pablo888 Thanx, it is my kind of slapstick humor. It took a while to get through that very long introduction, but it looked like my kind of funny. I will definitely watch it. I only have two things on my bucket list, but if I find out I have the time and money for more I would like to write a six-part comedy for Brazil Netflix

Look for a film called "A Dog's Will", also called "O Auto de Compadecida". Set in the NE of Brazil, and very funny!

@abthree Just noticed that your concurso date had passed. How did it go?

07/31/24 @rodiesho.  It went very well.  We're hopeful.  Thanks for asking. 

Have you put the PF in the rearview yet?

@abthree Almost! According to an estimate on EXPAT.COM my CRNM physical ID should be ready in September.

That being said I think the yearlong Immigration journey, especially the last six months has created such a level of anxiety that it lowered my physical defenses. I am now battling SHINGLES even though I was vaccinated in 2021 with a double dose.

08/03/24 @roddiesho.  Sorry to hear that!  I've had Shingles twice, and it's no fun.  The only good thing is that there's no Winter where you are:  Shingles in Winter are the worst, at least for me.