Menu
Expat.com

As a retiree, how do I apply for an extended Visa to live in Barcelona

Last activity 19 June 2024 by gwynj

aryooper

How do I get an extended visa if I wanted to live in Barcelona for about six months?

compel

@aryooper Are you in Spain already and have NIE? if not apply to the Spanish consulate in your country, I think the visit can be for 90 days without visa, or for a year its about 640£

Kimberley24

@aryooper  It depends on your nationality.  For example, if you're British, you have to apply for an appropriate visa at a Spanish Consulate in the UK (London, Manchester or Edinburgh).  In the meantime, you can't exceed Schengen requirements, i.e. visits of a 90 days maximum in a rolling 180 days in all Schengen Travel Area countries. 

Here's a link to details of the visa types available on the Spanish Government website:

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas … neral.aspx

gwynj

@aryooper

Americans can visit Spain visa-free for up 90 days in 180 days. And, you can easily spend 6 months in Spain if you spend 9 months in Europe, and break it up with 3 months Spain/3 months elsewhere/3 months Spain again. Elsewhere must be a non-Schengen EU country (Ireland, Cyprus only, I think) or a nearby non-EU country (Serbia, Turkey, UK, Montenegro, Albania, etc.).

The long-term visa application process is a bit of a time-consuming aggravation which is necessary if you want to retire to Spain, or live there indefinitely... but probably not worth the effort for a short stay of only 6 months.

If you do decide to retire there, the most popular option is the NLV, No Lucrativa Visa, and there's plenty of info online about how to get one.

There are some slightly easier student visa options that might be worth considering if, say, you wanted to study Spanish for 6 months.

My advice is that 6 months is a bad number! :-) Stay much longer (so it's worth applying for a residence visa), or stay less so you can use your visa-free allowance (easy-peasy). Or stay slightly longer while using the Spain/not-Spain/Spain trick to stay inside your Schengen Zone visa-free allowance.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Visas for Spain
    Visas for Spain

Spain is one of the most visited countries in the world, and people travel to vacation and live there for various ...

• Work visas and permits for Spain
    Work visas and permits for Spain

From its culture and cuisines, history and climate, Spain is a dream destination for expats. If you plan ...

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

All of Spain's guide articles