Menu
Expat.com

$100 bills

Last activity 12 October 2024 by OceanBeach92107

THIGV

I am presently tasked with going to the bank in Honolulu to purchase crispy new $100 bills in preparation for my wife's upcoming trip.  It is the 100 day anniversary of her mother's death.  (I'm not sure there is such a word for the 100th day in English as anniversary really means year.)

My question is, is the obsession with new US$100 bills as a medium of exchange unique to the South. Is it a remnant of the war and subsequent diaspora or is it the preferred medium of exchange in Hanoi as well

OceanBeach92107
I am presently tasked with going to the bank in Honolulu to purchase crispy new $100 bills in preparation for my wife's upcoming trip. It is the 100 day anniversary of her mother's death. (I'm not sure there is such a word for the 100th day in English as anniversary really means year.)My question is, is the obsession with new US$100 bills as a medium of exchange unique to the South. Is it a remnant of the war and subsequent diaspora or is it the preferred medium of exchange in Hanoi as well -@THIGV

My experience:

Legally, there's no difference between decree 88/2019/NĐ-CP enforcement throughout Vietnam, when doing acceptable transactions in foreign currency, such as USD to VNĐ exchange at banks.

However there's still a lot of illegal pricing in dollars in the expat friendly areas of the country.

Specifically in the Hanoi Hoàn Kiếm Old Quarter area, signs with pricing in USD are ubiquitous.

Prices in USD are frequently quoted on social media groups such as the Hanoi Massive FB group.

My general sense is that Vietnamese merchants like to quote prices in dollars because they are able to extract a hidden additional profit by exaggerating their personal exchange rate in their favor, and that's always been so wherever I've traveled in the country.

I refuse to pay anyone in dollars, not because I don't have them but because I know the price will never be fair to me.

So I always demand pricing in VNĐ.

However, if you are talking about hoarding, gold is still King.

The new government rules regarding electronic transfers are making it very difficult for people to successfully complete large cash transactions.

it's reportedly going to get even worse in the future when the government plans to specifically target the large transactions normally made in cash for real estate sales.

My gut tells me that enforcement of decree 88 is probably stricter in Hanoi, as the government policy against dollarization is seen as a patriotic issue, with the Hanoi old guard leading the way in compliance.

But you guys have a Schwab account so unless you are planning to exchange a huge amount, you will get a great exchange rate using your Visa debit card.

I just paid ₫57 million VNĐ cash for our next 6 month's rent and I was able to get the cash fairly quickly at an MB bank ATM (45 million in 9 pulls of 5 million) and the next day at an Agribank ATM near our house (12 million more in 4 pulls of 3 million each).

The MB bank ATM is a convenient stop for us when going to and from our monthly trip to the Đà Nẵng Mega Market.

I'm sure there are more Vietnamese people in the south who like to hoard dollars than there are in the north, probably because their parents and their grandparents taught them to value the greenback more than the đồng.

However there have been two major swings in the USD/VNĐ exchange rate in the last 3 years and that is almost certainly causing the black market exchange rates to shrink.

screenshot_20241012_082747_chrome4515952477178267865.jpg

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Opening a bank account in Vietnam
    Opening a bank account in Vietnam

If you have decided to settle in Vietnam, you will definitely need to open a bank account. Not only will this be ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles