Menu
Expat.com

Do I need to apply for dual citizenship for my two year old.

Last activity 27 February 2012 by RoxyLee

RoxyLee

Hi

My daughter was born in SA and her father is British so she qualifies for both citizenship. If I get her a British passport do I need to apply for dual citizenship for her? If so how? Also we are returning to SA for a holiday, if I get her the british passport will I need to get the dual citizenship before we leave? Will they even know, if I leave here on the British one and enter there on the SA one?

Please help.

Thanks

pacbo

its sound me same as my parents case but different nationalities ,i am sure you can can , have a good luck

Harmonie

Hi RoxyLee and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon find a solution to this issue.wink.png

Do not hesitate to glance at the articles in our participative guide. It may be helpful.

Harmonie.

RoxyLee

Thank you Harmonie and Pacbo

Joanne_UK

Dual citizenship just means that she is the citizen of more than one country. As long as SA allows her to have another another passport (citizenship, some countries do not allow that) than all you have to do is to apply for her British passpor (that means she will have dual citizenship)

See here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afri … nality_law

RoxyLee

Thank you so much Joanne

Articles to help you in your expat project in England

• The UK Student visa
    The UK Student visa

With over 100 universities to choose from, including some of the most reputable ones in the world, studying in the ...

• Work visas in the United Kingdom
    Work visas in the United Kingdom

If you're considering a long-term move to the UK, particularly for employment purposes, it is essential to ...

• Indefinite Leave to Remain
    Indefinite Leave to Remain

As I entered my apartment building one day earlier this week, I noticed a brown envelope in my post slot just as I ...

• Professional visas for the United Kingdom
    Professional visas for the United Kingdom

In 2020, the United Kingdom introduced a new, more streamlined immigration system using a points-based approach. ...

• Settlement in the UK
    Settlement in the UK

Settling in the UK opens the doors to numerous opportunities. It allows you to participate in the labour market, ...

• The Youth Mobility Scheme in the United Kingdom
    The Youth Mobility Scheme in the United Kingdom

If you are aged between 18 and 30 and are looking to live and work in the United Kingdom, the Youth Mobility ...

• Entrepreneur visas
    Entrepreneur visas

There are several UK professional visas that you can choose to apply for depending on your professional status and ...

• Work in Brighton
    Work in Brighton

With over 275,000 people, Brighton is a popular destination among expats from all walks of life. Once you visit ...

All of England's guide articles