Menu
Expat.com

Wasta

Last activity 24 June 2012 by boyet1967

Kayvictoria

Hi again guys n girls!
I keep hearing we need a wasta to speed up driving license procedure.... In around 2weeks I will have the civil ID and so want to drive ASAP.
Any advice on where/how to get a wasta!?

ksfm12

I don't think wasta is a tangible thing. It is more of an idea that a person has more pull/ or has more power because they belong to a certain family or have money.

Kayvictoria

I see, thank you!

jazzy851

Good luck on getting your driving licence sorted out. smile.png

You will find the driving experience somewhat...erm... fun or to describe it another way, eyebrow raiser in the Gulf compared to driving in Europe. big_smile.png

J

legacy

hey Kay smile.png u might enjoy reading this, a beginners intro into the concept of wasta (here)

dont believe everything u hear, some people are just lazy and believe wasta makes the world go round.

are u converting a Brit licence into Kuwaiti or going for the Kuwaiti test?

Kayvictoria

Cheers guys!!
Legacy, I'm converting the Brit one to Kuwait lisence. Have decided to buy a big safe car, maybe American. Safety comes first!!
Must say I was totally shocked by the cars on the road...felt like I was at an F1 race or something, haha!

jazzy851

Legacy, I'm converting the Brit one to Kuwait lisence. Have decided to buy a big safe car, maybe American. Safety comes first!!

Good and wise choice! wink.png

Must say I was totally shocked by the cars on the road...felt like I was at an F1 race or something, haha!

Similar over here in Bahrain big_smile.png

My advise, don't pick up bad driving habbits but go with the flow and drive safely. smile.png

legacy

No way Jazzy! get in the midst of things and pick up the habit, go for it!

tell u what Kay, PM me ur email, and i'll send u an issue of EEK (if ur not already subscribed; if u are it was the 2nd May issue) where an American was detailing the exact procedures he went thru to get his licence converted, as well as a testimonial by another American that driving in Kuwait is much "better" than back home. i mean, where else are stop signs in the streets merely there for scenery? "P

crittle73

I find it strange to see that y'all consider American cars safe! We go for foreign cars here for the exact same reason! Hmm

legacy

actually Crittle, same holds true here, especially the big gas guzzlers, very prone to overturning at high speeds which are encouraged by Kuwait's open roads.

European is the true dream here, whether its high end - Audi, Mercedes or BMW, or moderate like Megan, Citroen, Volvo (?) etc.

crittle73
legacy wrote:

actually Crittle, same holds true here, especially the big gas guzzlers, very prone to overturning at high speeds which are encouraged by Kuwait's open roads.

European is the true dream here, whether its high end - Audi, Mercedes or BMW, or moderate like Megan, Citroen, Volvo (?) etc.

I'm a VW girl myself. It's all I've ever owned!  I have a Tiguan now and love, love, love it! Wish I could bring it with me. neutral.png

legacy

Tiguan,, thats available here too tongue.png

I've embraced the Koreans, very fuel efficient, but it crumples like paper "/ my little bro was in an accident in a Kia back home, the damn thing looks like it went through a blender, airbags didnt work. he and his friends are a-ok tho. still, makes u wonder how safe we really are in our cars O.o

crittle73
legacy wrote:

Tiguan,, thats available here too tongue.png

I've embraced the Koreans, very fuel efficient, but it crumples like paper "/ my little bro was in an accident in a Kia back home, the damn thing looks like it went through a blender, airbags didnt work. he and his friends are a-ok tho. still, makes u wonder how safe we really are in our cars O.o

Well, I just might have to get another one, huh? Kias are nice. A friend of mine has the Sorento. I'm not sure about the safety though. I prefer safety to bells and whistles.

Glad your brother and friends came out unscathed. That's scary when a car becomes an accordion looking machine!

Jebez

We should probably introduce like buttons next to comments (Just like FB)

If you can drive in India, you can drive anywhere in the world... I mean safely.

Kayvictoria

Hehe! 'like' !!
Legacy, I already signed up to Eek! Back in December...also through your recommendation then : )
It's a great magazine, need to read through the recent one.

Zizo87

As a brit you don't need any wasta to get your license it took me abt a week and a half to get it, after I submitted the forum and the required documents. I went by myself it was very easy process. All the info you may need is on the  British embassy website

Good luck

lme

I can't figure out something.  Kuwait is about the size of New Jersey with the population of Brooklyn all living in the northeast side of Kuwait.  From what I see on line everything looks like it is the city and there doesn't seem to be a suburb or inhabited country side.  So my question is:  Where does everyone park since there doesn't seem to be an adequate public transportation system?  And if there is parking, is it generally free parking?  One thing I really like is being able to park right in front of my house.  If I lived in the city I wouldn't even bother buying a car (I would use something that is popping up over here called Zip Cars (it's like a shared car kind of thing), do they have that in Kuwait?)

legacy

ah lme, god bless u wink.png

parking at most malls is FREE, like Avenues and Marina, 360 has a free parking and a paid parking area.

when it comes to around the house, its first come first served, as now all the high rise buildings have been erected with little caution paid to parking.

some buildings have a parking lot beneath the building, but they charge extra for that.

in the end, owning ur own car is advisable, and u can find empty lots where u can park amidst others in almost every area of Kuwait. so dont worry, its not THAT bad.

Jebez

still think a "like" button is necessary :-)

boyet1967

just be careful driving out here and follow the rules of the road and you'll be alright!

boyet1967

you need a good connection in order for anybody to acquire a wasta! believe me, it's well worth it...

Articles to help you in your expat project in Kuwait

• How to drive in Kuwait
    How to drive in Kuwait

If you are planning to move to Kuwait, obtaining a driver's license should be at the top of your to-do list! While ...

• Leisure activities in Kuwait
    Leisure activities in Kuwait

People might assume there isn't much to do in Kuwait as the country is so small, but that would be wrong! The ...

• Banking and finances in Kuwait
    Banking and finances in Kuwait

Soon after arriving in Kuwait, you will likely want to open a Kuwaiti bank account. Opening a bank account can be ...

• Find the best location to live in Kuwait
    Find the best location to live in Kuwait

It is important for us to live in a community that we feel comfortable and secured. I wrote this article for ...

• Phones and internet in Kuwait
    Phones and internet in Kuwait

Staying in touch with friends and family both inside and outside of Kuwait couldn't be easier with today's ...

• Accommodation in Kuwait
    Accommodation in Kuwait

One of the first things you will need to take care of when moving to Kuwait is your accommodation. If you're ...

• The tax system in Kuwait
    The tax system in Kuwait

One of the most attractive features of working in Kuwait for expats is its tax-free personal income environment. ...

• Finding jobs in Kuwait
    Finding jobs in Kuwait

I would like to give you some tips on how to market your skills to stand out from the crowd. I've ...

All of Kuwait's guide articles