Water cost per cubic metre?

Hi, could people give me an idea of what you pay for municipal water supply per cubic metre? I just had the first meter reading since buying the house and am wondering what size bill to expect. The cost on the local VIK website is not  totally clear.

I don't want to pester my helpful neighbour with yet more questions, so I'll pester the forum instead!

@janemulberry

Hi. Sorry I can't answer your question,  but I eagerly await someone who can.

Different municipalities have different prices. Ask your local VIK.

I know each VIK sets their own prices. I would like to know what people are paying their VIK per cube, so I can have some idea of what to expect.

Most recent water bill I have is 2.86 lv (+ 20% VAT) per m3

That's very good value.  So basically 1 IBC worth of water for under £2.00.

Will help with calculations for pool filling. 

Many thanks.

Thanks so much, Gwyn. Exactly what I wanted to know. My region is more expensive, nearer 5 leva per cubic metre. Still , my water bill certainly won't break the bank.

The meter reader seemed rather shocked at how much had been used. For two years, frequent stays, and the amount of building and plumbing work that's been done, it didn't seem too much water.  But I wanted to check I wasn't about to get whacked with a monster bill.

Make sure to get your meter read regularly!  We;re currently going through a "situation" re one of our properties where the meter hasn't been read for literally 20 years.  It's a one-bedroom apartment, occupied until recently by one person - he hadn't showered in 20 years, the boiler was empty, he used one plate, a knife and fork and one glass, the washing machine hadn't been used even once in that time, and even the toilet cistern was disconnected......1f922.svg

The water company want 7,500 leva in "outstanding bills", which is frankly impossible: our annual water bill is 250 leva, in a BIG house (with the meter read every month), running a washing machine several times a day, one dishwasher literally every day and another twice-weekly, three bathrooms and a large garden watered weekly.  Unfortunately, here is not like many other countries, so the water company "estimates" are accepted by the courts, even when they're ridiculous, and a meter more than a few years old is regarded as no longer accurate, so an actual meter reading isn't acceptable (and don't forget that the water meter has a water company seal on it, is installed by the water company but legally belongs to the consumer, so it's YOUR fault if it's old/broken!)  Unfortunately, we have a choice of paying the bill, or starting a court case and still paying the bill plus both sides' legal costs and court fees.  I've negotiated a reduction, which is still way above the real amount outstanding, but Тук е България...1f910.svg

@JimJ

Ouch! What a nightmare that guy has caused for you and your wife. A tragedy for everyone, and you're left to deal with the mess. 1f625.svg

Now the VIK know the house is occupied, I expect the meter reader will come regularly when she does her rounds. I think they need someone from the property present. But if hubby or I am not here, I'm sure my neighbour will make sure if theirs is read, ours is too.

If I don't get a bill at least yearly, I will chase it up.

@janemulberry

I guess it depends where your meter is 1f642.svg Our Sofia house one is at street level beside our garages, in a little "room" which also houses the connections for our "Plan B" water (in case the usual pipe run up to the house freezes during the winter).  We leave it unlocked and the meter lad/lass just does the necessary and shuts the door behind them - we never see them.

It might have just been because it was the meter reader's first time visiting this property, but she seemed to want me there. Probably to remove the mess of covers. Ours is down a deep hole in the ground in the front garden. A very deep hole. The cover I've improvised is way better than what was here before but still ugly and inadequate.

The top row of bricks are now almost completely crumbled, I will need to rebuild it and make a better cover.  I really hope my house isn't built of those same bricks. I've never seen such severe spalling! I suspect they're a later addition to the meter surround, as the lower part is older bricks in much better condition.

I was impressed with her device to see the meter numbers - a large magnifying glass attached to what appeared to be part of a long solid fishing rod! When I first turned the water on, I had to stretch full length dangling into the hole from mid-thigh and still struggled to reach the tap. I couldn't imagine a meter reader doing that.  And they don't . I quickly bought a mains tap wrench on a 4' handle. Even with that I need to reach right down into the hole, but it eliminates the perilous dangling part.

crikey i think we are expensive. mine was 4meters cubed. i paid over 15lev!

@Suzi Masterson

The average domestic water bill in BG is c25% of the cost in the UK, and 8%(!) of the cost in Norway....

@Suzi Masterson
The average domestic water bill in BG is c25% of the cost in the UK, and 8%(!) of the cost in Norway....

-@JimJ

for us its way way less. we averaged £28/month without growing anything. we are now growing a small area. have a small pool and the usual minus a washing machine

@Suzi Masterson

"Minus a washing machine"?  That's a very traditional Bulgarian approach....1f60e.svg

"..край Вардаро седиш,

мори, бело платно белиш,

бело платно белиш душо,

все нагоре гледаш."