Menu
Expat.com

Returning Citizen paperwork for sending a container

Last activity 07 October 2024 by gsamsoon

JPD1

Hi, I live in the UK, but I am going to Mauritius as a Returning Citizen. I am going to be sending my belongings back in a container. This will include personal, household and a car. The car is older that 18mths and not over 4yrs. can anyone tell me what paperwork I need, that will allow me to send the container. I know I need to get permission and get the green light from the mauritian authority. If anyone could help with a list and where to submit them.

I tried ringing the Embassy in London, but the pointed me to the MRA. The MRA have not responded to my email yet.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks so much.

Malgun9

Hi @JPD1,

I would suggest that you get your chosen shipper in the UK to liaise with their counterpart in Mauritius so that you get the correct information including co-ordinating on the ground in Mauritius.  After all, your shipper should have a duty of guiding you properly especially if you are doing a door to door service shipping package with them and it is in their interest to make sure all the paper work is in order.

Bernard Wiehe44

Your chosen shipping company takes care of all the paperwork and have an appointed agent on the ground in Mauritius .

The agent contacts you in Mauritius and guides and advises you through the whole process .

I moved my container from South Africa in Agust 2023 , also as a returning citizen , and was very impressed with the whole process .

gsamsoon

Hi

I have sent 2 full container load ro mru as returning citizen. The most important paperwork is your bill of lading, which is provided by your shipping agent. Essentially the bill of lading contains a list of items you're shipping. List does not need to be detailed. A separate list, detailed need to be provided in your possession when going to customs in mru. That detailed list is the working list by the shipping agent in mru which is submitted to customs.

Please do not place or itemize prominently items for construction, like plastic conduit pipes, ceramic tiles, electrical flex etc. They'll be taxed.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Moving to Mauritius
    Moving to Mauritius

So you are moving to Mauritius. You have obtained your visa. You have a job, or you have been accepted to ...

• Moving to Mauritius with your pet
    Moving to Mauritius with your pet

Non-resident pet owners need to seek approval for Residence Permit before bringing their pet to Mauritius. Once ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles