Menu
Expat.com

Best way to move to Malaysia

Last activity 03 October 2023 by jfrbellavance

hudaasadi91

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me based on their experiences.

I wish to move to Malaysia with my family, I've been applying for jobs for the past few months but haven't gotten lucky.

Can you give me recommendations on what's the best way to guarantee my move to Malaysia. Are there places or agencies I can apply through? is it recommended to come on temporary basis and look for a job there?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Reny Chandy

Hi,

I have also moved to Malaysia with my Family a few months back. But my wife had been transferred to Malaysia. So she had a good salary so we could move without much thinking. I have been trying for a Job for the last 3-4 months.....but no luck till now. The issuance of work permits is not easy for expats. It all depends on what is your profession...If you are from IT or Logistics industry....there is a high possibility of getting a job & work permit. In other fields you really need to try hard.

Malaysia as a country is beautiful & peaceful. Education is expensive if you are sending kids to International schools. All the best!!!

dnvenkatt

@hudaasadi91

Hi, Unless your partner is a Malaysian, u can think of moving provided your partner has a job. Moving here and then looking for jobs is definately not recommended as locals are prefered and secondly to get work permit is very difficult. IT field has opportunities but i will still prefer you to get a job offer first.  Its is frustating enough to look for jobs or alternatives . If one partner is stable in malaysia it becomes a bit easy but again has a lots of do's and dont's.

International schools are quite expensive here includng medical. Insurance is also not that cheap.

dnvenkatt

Hi,First and foremost is your partner a Malaysian? Then u can enter as a tourist and then apply for a dependant pass. Here too they might ask you to leave the country once all documents are submitted and come back when the file is approved. U will need to check docs list. Initially starts with 6months single entry and then renewals with multiple entries. Have to keep renewing.If u r from IT background , better to get offer first. Coming here to look for jobs will be quite disastrous in my experience. Alternatively U can set up Ur biz if your partner is Malaysian by just endorsing your dependant visa for free. Again many dog's and dont's on that.Hope the above helpsJob market for.IT is good , others not so well paid and prefer locals.

jfrbellavance

If you have the $$$ you can apply for a MM2H visa (good for 20 years) but it is not cheap and a good chunk of your money gets locked up (and converted to RM) for the duration of your stay.  The younger you are, the more expensive it is.  I believe you can do it once you are 30 y.o. but count at least $500K.

good luck

Articles to help you in your expat project in Malaysia

• Moving with your pet to Malaysia
    Moving with your pet to Malaysia

If you have a cat or a dog that you cannot part with, transporting it to Malaysia is an important decision. ...

• Relocating to Malaysia
    Relocating to Malaysia

If you are only moving to Malaysia for a short time, it may be worth considering furniture storage while renting ...

• Driving in Malaysia
    Driving in Malaysia

You are moving to Malaysia and want to drive for work or travel there? Follow our guide!

• Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods
    Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods

Kuala Lumpur is a real megalopolis, surrounded by suburbs and neighborhoods so different from each other that they ...

• Internships in Malaysia
    Internships in Malaysia

Are you a student or recent graduate who wishes to develop your expertise while experiencing a work environment ...

• Buying property in Kuala Lumpur
    Buying property in Kuala Lumpur

When you plan to move to another country or another city, your first concern is undoubtedly where you are going to ...

• The Malaysian lifestyle
    The Malaysian lifestyle

Malaysia is such a melting pot of geographical, cultural and social diversity that there is something for ...

• Phones and Internet in Malaysia
    Phones and Internet in Malaysia

Malaysians are known to be social media addicts, so there's no shame if internet access is one of your main ...

All of Malaysia's guide articles