Menu
Expat.com

First-timers 5 month visit, living light. Things to bring from US?

Last activity 02 October 2024 by cvco

jimfranh2017

Wife and I will spend Nov-Mar on our first-time trip to Malaysia (with some inter-travel in SEA). To stay nimble since we'll tour around, we're planning on backpacks instead of roller luggage and thinking that we'll bring 1 sacrificial suitcase to be able to bring some checked items, then transfer them to the backpacks upon arrival.

From my limited research so far, it seems that these items will be good to bring from the US-

Two 750 ml bottles of 20% Picaridin liquid insect repellent ($50/200MYR each)

Two Lifestraw GO filtering water bottles ($40/160MYR each)

Our preferred vitamin supplements

Minimal wardrobe since shopping can be done in KL.

Side question- High speed phone data looks to be spotty away from KL? We've been full-time traveling the US for 2 years since retiring, using Starlink for internet. I have contemplated purchasing the new Starlink Mini upon arrival there. It fits in a backpack, and will allow us to have high-speed connectivity anywhere and keep up with our favorite streaming services (with VPN of course).

Thanks in advance for any consideration and tips!

Jim & Fran

wyngrove60

Actually, I don't see why you are bringing those things since everything can be bought here and also all around SEA. Lots of mosquito repellents out here. Everyone drinks bottled water in SEA and it's really cheap and available everywhere. Vitamin supplements is big in SEA, big sections of pharmacies and some super markets sell them and mostly they are imported.

cvco

Malaysia has everything but some things like vitamins are much more expensive than what you can get at amazon or walmart in USA so sure, bring them.

Lifestraw. You wouldnt need one unless youd be spending all of your time in the jungles, drinking out of rivers.

Starlink. Its new in Malaysia and there are a few dealers. Google them and ask if they have the equipment you want and what, if any, service contracts they would expect you to sign. I would expect the cost to be high, too. Again, internet is OK around the country and unless you are using hotspots like at McDonalds or Starbucks, youd need an address to get service for in which case something like Starkink can be beneficial but check it out with the dealers in advance.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Malaysia

• Moving with your pet to Malaysia
    Moving with your pet to Malaysia

If you have a cat or a dog that you cannot part with, transporting it to Malaysia is an important decision. ...

• Relocating to Malaysia
    Relocating to Malaysia

If you are only moving to Malaysia for a short time, it may be worth considering furniture storage while renting ...

• Driving in Malaysia
    Driving in Malaysia

You are moving to Malaysia and want to drive for work or travel there? Follow our guide!

• Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods
    Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods

Kuala Lumpur is a real megalopolis, surrounded by suburbs and neighborhoods so different from each other that they ...

• Internships in Malaysia
    Internships in Malaysia

Are you a student or recent graduate who wishes to develop your expertise while experiencing a work environment ...

• Buying property in Kuala Lumpur
    Buying property in Kuala Lumpur

When you plan to move to another country or another city, your first concern is undoubtedly where you are going to ...

• The Malaysian lifestyle
    The Malaysian lifestyle

Malaysia is such a melting pot of geographical, cultural and social diversity that there is something for ...

• Phones and internet in Malaysia
    Phones and internet in Malaysia

Malaysians are known to be social media addicts, so there's no shame if internet access is one of your main ...

All of Malaysia's guide articles