New year's eve in Oslo

Hello

We are a group of 4 french friends from Paris and planning to go to Oslo for this new year's eve.
We would like to know what can we do for the new year's eve and your best place to go, as we don't know anybody and we don't want to stay in our hotel room but discover the norvegian way of life.
Thank you for your answer!
regards
Aurore

Hello Aurore.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

salut.....!

@sylas- you should please write in English in this English speaking forum. Thank you.

Hej Aurore!
I m actually living in Sweden but come from France, and in the same way of you: going to Oslo with two friends for the new year's. I m searching for the best place, its seems that in Oslo many people are spending their new year in private event and
actually i haven't find more good plan... I ll ask to Erasmus student come from Oslo and tell you find some good place (if you want to do the same if you find some good plan ;-) )

aurore :D If you ask me I would say book your flights to Oslo and enjoy a few days strolling up & down Karl Johan, the main road in Oslo which begins at the palace and descends for a 2 - 3 kilometres or so down to the railway station.

About halfway down you see Stortinget (parliament) and some small urban parks and fountains , but the Town Hall Square is within walkable distance (15 mins or so) from the main road and there you have the iconic Town Hall building, which is not too pretty by the way! There you also have the ferries comming in from Denmark, and the popular "Akerbrygge" seafront with restaurant establishments. You will also find the Nobel Peace Prize centre there in that place which is at the corner of Akerbrygge / Townhall square.

If you like Viking history then visit one of the Viking museums.

After you have seen all of this you can enjoy your New Year but there is no need to stand in the freezing cold out in the street to celebrate New Year !

There is also Holmenkollen Ski Museum if you are interested but for that you need to take the underground as it is a bit far away.

So basically there isnt many places to visit but it is a nice place to have visited because of it's image as a clean, expensive and snowy destination