Digital Nomad Visa renewal

Hi guys,

I have been checking some posts about this nightmare process for the visa renewal but I have some doubts yet, in case someone can resolve them for any chance.

I'm in Campinas as a digital nomad, however the company I provided services for in a full-time basis made a break indefinitely, so right now I am only doing temporary jobs. My visa ends at the beginning of October 2024, however my CRNM expires at the beginning of January 2025 (because it delayed 5 months to be printed). So within this context I have the following questions:

1. For the renewal, I must take into account the visa expiration date or the CRNM one? I guess is the visa one, but just to confirm
  2. I'm not getting monthly payments due to the occasional jobs, so would it be enough to only provide proof of the minimum bank funds (+$18k) instead of proving the minimum monthly income of $1500? (when getting the visa for the 1st time in Spain, they asked for both, even if the visa requeriments state that can be one of both)
  3. The contract with a new company must contain anything specifically to be valid for the visa renewal? Is it valid a part-time freelance contract?
  4. Would be acceptable to use the same contract I used when I applied for the visa, even if I'm not providing the service to such company because of the break? (the company still exists though)
  5. Is necessary a health insurance for the renewal?
  6. Since I have residence in Spain and Brazil right now, should I get criminal record certificates from both countries?
  7. Is 2 months enough for finishing the whole process since the renewal request in MigranteWeb is sent? Will I be fined if the approval arrives later than the expiration date?
  8. After 2 years of digital nomad, does anyone know if we will be able to renew it every year without limit?
  9. Could someone provide some trustworthy contact for the translation of documents?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @bennyllero,

1- Once you obtained the CRNM, the visa has served its purpose and it's irrelevant. Your residency is on your CRNM.

2- Proof of minimum bank funds alone should be enough (Consulates do make it difficult sometimes but in Brazil, only what the law says applies)

5- No private health insurance needed within Brazil.

6- Only Brazilian criminal records (Unless you spent more than 6 months elsewhere I guess)

7- Normally I would say yes, but considering what people shared here as you may have already seen and the delays mentioned, three months before would be a good choice.

8- There is nothing in the law that says it's not possible. How it works in practice is still unclear, but we should be having the first experiences soon, so by the time you have to renew for another time you'd have a clear answer.

3-4- A part time contract could also work, your contract explicitly mentioning remote work would of course be useful. Your existing contract should also serve as long as it's real and valid. Of course, none of these answers are legal advice : )

@bennyllero

About your point 8/ - future renewals of the Digital Nomad Visa. My understanding of the current situation is that the visa is granted for a period of 12 months, and it may be renewed ONCE for a further period of 12 months.

The rationale may be because, by definition, nomads are supposed to be transient, and Brazil regards 2 years as sufficient time to explore the country while working remotely. It was never intended to be permanent residence by the back door, just a reaction to modern culture.

Although, as has been pointed out, this has not really been tested yet to our knowledge, it may be foolish to rely for your future planning on a visa renewal that may not be granted.

Thank you guys, it was really clarifying!

07/12/24  Although, as has been pointed out, this has not really been tested yet to our knowledge, it may be foolish to rely for your future planning on a visa renewal that may not be granted.

-@Peter Itamaraca

That's my read, too.  The VITEM XIV visa, defined only as "Immigration Policy", seems to be intended to allow the Foreign Relations, Justice, and Labor Ministries to test out different immigration modalities without having to go back to the Congress to create a new visa every time.  It currently includes both the Digital Nomad and the Retirement visas, and there's no reason to assume that the list won't grow, shrink, or change in the future.