Hi From USA

I'm Corp from USA, I think I will travel to VN soon on my first visit.

I am considering living there for a while if it works out.

In the past, I have been to a number of countries in the military and doing volunteer work through churches. 

I'm not worried but its my first time in an Asian country and I have zero language skills and learning new languages does not come easy. 

I thought I might ask questions here and seek advice as needed.

Thanks for this platform.

-@Dannyroc3

Although our forum search function leaves something to be desired, the forum archives can sometimes be a useful research tool, especially for frequently asked questions.

Welcome

O.B.

I'm Corp from USA, I think I will travel to VN soon on my first visit.

Congratulations on your upcoming visit! I've mentioned to others that it's like no other place on the planet.

I am considering living there for a while if it works out.

Not quite sure what you mean by "works out". Will you be here as a tourist/visitor? If so, and if you're comfortable with doing what's colloquially know as a "border run" at the end of each eVisa's validity, it's certainly doable.

In the past, I have been to a number of countries in the military and doing volunteer work through churches. 
I'm not worried but its my first time in an Asian country and I have zero language skills and learning new languages does not come easy.

The language barrier can certainly be an issue, especially so in Vietnam's rural and even in the lower tier cities. Do you have a city picked yet as your starting point?

-@Dannyroc3

Good to have you with us. Lots of friendly folk on the forum ready to help.

Looking forward to hearing, and hopefully being able to answer, your questions.

-@Dannyroc3

Hello.

There are many ways to express what we want to say. By language, body language, and by...translation apps.

You can install "Google translate" app for speaking translating, and "Google lens" app for text/photo translating.

Vietnam gets 8.8 million foreign tourists in first half of 2024. All of 8.8 million tourists can speak Vietnamese?? No~ Right?!

Nowadays the popular question is "Will AI replace human translators and interpreters?". (And I work as a Korean interpreter at a small factory1f923.svg) Not "What will happen if I can't speak Vietnamese?", cause it isn't a big problem.

So just enjoy your trips in Vietnam, and Asia.

Thank you for coming to Vietnam in the future.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for your comments Aidan. "Works out" just means if I like living there, or think I might.

I will arrive at HCMC. I teach English as a hobby and one of my students suggested I visit so I thought -Why not?

I had considered doing volunteer work in an Asian country about 5 yrs ago but I could not find an opportunity and I knew the language would be difficult so I went to another location.

Yes, the constant renewal of visas seems like an inconvenience.  Especially if it should be every 30 days.  If I decide to stay or return for a long term, maybe I can get a longer-term visa through volunteering with a church or Org.  I generally like to find a purpose and not just hang out. But I am a flexible person and will roll with it I guess.

@nhi0768125

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

I have used Google Translate which does have a image reader but it was not very good so I will try Google.  lens, is that its own app?

If I decide to stay or return for a long term, maybe I can get a longer-term visa through volunteering with a church or Org.

-@Dannyroc3

That rarely if ever happens, unless you are being hired as a director of an NGO.

The organization has to pay to apply to the government for approval of your volunteer position.

What's more common is for some organizations to get approval for short-term volunteer projects (a couple of weeks, at best) with the entire project structured like an all-inclusive tour:

Airfare, short-term Visa on Arrival, lodging, meals, transportation and a restricted itinerary are usually included in the package with the volunteer footing the entire bill, which includes a certain percentage of excess funds to benefit the organization and their agent.

If airfare isn't included, it's still not uncommon for fees to be approximately $4,000 USD+ for each foreigner participant.

Believe us, the chances of volunteering for a church and receiving any sort of visa other than your 3-month E-visa are slim and none.

Again, it might be possible for the administrator of a religious organization to be approved for hire by the government and then issued a different type of visa, but I've never heard of that happening.

While there is a good amount of religious freedom experienced by the citizens of Vietnam, the government strongly discourages foreigners from being involved in anything other than a church for foreigners.

The position of the government is that foreigners being involved in Vietnamese religious organizations are likely proselytizing; a behavior that's strictly forbidden.

... Yes, the constant renewal of visas seems like an inconvenience.  Especially if it should be every 30 days....   

-@Dannyroc3

Thankfully, since Aug 15th/2023, eVisas are now valid for up to 90 days. There's no obligation to depart the country until the last day of an eVisa's validity.

@nhi0768125
Thanks for your comments and thoughts.
I have used Google Translate which does have a image reader but it was not very good so I will try Google.  lens, is that its own app?

-@Dannyroc3

Yes, it is.

How to use Google Lens to translate:

1) Launch "Google Lens" app

2) Press the round button with camera icon

3) Choose the “Translate" option

4) Select target language

5) Aim the camera at an object, text, or scene, and press the round button to translate.

It doesn't take picture of object, text, or scene, just scans and shows translated text on screen.

Ex: When you walk around, you see the board with the word "Lối Vào", you do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 step, and it will show you the translated result "Entrance", you also can use it when you read menu at food courts, etc

It's useful with short sentences (and better if without local words). Sometimes it is not correct 100%, but you can guess the meaning.

@Dannyroc3 I'm also American and I've been teaching here in Vietnam for 11 years. During the last couple of years there have been a number of upgrades or changes to the work permit requirement for teachers. If you are interested in pursuing it a little further let me know we can exchange information privately so I can fill you in on the details.

@Dannyroc3 I'm also American and I've been teaching here in Vietnam for 11 years. During the last couple of years there have been a number of upgrades or changes to the work permit requirement for teachers. If you are interested in pursuing it a little further let me know we can exchange information privately so I can fill you in on the details.
        -@Rick Hayward

Feel free to post details of your experience with ESL teacher requirements, here.

I'm sure many other expat.com members would benefit from your insights.

@Aidan in HCMC I rarely post and I'm not sure of the requirements for posting. Also, the adherence to the law depends on the quality of the school. Some schools do a lot of things under the table which put the teacher at risk. I really don't want to risk putting things on a public forum. For example, I have a friend of mine who teaches at an "International School" but they circumvent the law and pay him only half of my salary because he really doesn't have the documents to qualify legitimately.A lot of schools call themselves international just by virtue of the fact that they have some of foreign teachers on the payroll.