African Americans Living In Senegal

Thanks so much @zinno.katta
I think I may have found one now. Maybe.
Difficult to find affordable housing - especially when you have to factor in the additional month for the agent fee.
Such a headache! What to do?!

If it doesn't work out, I'll check here.

Thanks again.
@mouhamedounesarr
I'm not here long enough to know where that is! 🙂
But … welcome! (?)
Keep in touch - just in case you get down/up Dakar way!

You are welcome@Amnesty1
There is nothing to do about the agents fee unless you probably meet the Landlord directly. Houses differ from agents to agents
Just take your time with them and see if the agents can reduce there own payment.
... always call on me if you need more advice.
@zinno.katta
Thanks so much.  I'll reach out again if necessary re: housing.

@zinno.katta good to know this information. Thanks for sharing.

@zinno.katta

Thank you for your reply, Zinno. I apologize for my delayed response.

Deborah
Hello Expat Senegal Family,
I recently returned from a 3-weeks trip to Senegal, my first time in the country, in-fact my first time on the continent. I was traveling for work but I was able to extend my stay and see some of the country. I spent a week in Dakar, a few days in Saly and almost a week in Point Saréne where I stayed at the beautiful new Riu Baobab Hotel.

My husband who is Senegalese and I would very much like to relocate to Senegal but so far we have not been able to zero in on the right property for purchase. I think it would be cool if a group of us expats would work together to purchase a large enough plot to subdivide amongst us. That way, we may be able to pool our resources to leverage the strength of the group. Any thoughts on such a concept?

Finally, check out the Youtube channel of Afro Millennium Moma who is an expat from Los Angelas who built a house with her Senegalese husband in a village about 80 miles south of Dakar. She offers lots of advice on relocating on Senegal.
Peace and Blessings,

Deborah
My husband and I are beginning to narrow in on an area to live in Ninging or Point Saréne. Anyone else out there in the process of relocating to Senegal?

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering moving to Senegal and will be visiting Dakar to welcome in the New Year. What celebrations are happening in the city on New Year's Eve? Is there an African American community gathering?

@Amnesty1 Yes, I thought moving to Africa would be so much cheaper, but Dakar is ridiculously expensive. Even restaurants. But the agent might be ripping you off anyway because they think we are all so rich. I looked at building a house there too and even that is expensive.

Greetings is this forum still open.

Hello mamajunie0001,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f604.svg

Yes, this forum is still open. Do you have any questions?

Feel free to tell us more about you are your plans on this following thread >  New members of the Senegal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Greetings. I am an African American living in Senegal. I am close to Pink Lake. I am currently in the USA but will return. I am in need of someone to teach me Wolof. Would appreciate any help. Also would like to know if there are any Jamaicans in Dakar. Thanks for any help. Blessings

@Anjya S  You are not far from the truth, but Dakar is also manageable if you use your brain here.

Example buying things in stock, visiting less expensive places but class.

Building a house here in Senegal is cheaper than other places in West Africa but I will agree that buying land in the heart of Dakar is expensive like other capital cities.

Take your time to visit Dakar as a nobody and you will enjoy Dakar with less money.

Emmanuel

@Nancy D82 In any case, there are many events in December, many festivities. It's up to you to choose what interests you

@mouhamedounesarr Thanks so much for your response! What's the best way to find out about all the many activities?

@Anjya S

Good day, I thought the same thing. I'm relocating to Senegal specifically Dakar at the end of the month and I  thought that it would be alot more affordable than U.S. prices, which in some areas can be but the rent prices are ridiculously through the roof which is so sad because many of us want to immerse ourselves in the culture and experience what the country has to offer but at what cost with all these prices. I wish you the best of luck.

@Nancy D82

Good day I will be in Dakar during this time as well and it will be my first time in Senegal during the holidays/ New years. I'm sooo curious to explore and know about any festivities,  parties, or networking events as well. Please share if you find out about anything, maybe we can meet up. 😊

Peace and light All,

Good day is this forum still active? I'm trying to gain some more recent information on housing accommodations, moving and settling in Dakar, and any meet up or networking events for African American, Carribean or individuals from different parts of the diaspora to connect with and explore Senegal and all it has to offer. 😊

@MelanatedBuddafly

Senegal is good , though the housing is high but you can't compare it with Other American cities.

Yes some places are high because of expats and the few house agents.

I suggest you can come to Senegal and take time to look for a moderate home. Please do not show the agents that you are in a haste, you can book a guest house some weeks and take your time to look for houses for rent.

Most people prefer furnished apartment that is why it is expensive, i suggest you look for a serene area with good price like mermos, Sacre coeur3, Liberte, Point E, some places in Almadies, Marmel, some places in marist, and take your time to buy used properties little by little.

I am a foreigner too but i have lived here for more than 10 years, with ease.

Hope you will enjoy your stay here.

@MelanatedBuddafly

When you are here you can source for it in the facebook or google, i think you can meet expats too at Soul 2 ( Soeur 2)  at sicap karack or corniche, place de souvenir, African Renaissance Monument, Goree island,JUST FOR U at Fann etc. Just come and enjoy yourself.

@Nancy D82 Always check here or online, Facebook , google , expats here, locals, neighbors etc

@MelanatedBuddafly very active

@zinno.katta

Thank you very much for your suggestions and the best one of them all just come and enjoy yourself 😉🇸🇳.. I will definitely look into these places.

@zinno.katta

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry and providing some useful tips to help with our move there. I will take your suggestions and look into some of those areas mentioned. 10 years as a foreigner in any country is  remarkable in my book. Did you find the visa process to extend your stay difficult? Or doing any kind of  business difficult?

@MelanatedBuddafly

I live and work here since then. I am from west Africa and Visa is not needed for us. I also think that extending your visa may not be a problem if you are doing a legitimate business coupled with meeting some good lawyers who will advice you well. I know few Americans who are living and working here too. I have never heard them talking about problem of visa here.

Starting business anywhere in the world comes with some difficulties, Senegal is not exception, but I know you can make it later on with good business and people around you.

Goodluck .

@zinno.katta

Thank you for providing me with your feedback and insight into what steps can be taken.

Best wishes in all your endeavors. 😊

Hello I'm Flame and I live in Dakar. I'm from the Midwest in the United States. My email is [link moderated].

@Tammy Reed  welcome my name's Moussa and i'm senegalese. So excited to have you here

Hello all,

I just moved to Dakar, Senegal about 14 days ago and I'm looking to find friends and networking for jobs. My email address is [***]. I look forward to hearing from fellow expats. Take care and may Yahuah shower you in Baruch.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@tierrah0124 Welcome

I am looking for the same.

@mamajunie0001 Hi, I can teach you wolof. I just moved to Dakar. Aby

@Guest5788

Hello

Do you have a Wolof class?

Hello Tammy Reed,

Guest5788 is no longer on the website.

Are you looking for language classes ?

Regards,

Bhavna

Hello I recently visted Senegal and I would love to know more about the realestate and possible purchase.

@regla

I would like to communicate with Americans. I'm originally from 🇯🇲 Jamaica. I don't speak French or Wolof.

Thank you

Hi

With pleasure

@deborahsanders

Pooling our resources is a good idea

Do you know which village Afromillenium momma is located, it is good info from people living there

@Yasmeen Lockett that's is very Great I'm living in Senegal too