Menu
Expat.com

Locked bank account Pireus (Living abroad, Sweden)

Last activity 08 October 2024 by My Bigfn

My Bigfn

So, I have an account earlier that I opened at the branch with my ID. After a couple of years it got locked. When I visited Bank Piraeus during the summer, the employee required documentation such as electricity bill, tax declaration, and a document confirming my employment and address. All the country I am living in and also TRANSLATED into Greek. I have tried to get in touch with translators and it cost me 50 euro per page, at the same time the documents have to be stamped by the consulate, another 50-100 euro. This procedure making me think that I'm not doing it correct. Do all banks have these high requirements? Am I detouring, is there something I don't know about? Appreciate how others have done.

I have AFM and Greek ID card but live abroad, Sweden.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Athens

• Banking in Greece
    Banking in Greece

It is possible to open a bank account as an expatriate in Greece, but a residence permit is needed. Having a Greek ...

• Setting up a business in Greece
    Setting up a business in Greece

Starting your own company or being self-employed in Greece is not easy for non-locals, let alone for non-EU ...

• Getting married in Greece
    Getting married in Greece

Dreaming of getting married in Greece? Whether you're a foreigner or a Greek citizen, tying the knot in this ...

• Residence permits in Greece
    Residence permits in Greece

Obtaining a residency permit is crucial if you want to remain in Greece as an expat, allowing you to access many ...

• How to drive in Greece
    How to drive in Greece

Driving in Greece is not for the faint of heart. Apart from the logistics of converting your driving license or ...

• Work visas for Greece
    Work visas for Greece

Greece is a popular destination for foreigners looking to work and live in the EU, but navigating the visa and ...

• Leisure activities in Greece
    Leisure activities in Greece

Greece has a rich culture and gastronomy scene, along with drinking, as well as plenty of things to see and learn, ...

• Accommodation in Greece
    Accommodation in Greece

If everything you've heard about Greece and its financial situation has you slightly disheartened, worry not: ...

All of Athens's guide articles