Menu
Expat.com

Can I Retire in Iligan City with Convictions?

Last activity 30 July 2024 by Cherryann01

ShueArie

I'm going to sound like a terrible person here, but here goes.

I have convictions for drug use, did 2 x 3 months Gaol back in 2002 and 2005

Then from 2012 to 2014 I got caught unlicensed driving 4 or 5 times, did some community work on 2 and paid fines others.

Currently have a wonderful Filipina Fiancée who's unfortunately on Stage 5 Kidney Disease, Australian Immigration Laws won't allow her to come to Australia.

She owns a very nice home in Mindanao and so wants to move there. What are my chance of living their? Zero?

Thank you in advance

Shue Arie

Andy_1963

If you have an Australian passport I do not see any reason why they would restrict your entry as a tourist to the Philippines. You can stay for 30 days visa free and then you can extend for another 29 days. After this initial period you can extend your visa in a 2 months interval for up to 3 years.

You can also travel from Mindenao to Singapore and the 3 years maximum stay refreshes each time.

Be careful in Mindenao. Davao is safe but the rest is not.

All the best

Andy from Boracay

Lotus Eater

@Andy_1963

This is a very misleading statement. For most expats the streets of this island (spelt with 2 a's) are safer than their home country.

Andy_1963

Is it? My country sees the Philippines as security level 2 country. However, Mindenao is considered level 5. So my embassy cannot gurantee any assistance when someone goes there.

Lotus Eater

@Andy_1963

There are several Forum members on this site who live elsewhere on the island other than Davao.

I was in CDO last November. It would have been nice to have the occasional mugging or kidnapping if only to relieve the tedium🙄

bigpearl

Back to the OP, I wonder if drug convictions and jail time are considered crimes of moral turpitude here? I'm not sure and maybe others can answer.

To Andy, many countries bang the same drum when it comes to Mindanao,,,,,,, led by whom? There are plenty of expats that live very safely and comfortably in Mindanao, OMO but caution should prevail in the south west as well as the Sulu Sulu archipelago, bit like some places in many countries.

Cheers, Steve.

ShueArie

@Andy_1963

Hello Andy,

thank you for the reply. I been to the Philippines quite a few times, some times for a month other times for between 2 & 3 weeks stay.

What my concern is, my previous record, I want to retire there with my lady, hence my post asking what are my Chances of being allowed.

Thanks again.

ShueArie

@Lotus Eater

I agree, Mindanao is one of my favourite Islands after Mactan, Cebu.

Honestly can say throughout my travels, I've never had any problems, I've found Filipinos the most helpful and friendly

people any all the countries I've visited. All it takes is a smile, it's amazing how people respond.

ShueArie

@bigpearl

Hello Steve, appreciate your reply. I'm an Australian with a Lebanese Father and Maltese Mother. I understand Islam cause my dad was a Muslim.

I also understand Orthodox Christianity cause of mums a Christian, maybe it's because of my Mediterranean looks or understanding of Islam, honestly,

not once have I had any issues anywhere throughout the Philippines.

ShueArie

@Lotus Eater

1f605.svg1f605.svg1f605.svg Love the sense of humour.

Thanks mate.

bigpearl

@ShueArie

Welcome to the forum.

You seem to have answered your own question/s having visited here many times on a visitor visa. Retire and spend time with your good lady. Enjoy.

Come in on a visitor visa, keep extending it at your local immigration for over 6 months and then you should only need the local NBI clearance for a marriage, SRRV etc.

What part of Mindanao is your ladies house and can she easily get the required medical assistance as needed from there?

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Andy_1963

@ShueArie

Hi, I retired here in February 2017. I bought the condo the year before. I was here on a tourist visa with some visits abroad until February 2022. Then I got married and I got the 13a visa. There was just a check from the NBI for the 13a visa. No documents from Austria were required. So I think you have a good chance to retire here. Either on a tourist visa or on the 13a visa.

ShueArie

@bigpearl

She lives in Iligan City, currently has dialysis there twice a week.

Thank you for you info, it's helpful.

ShueArie

@Andy_1963

That is great Andy, hope all is going well for you .

I appreciate your information, thanks mate.

philipperv

This statement isn't true. Most of Mindanao is safe except for the Marawi area, parts of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, and Basilan and other islands south.     

Cherryann01

This statement isn't true. Most of Mindanao is safe except for the Marawi area, parts of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, and Basilan and other islands south.     

-@philipperv

I never had any problems during my 4 visits to Mindanao. Stayed in Davao and Cagayan De Oro and visited Tinago Waterfalls near Iligan City twice, lovely waterfalls and great day out bathing in the crystal clear waters by the falls. I agree with the above comment though regarding Marawi. Our taxi driver pointed to the road sign for Marawi during our journey there and said it was dangerous and not to go there.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles