Retiring in Malaysia with family

I have a couple of years to go to retire and the plan is to leave the USA after some 40 years here.  I am considering coming to Malaysia for a 2-3 month period to explore what it might be like and whether we can adjust.  I am an American of Indian origin, my wife is of Pakistani origin.  I have a 10 year old son.

The most important thing is a great school for my son, a safe place to live close by.  It would help my wife to have a few Pakistani families in the community, Americans and Indian for me.

I am trying to assess costs, whether one can live decently with about $2000-2250 US each month in a good neighbourhood.  What cities should I consider and where in such a city.

mont kiara, bangsar would be few of the good areas
2k should be enough

Pardon my ignorance but is "mont kiara, bangsar" separate cities or suburbs in KL?  Do they have a good school or two?

Zahmed wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but is "mont kiara, bangsar" separate cities or suburbs in KL?  Do they have a good school or two?

If want to stay in expat's place, or quality place to stay. USD2k - 3k is only enough for rental instead. however you have to spend some monies for your son education. international school fees in malaysia is quite high considered as.

Wow!  I thought cost of living in Malaysia may be less high.  Some had suggested Penang or Johar something down south.  I was looking at a possible 2 bedroom condo to rent, schoolfees for my son, health care cost and such.

Here in the USA, it obviously varies by the city and the area within a city.

you can get unfurnished place in bangsar for 1k usd/month

hi
2k usd rental? yea sure,,,depends where you want to stay,,,
bangsar is an expat area, and you can get a decent place for rm3000 /month even rm2000-2500
can even get 4k usd a month, the point is,,, the total budget is usd2250/month which is rm7000/month
rm2500/month for rent
rm2500/month for home cooking
rm500/month for water/electrical/astro/interet
rm1500/month fees for a 10year old child
ofcourse if you look at the upper end,,its not enough,,,
this is just an idea,,its best you come and have a look for yourself
hope my 2cents helps

^ good information you have, thanks.