Menu
Expat.com

Driving licence

Last activity 16 October 2024 by johnukeas

alffvdh

Well, I have come across my first stumbling block since moving to Thailand just over 3 months ago. No problems with my visa, no problems with the bank, no problems with my visa extension. But...... then I went to enquire about getting a Thai driving licence.

Everything I've seen suggests that if you have a current drivers licence from your home country you should have little difficulty getting a Thai drivers licence.

So we went to our nearest licensing facility just out of Nakhon Sawan. I went with my wife who is a Thai national and who also wanted to  get a licence. She already has a current licence from my home country.

Turns out she will be allowed to get a licence after jumping through some hoops. Fair enough. But for me? According to the nice lady behind the counter I can not get a licence because I don't speak Thai. We informed her that I have some Thai language, such as 'turn left, turn right, stop, and that I can count quite well in Thai so my ability to communicate speeds is not a problem.

She said I would have to be a 'fluent Thai speaker'.

Well, I am well aware that arguing will get nowhere so I thanked her and smiled and left.

I've never heard this rule. Have you?

In the short term I believe I will be okay as I am driving on my NZ licence with an International driving permit. But long-term this may be an issue, and I'm pretty sure I will never be a 'fluent Thai speaker' even though I am trying to learn.

Any suggestions? Any advice?

kevh

I wouldnt worry about it mate. Whenever ive been stopped at a road check by Police I've never been asked for my licence. If your there over 3 years(i think thats how long theyre valid for now) just renew your international driving permit. I suppose if you're involved in an accident you may be asked to produce a licence but this is Thailand so who knows, i think that they’re more likely to ask for your passport.

alffvdh

Yeah. I guess so. Well, I'll make sure the wife gets her Thai licence just in case.

Maybe in the future we might visit Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket for a couple of days. They seem to be more versed in catering to farang.  I think my problem here is that they don't know what to do, rather than find a solution they just say no.

I wonder if they would let my wife ride with us and translate if needed?

Well, the attitude of the 'nice' lady didn't suggest that she was interested in helping at all, and her requirement for "100% Thai language", quoted as said, is totally unrealistic.

On on....

JOHNMELL

Think she has made up that rule.On no website does it say this is a requirement, regarding foreigners getting a thai driving license.Ask to see her boss.

alffvdh

Yeah, she seemed to have decided without any attempt to see if I had enough rudimentary language to get through the tests.

Interestingly, videos I've seen from Bangkok show the theory test written in English.

Other thing that was strange was that she was insisting that we would have to have lessons and sit the full test.

I have a clean driving licence for over 45 years which is current, and a current International Driving Permit. Most information I have seen suggests that, if you hold a current licence to drive, you don't need to take lessons or indeed sit all of the tests.

I think none of them there could speak English so it was easier to just say no with a made up reason. Even though my wife could translate between us.

We'll travel to Bangkok and sort it there.

martinoo2002

I wouldnt worry about it mate. Whenever ive been stopped at a road check by Police I've never been asked for my licence. If your there over 3 years(i think thats how long theyre valid for now) just renew your international driving permit. I suppose if you're involved in an accident you may be asked to produce a licence but this is Thailand so who knows, i think that they’re more likely to ask for your passport.

-@kevh

The rule is 6 months and the police might not be interested, but the insurance companies are when you are involved, even if it is not your fault, in an error. Fine print in the policy.

martinoo2002

@alffvdh

Just go to a neighboring district and get it done there

The lady for some reason is not cooperative, that can happen

alffvdh

Yeah, you're probably right. Will discuss with the boss and see what she reckons. Just one of the down-sides of living upcountry instead in an ex-pat enclave. I think you are correct about the 6 month 'rule' and the insurance companies.

WiredTight

@alffvdh,

Sounds like you are on the right track...just chalk it up to Bad Luck and move on.

A couple rules I "Try" to follow when dealing with government or other business bureaucracy...

1. Do your homework before arriving.
  2. Bring extra copies of paper work, or documentation. The last thing you want to hear is the Printer - Copier is broken.
  3. Print out the Rules from government or business website.
  4. Keep your cool. Don't raise your voice, and no big hand or arm gesture. I actually stick my thumbs in my belt loops.
  5. Know when to bow out, and fight your battles for another day.
  6. Leave an opening for the person on the other side to SAVE FACE, once you proven beyond a doubt you are correct, and they are wrong.
retiredamerican

@alffvdh hire agent!

Goodmorningthailand
Yeah, she seemed to have decided without any attempt to see if I had enough rudimentary language to get through the tests.-@alffvdh

This is typically the kind of answer you hear here and there in Thailand: here, we don't do it. Going to another DLT office, you could get another answer.

In my area, you can take the test in English, after having followed the training day. The next day, a driving test of a few minutes, and that's all, folks !

alffvdh

Just thought I'd take a moment to thank those who have taken the time to comment and offer advice regarding this issue.

Much appreciated!

johnukeas

I have had no problems. Got both motorbike ans car licence straight away for 2 years. Just renewed for 5 years, took 40 minutes

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles