Menu
Expat.com

Please help received job offer

Last activity 11 July 2024 by khaleel4

AdiraSan

I receive a job offer from an international school with a true good-to-be-true offer. There was no interview and yet they offered me a job(is this normal). And then,  it was mentioned that I have to go to a different agency to pay for the FOreigner Worker's Permit and this will be reimbursed once I set foot in Istanbul. By the way, the salary offered is USD 3,500 plus other allowances including car maintenance. The school though has a website along with its working number but most of it is not working.  I have a hunch that this is a scam but  still, I appreciate  all your insights,

cdw057

Scam!

Gino_C

Either you are so exceptional and reputable that an interview can be bypassed for a high paying job or it is a scam.

d4zt7bsj

I would say there is too little information to determine if it's a scam. Without further details, exercise caution. There are people working in international schools earning similar amounts in Turkey based on their position, and it’s possible for a legitimate employer to provide a car.

However, be wary if the company charges a significant fee for the work permit process, as it is generally free until approved, aside from the work permit sticker visa fee ($100) at the embassy, which should be processed in your home country through an approved Turkish agency or the Turkish embassy.

The only additional fees will be if the Turkish embassy has a designated agency, which may charge upfront fees of a few hundred USD max. This is common, but $3,500 is grossly high.

If you have a Turkish embassy, you can check if they process work permits directly or have a designated agency. Start by validating the process at https://www.konsolosluk.gov.tr/. If they have an agency, they will inform you which one to use, and that will be the only authorized agency. If not, you will only deal with the Turkish embassy. No other agency is authorized in all countries unless ISKUR is approved.

For example, the UK embassy doesn't process applications directly; their designated agency is https://voyavisauk.com. In Rotterdam, it's https://visaft.com. You can't use any other agency or even apply at the embassy directly if an agency is authorized. In Amsterdam, the local embassy processes applications, costing €60, while VisaFT charges €405. In London, the charge is £486.

As you can see, none of these places charge $3,500, which is an exorbitant amount for any employer to pay. Not even Turkish Airlines pays this much to an agency in Turkey for assistance. Use extreme caution. If you ever have a job offer from abroad, the company would send you a legal document with a barcode that you give to the embassy with a reference code to complete an application. The work permit application is free until approved. This fee is around 7,000 TL for a one-year work permit.

Hope this helps smile.png

cdw057

@d4zt7bsj I am a very simple man, I worked in many countries though and employers paid for everything (also for interviews) (flights, hotels, ..).

If you are good and people want you they they have to pay (simple as that).

I NEVER paid for flight tickets or hotels in my working career (prospective employers did)

I worked in Netherlands, Luxembourg, Netherlands again, UK, Luxembourg again, Hungary and now in semi-retirement in Turkey (I am a bit older)

khaleel4

Scam,, run

Articles to help you in your expat project in Türkiye

• Starting a business in Türkiye
    Starting a business in Türkiye

If you are thinking about starting a business in Türkiye, there are several things you will need to look ...

• Working in Türkiye as a digital nomad
    Working in Türkiye as a digital nomad

A mix of Middle Eastern mysticism and European tradition, Türkiye is a well-established tourist hotspot. ...

• Working in Türkiye
    Working in Türkiye

Türkiye's unique geographical position not only makes it a crucial hub for international trade but also ...

• Working in Izmir
    Working in Izmir

Izmir is the third largest city in Türkiye. It shows buoyant activity in industry, agriculture, and services ...

• Working in Istanbul
    Working in Istanbul

Just like most big cities, Istanbul has a variety of job opportunities in industries ranging from electronics to ...

• Working in Ankara
    Working in Ankara

Ankara is Türkiye's political capital and second-largest city after Istanbul. Modern infrastructure and ...

• The work culture in Istanbul
    The work culture in Istanbul

Istanbul has always been Türkiye's economic heart. From history to modern times, the city always carried ...

• Internships in Türkiye
    Internships in Türkiye

An internship in Türkiye can prove to be a prized addition to your CV, demonstrating your open-mindedness and ...

All of Türkiye's guide articles