Menu
Expat.com

Cost of living in Alanya

Last activity 23 July 2024 by cdw057

cdw057

OK there are many complaints recently (electricity/water), also restaurants. But for me personally (cigarettes and alcohol) not too much impact. For expats even a 400% increase in price of tap water (who cares)?, it is used to clean the side walks, to me it is good to give a cap on this price. Electricity, for me it is fine if there is a top-up for expats, but even for locals it will be hurting. As for expats, please do not complain (even if could hurt a bit)

As mentioned before frequently, USD 2 K for a couple is needed for a good life (without drinking and smoking, and restraining on restaurants)

Turkey is (not only Alanya) are becoming more expensive (the positive for expats is is more quiet), The drawback more businesses are closing (sad to see).

Big discussion in Alanya (but this is for the business people to sort out (but minimum they are sad, very sad on how things are going)

in alanya. news many articles (assuming you have google chrome)

Fedy23

Not just in Alanya, but everywhere else. In Antalya we have seen a sharp rise in restaurant bills, cost of food from the local grocery store, even down to the vegetables and fruits market. The prices are going higher and higher....This year, in Antalya the tourists are much less. My area, for example, is usually packed with tourists. This year is very quiet. I have read in many posts online, that tourists are left bitter not just by the expensive prices but many have complained about the poor behaviour of Turkish sellers. I read some really nasty things online. My husband and I have experienced some of that poor behaviour and it was very sad.

I believe up till last year, 2K USD would have been enough a month, now you need more. (depending how large is your family)

cdw057

Disgrace that Greece is cheaper than Turkey (service is far less by the way (in my experience)).  Support from government not needed (industry of hotels have to take themselves). That minimum salary is perhaps even higher then Hungary (why is this)

People should get a proper wage, but do not destroy economy.

In my view these increases are destroying real estate (salary for concierge), restaurants are suffering (only expats (if any). So many are bust. (no solution from me). What is clear Restaurants are suffering (where are the cash customers). Alanya should really invite people who can spend, not only British beer drinking Tourists

cdw057

@Fedy23 Thanks Fedy, I have made some posts on expenses (I am sure you will have noticed). I am so angry with people who can stay here (as a couple) comfortably below EUR 1 K (not possible in my view), I challenge them regularly

I like living here and compared to UK, Lux, Netherlands it is cheap (even comparing to Hungary it is on par)

Fedy23

@cdw057

Prices keep on hiking and it is becoming difficult for everyone. To be fair, I feel the life in Turkiye is more expensive  than in the UK. The cost of things may be relatively cheaper in Turkiye but the quality is not that good and then you are left buying again and again and again... we bought three shower heads and two toilet seats since we have arrived 8 months ago. We have had cabinets and wall panels falling on us because they were made of cheap quality. However they were not that cheap in price.

As for the food, especially restaurant foods, it's way too expensive and unfortunately we do hear tourists complaining about the costs of food and stay. One couple told us that last year, they stayed at a certain hotel for 10 days for 2000 UK GBP. This year they were asked for 4000 UK GBP.

I really hope things will change soon for the better.

Gino_C

In my visits to Türkiye, the last time was in February and March of this year, I have noticed costs were higher compared to previous visits in dollar terms.  However, it may be a regional issue for the more touristic destinations. 

In Kusadasi, which attracts many tourists, it's fairly common to see high end and exotic vehicles so the restaurants on the strip are relatively high, roughly $14 to $18 per person. 

In Eskisehir, where I will live when I move, the city is a college town so the residents do not live extravagantly but its lifestyle is very lively.  We ate at a modest Turkish restaurant and it cost roughly $7 per person.  And it was very good and good quality.

For comparison sakes, here in the US, Olive Garden is a standard fare Italian restaurant chain and a plate of Chicken Alfredo is $21 plus $3.70 glass of iced tea and a 8% tax + 15% tip comes to $30.70.  I would venture to guess the ingredients are the cheapest and the food was not cooked in the restaurant. 

I'll take Türkiye as my choice any day especially considering the US has a rampant gun culture, with pronounced racism, drug use, obesity, crime, unengaging population and a toxic political environment.  Not to mention the high cost of drugs and healthcare.  To reinforce my sentiments on the US, watch this video where the host youtube couple discuss their views of the US after living as digital nomads abroad after 12 years.

Unfortunately, I do recognize that for average Türks, it is economically very tough and have empathy for them.

cdw057

EUR/USD  7 per person  is incredibly cheap.

Even if our cheap restaurant (n Mahmutlar)  for (good) i have to say Lentil soup, for main dish (some additional chips), chicken shish (for my wife), Oshmanish Kebab for me, tea and Kebleva totallly TRY 1500 (including tip).

But it was good and also important also good service.

The higher end restaurants with the same menu are only a bit higher (a shame in a way)

Acceptable, but every day??

My wife cooks very well.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Alanya

• Marriage in Türkiye
    Marriage in Türkiye

Türkiye, with its stunning landscapes and rich cultural heritage, has become a sought-after wedding ...

• Retire in Türkiye
    Retire in Türkiye

Türkiye, a perfect blend of history, culture, and breathtaking landscapes, is viewed by many as an ideal ...

• Relocating to Türkiye
    Relocating to Türkiye

Bringing along their cherished possessions helps many expats make themselves at home in their new country. ...

• Accommodation in Istanbul
    Accommodation in Istanbul

The largest city in Türkiye, Istanbul is one of the most popular travel destinations for foreigners. There is ...

• Working in Izmir
    Working in Izmir

Izmir is the third largest city in Türkiye. It shows buoyant activity in industry, agriculture, and services ...

• Accommodation in Izmir
    Accommodation in Izmir

Moving to Izmir? Great idea! Türkiye's third-largest city, Izmir combines the cultural and entertainment ...

• Starting a business in Türkiye
    Starting a business in Türkiye

If you are thinking about starting a business in Türkiye, there are several things you will need to look ...

• Buying property in Türkiye
    Buying property in Türkiye

Türkiye has increasingly become a magnet for expats looking to invest in property. With its alluring blend of ...

All of Alanya's guide articles