Retire in Cebu Island.

Where are medium sized cities on the Island of Cebu worth retiring not to include Cebu City?

I've not been to either but have heard good things from expats about Bogo City and San Remigio

I have looked into Moalboal, Badian, Dalaguete, Alcoy & Argao.  All have some charm.  Moalboal, way to many tourists and busy... great to visit but not to live.  Badian seems a better alternative to Moalboal however still lots of tourists and like all of Cebu, the roads are narrow, crowded and could be in better condition.

Dalaguete, Alcoy and Argao again suffer from less than ideal road infrustructure but the pace it a bit more civalized.  Goood shoping in Dalaguete and Alcoy is close by.  Larry Fisher can tell you more about Argao, I don't have a good understanding of this area.  Hospitals, you need to ride into Cebu for anything significant and that is a long slow journy with the road condition... I would not feel great about the travel in an emergency.  No one gets out of the way to let ambulance pass in the Philippines... they need a cultural shift for this to happen.

Cheers, hope this helps. 

I have looked into Moalboal, Badian, Dalaguete, Alcoy & Argao.  All have some charm.  Moalboal, way to many tourists and busy... great to visit but not to live.  Badian seems a better alternative to Moalboal however still lots of tourists and like all of Cebu, the roads are narrow, crowded and could be in better condition.Dalaguete, Alcoy and Argao again suffer from less than ideal road infrustructure but the pace it a bit more civalized.  Goood shoping in Dalaguete and Alcoy is close by.  Larry Fisher can tell you more about Argao, I don't have a good understanding of this area.  Hospitals, you need to ride into Cebu for anything significant and that is a long slow journy with the road condition... I would not feel great about the travel in an emergency.  No one gets out of the way to let ambulance pass in the Philippines... they need a cultural shift for this to happen.Cheers, hope this helps.          -@AlbertaDonuts

Excellent summary, Don. We built a place near Dalaguete, in the mountains. It's a beautiful and peaceful area - not developed at all, probably why it still remains so nice, haha. The most peace and quiet I have ever experienced in the PI. There are not many amenities or services other than the basics.  A few coffee shops and several Filipino eateries, a couple of motorbike dealers, a central market, and a couple ATM's that sometimes don't work.  A medical clinic that covers only the basics - they do not even have the rabies vaccine, but fixed up one of our boys when he crashed the motorbike.

You need to go one hour north to Carcar for a lot of things - automotive parts/tires, home hardware and appliances, etc. Or south 3 hours to Dumaguete, where we spend most of our time as the schools are better. The Cebu Nautical Highway that runs north/south is in terrible condition from the heavy trucks transporting goods south to Negros, which is reached by ferry. The drive into Cebu used to be 2 hours, it is now at least three, due to massive congestion once you get north of Carcar and through Talisay. You would indeed probably die if you needed a hospital.

Cities such as Talisay, Minglanilla, Lapu Lapu, etc are all part of the congested and polluted metro area.  I think the municipalities north of Cebu might be a reasonable option, and little better developed than the south - Carmen, and Poblacion, for example.  And there is also Toledo City, on the west side of the island from Cebu, as well as San Carlos City, a short ferry ride from there on Negros. But for greater amenities, while staying in the proximity of Cebu, I would strongly consider the islands of Bohol or Negros, buth of which have several medium sized cities like Tagbilaran, Bacolod, Dumaguete, etc. I think that is where you will find the sweet spot - enough amenities but not overdeveloped.

100% agree with you and as I have not purchased yet you remind me I keep saying I will investigate north of Cebu City... but I have not done that yet.  Are you still in Dalaguete?  Maybe your place in the mountains is one of the ones I was hipong would be for sale.  Haha.

Cheers

Haha, there definitely are some nice foreigner homes in the area, but I could never sell ours -  she loves gardening there too much and I love the views, and the peace and quiet. That said, we spend most of our time in Dumaguete, where the boys are in much better schools.

Have you spent much time on Negros or Bohol? I lived in Panglao for 6 months and found it quite nice and relaxing (just avoid Alona beach), and we find Negros very enjoyable, due to all the nature and scenic beauty.

I have spent a couple weeks in Panglao,  mostly diving.  I did look at homes and land there.  Wow highest prices I have seen in the Philippines.

I have spent a lot of time in Negros, actually that is the area I know best and where I am now.  You are in Duma and I am in Dauin.  The views in the mountains here are nice but not as nice as in Dalagete area.

The roads here are so much better then Cebu Island.  From Dauin into Duma is only 20 to 25 min.  It is a beautiful drive till you get to north Bacong and roads go down to 2 lanes and traffic increases... sort of like being in Cebu but with better pavement.

Negros is beautiful, I have found a few hidden gems we can talk about in PM.

Cheers,

@AlbertaDonuts

From Dauin into Duma is only 20 to 25 min.  It is a beautiful drive till you get to north Bacong and roads go down to 2 lanes and traffic increases

Apparently they have widened the road in parts but left the lamposts in place 🙄

It is true the lamp posts are a hazard that sits in the middle of the right lane in numerous places in the philippines.  Drive careful.  It is only 2 lanes as you get close to Duma and it is where traffic gets heavy.

Patience... we are in paradise. 

Donald