Menu
Expat.com

Mauritian citizenship by descent

Last activity 22 August 2024 by gerardevyjerry

DamoM

Hi All,

Wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction. My father was born in mauritius but long story short was naturilsed in South Africa so i was born while he was a South african citizen.My mother is also south african. My granparetns on his side are both mauritian and still live in mauritius - can I apply for citizenship through them? I want to go stay and help them with day to day work.

Bhavna

@DamoM

Hello and welcome !

Does your father hold dual citizenship since he has been naturalised ?

I would suggest that you contact the Citizenship section to enquire : https://dha.govmu.org/Pages/Services/Citizenship.aspx

Regards

Bhavna

Pablo888

@DamoM, the link that @Bhavna has provided is a great start.

There is also another thread that explains how other expats have successfully completed the task that you are embarking on.  I am not sure if the laws have changed but the process appears to work as the latest success story is quite recent (April 2024).

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=826447

Good luck.

beatrice63

Hello

there is also the diaspora scheme opened to grand-children of Mauritians, I invite you to check about the conditions on the EDB website.

Pablo888

Hello
there is also the diaspora scheme opened to grand-children of Mauritians, I invite you to check about the conditions on the EDB website.

-@beatrice63

@beatrice63, is it possible to provide more information about the diaspora scheme?  This is the first time that I am hearing about that.

Can you please clarify the "grand-children" portion of the scheme?  Does this mean that if children of Mauritian citizens are not naturalized, the grand-children can be?  This is the first time that I am hearing of a "skip a generation" type of naturalization.....

Thank you in advance.

beatrice63

@Pablo888

It is not a naturalization

it is a scheme to attract people in Mauritius who have some roots in Mauritius:

"For the purposes of this scheme, a member of the Mauritian Diaspora:

a. is one who is –

i. A citizen of Mauritius and who holds a valid Mauritian passport; or

ii. A child or grandchild of the citizen referred to in paragraph (i) whether

the child or grandchild holds a valid Mauritian passport or not [..]"

https://edbmauritius.org/wp-content/upl … elines.pdf

Pablo888

@Pablo888
It is not a naturalization
    -@beatrice63

Thank you @beatrice63.  I read through the document. 

I don't understand how the diaspora scheme is better than a non-diaspora non-resident visa as there is no guarantee of getting permanent resident status without an employment or investment contract.

In the end, the diaspora scheme does not guarantee citizenship by descent as it follows the same path as a non-citizen who needs to earn permanent residence and then apply for citizenship.

Did I understand this correctly?

beatrice63

the diaspora scheme does not guarantee citizenship or permanent resident

the difference is that the diaspora scheme gives you a package of incentives including income tax exemptions (during 10 years), exemption on excise duty, customs duty, VAT and Registration Duty.

Pablo888

@beatrice63 thank you for the explanation.

mauritiusmauritius

Hallo to all of you

i have simple Question ?

Iam born and brought in Mauritius .I was the Citizen of Mauritius till 1987 then i renounce my Citizenship

Now i am retired and would like to return for good and try to get ma Mauritius Citizenship back well

could some inform the best way to get my Mauritius citizenship back.

B.Regards

Bhavna

@mauritiusmauritius

Hello and welcome !

Contact the Citizenship Department, they will guide you : https://dha.govmu.org/Pages/Services/Citizenship.aspx

Regards

Bhavna

gerardevyjerry

@mauritiusmauritius

I was born here in 1962 and left for Australia in 1972.

I decided my wife (Australian) and I will come to live here.

I had to apply for what they call redemption of Citizenship, the process is all about correct documents:

• birth certificate of parents and wedding certificate (or death certificate in my case)
  • wedding certificate of my parents
  • my birth certificate
  • my marriage certificate
  • proof of where I will live (lease or purchased housing documents)
  • how you will support yourself financially

Given both of your parents were born in Mauritius just get the above documents, if not I do not know that process ?

It is all lodged for 1500 rupees and 25000 rupees once given the citizenship. Minister for Citenzenships office.

Now here are the curve balls:

• My fathers death certificate had a middle name missing to that of birth certificate X
  • had to get 2 witnesses to swear in front court officer that the 2 of same person on both certificates (document by done attorney)
  • my middle name had a spelling error (again sworn it is me)
  • I lodged April 2024 they said one year
  • To remain here (Mauritius) whilst awaiting citizenship, it has a been a nightmare and different versions from various officers we visited in immigration.
  • My passport is stamped until Sept 2024, next week I will go and get a permanent extension awaiting citizenship.
  • My wife has to fly out (Mauritius) and in due to the system not recognizing her status, until my citizenship is granted then she stays under spouse visa for 4 years then she is granted permancy

Please understand my journey may be different to others, I have had the assistance of a Mauritian Barrister (family) yet the officers at each department we visited had various versions of what is the correct process, it can be very frustrating coming from Australia where everything is so detailed and clear.

Good luck

Gerard

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

All of Mauritius's guide articles