Menu
Expat.com

Self employed residence permit processing times

Last activity 09 October 2024 by zurtle

zurtle

Hi all,

I applied for the self employed residence permit on 23rd July and am waiting for the approval in principle before I can travel to Mauritius and finish the second part of the process(Medicals and stuff)

The EDB portal says minimum 8 days and average 21 days for the processing time.

Are these timelines accurate?

Has anyone else been through the process, if yes then how long did it take for the first approval in principle?

Thanks

lanahallas

@zurtle Hi, I applied for OP, how many days did it take you to process ? Did you get the visa?

Thanks, lana

zurtle

@lanahallas

Hello Lana,

Here are my exact timelines.

Applied online from outside Mauritius on July 23rd.

Received approval in principle on Aug 23rd. It was valid for 90 days within which I must enter Mauritius.

Entered Mauritius on Sept 8th. (I was on vacation elsewhere and so the delay in entering approval)

After entering Mauritius I had to get the following things sorted.

1. Get BRN and register business activity
  2. Get Medical exam done and get certificate from doctor
  3. Transfer investment (35k USD) to local account OR show proof of 35k USD in a foreign account (This statement must be stamped/certified by the bank)

Medical took 30mins to finish all tests. Got reports and certificate 5 days later.

BRN took 15mins and got card on the spot.

I already had a bank account in Mauritius so had to make a transfer and get a statement from the Bank.

I then uploaded all remaining documents on Sept 18th.

EDB then scheduled an appointment for in-person verification on Sept 23rd.

Went to EDB office on Sept 23rd and got verbal approval that my permit was granted. Received registration certificate the same day on the online platform. They told me to come the next week to collect my permit.

Went to EDB office again on Sept 30th. Got my resident permit and ID card the same day.

So everything was fast for me. I took some extra time to enter Mauritius so the whole thing took 2 months from initial application to permit in hand.

You can do it in 40-45 days in a best case scenario.

Please DM me if you need more info.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

All of Mauritius's guide articles