Cost of living in Malaysia in 2022

Hi everyone,

Two years after the start of the pandemic, it is time to take stock of the evolution of the cost of living in Malaysia or more specifically, in the region where you live. The idea is to help people get ready for their expatriation to Malaysia to plan their day-to-day budget for some key expenses.

If you are a tenant, what is your monthly rent? Please give details of the type of property you are in.

How much are your monthly charges (water, electricity, common area maintenance charges, etc.) and additional expenses (mobile phone and/or internet box subscriptions)?

How much do you spend on commuting (by public transport or using your car) each month?

How much does your grocery shopping cost in Malaysia?

How much do you spend on health care (health insurance, consultations, etc.)?

How much are your children's school fees, depending on the type of school they attend?

What about your budget for leisure activities?

Do not hesitate to indicate other everyday costs if they could be useful to others.

Thank you for your contribution :)

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Commuting. No commuting, locked in house two years.

Leisure. See above.

Healthcare. My insurance is in another country so im waiting to get sick until im there.

These would be more useful questions:

Have you noticed scarcity of goods? Yes.

Have you noticed prices steadily rising? Yes.

Have you noticed steady growth of business closure? Yes.

Have you noticed more crime? Yes.

Have you noticed more mental illness, suicide, divorce and bankruptcy? Yes.

What are the chances of Malaysia fully opening soon? Zilch.

Are there new restrictions for foreigners who wish to visit? Yes, starting April.

Hows the weather? Weird. Floods, tornados, landslides prevail.

Have you noticed food quality getting worse? Yes.

Hows the shipping and logistics environment? Awful, mainly still closed for shipments out of Malaysia.  Incoming is OK.

How about jobs? Hard to calculate. I ask everyone I know if they have a job, kept their job, lost their job or recently got a new one. Very mixed and unexpected results. Things that were steady and could be relied on arent there now but some people oddly were able to gain new jobs. Some people are in some kind of modified job, like working remotely or reduced work. Many expats expecting to come for work (or MM2H) have delayed plans or have left Malaysia. Everything is in flux, as I can see.

The overall environment for expats for Malaysia isnt very good right now. Its hard to say how much is truly covid related or the using of the pretext of covid to create long-term change. What I think people see more of is advertising to attract tourists in spite of restrictions which are played down.

Happy to help! Come to Malaysia, it is beautiful..

Monthly rent: if you want to live in Kl city centre, expect to pay at least 2000 MYR/month for a 1 bedroom flat in serviced condo. Outside KL, you can find 2 bedrooms-flat in condo for 1600/1800.

Monthly charges: again, dependent on everyone's lifestyle. I drink tap water, take shower every day, wash dishes and cook + 2-3 laundry per week. I spend about 40/50 MYR for electricity, 10 for water, condo maintenance fees are included in rent, internet 129 MYR, mobile 35.

Commuting: If you use Grab to go around, expect to pay about 15 for a 10/15 minute drive. If you use trains, LRT and MRTs, usually a one-way ticket is 2/3 MYR.

Grocery shopping cost: I have lunch at work, that costs about 10/15 MYR per meal. Grocery costs me about 200 MYR/week, I do not buy meat, fish or cheese though, and only beer as alcoholic drinks.

Health insurance is covered by my company.

Going out, expect to pay about 20/30 MYR for a beer, 15MYR for a meal in a normal open restaurant, you will pay more if you have western food or go to fancy places. 

It would be good if people who want to come here reply and ask specific questions, e.g., how much does X cost?

Come to Malaysia!

@Cheryl 

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share my 5 years of experience as an expat in Malaysia.

If you are a tenant, what is your monthly rent? WE LIVE IN MONT KIARA IN 3 BEDROOM CONDO - 9000 MYR/MONTH COST

How much are your monthly charges (water, electricity, common area maintenance charges, etc.) and additional expenses (mobile phone and/or internet box subscriptions)? ALL MONTHLY WATER - 20 MYR, ELECTRICITY - 900-1100 MYR, TIME INTERNET 200 MYR, MOBILE POSATPAID MAXIS LINES 240 MYR, GAS MALAYSIA - 20 MYR, CONDO FEE - 50 MYR = 1600 MYR MIN

How much do you spend on commuting (by public transport or using your car) each month? CAR RENTAL IS QUITE EXPENSIVE MONTHLY HONDA CRV 5000 MYR, 200 MYR GAS PER MONTH.

How much does your grocery shopping cost in Malaysia? MIN 5000 MYR FOR 4 PAX

How much do you spend on health care (health insurance, consultations, etc.)? HEALTH INSURANCE 15000 MYR ANNUAL FOR 4 PAX

How much are your children's school fees, depending on the type of school they attend? CRAZY EXPENSIVE 210.000 USD FOR 2 CHILD annual

What about your budget for leisure activities? MIN 10.000 MYR IF YOU TRAVEL EVERY MONTH

Do not hesitate to indicate other everyday costs if they could be useful to others. FLIGHTS TO EUROPE NOW MIN 1000 USD PER PAX

TOTAL YOU NEED MIN 40.000 - 45.000 MYR FOR 4 PAX.. EXCEPT TRAVEL..

I ALSO DISAGREE WITH THE MISPERCEPTION ABOUT CHEAPNESS OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE... IT IS OPPOSITE .. MALAYSIA IS ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE COUNTRY DUE TO HIGHEST POSSIBLE TAX APPLIED BY MUSLIM GOVERNMENT.

Im not sure the usefulness of comparing exact prices of two people since standards are so different. One pays rm9000 for a condo, another pays rm700 for a 2-story house. Or maybe more to the point, i pay 1/20th of the prices of the post above mine so which is valid, which should a reader use as a guide when in fact both examples are not even telling the whole story?

Numbeo.com is probably the best reference for a person to get an idea of costs since the reader would be able to compare where they are now to where they want to go. Higher, lower or similar is really all thats needed until one comes and looks specific things they like.

And yes, Malaysia highly taxes tobacco and liquor as "sin taxes." A pack of smokes in Vietnam is US 0.25, here is US3.50. Look how much is tax. Liquor is the same, super high prices. Vape is dirt cheap but not for long, the govt is look at bans or super taxes this year. Bans of tobacco and vape on on the table. Half the govt smokes or vapes so that will be interesting.

2022 prognosis for prices......UP.

@cvco be glad you don't live in Australia.
Cigarettes (20 pack) cost $Au35+( 12myr)
very interesting topic. i am planning trip in july but the cost of that has gone up considerable rom the april one i was going to take for my holiday.  so i am going to see costs closer to july. I want to stay in KL and do some travelling to beaches from KL hotel.  I am worried about the pandemic and may flare up once again ie. no travelling or getting stuck in Malaysia or not even my place of south africa after paying for ticket and now no gaurantee of refund so travel agent tells me.  bit scary. loo loo
@cvco  +1

I share @cvco opinion, 9000 MYR for rent is really abusive, i'm living here for 4 years and i have never paid more than MYR2500 for a rent, and believe me i was living in 5 stars condo with 3 rooms + 2 baths in a super good and quiet area in KL, i also lived in lets say 4 stars condo MYR 1800 2 rooms + 2 baths you can find Good one for RM1500

Water         RM18
Electricity (15 days AC - I usually use fan i hate AC)     RM35-50
Internet(100mo + landline)       RM110
Mobile 4G( XOX  100GB)            RM 39

Food  Depends and what kind of food, usually for a family of 4 persons eating at home you will need RM1500-2000 but if you want to mix home&outside RM3000-3500  +/-

Health insurance its cheap you can get a good one RM450 /month

Transportation  well also depends, but its better to get a car

So living normally you will need about RM 6-8k for a a family of 4.

For 1 person like me with no vices (tobacco/alcohol) and without insurance   RM3500-4000 is enough  /  outside KL cheaper you can cut the price / 2
Granted it was a short term stay (a month) but I paid, what, about $40/night or total about $1,500 US for a nice studio apartment in Penang just recently.  I stayed in Tanjong Tokong, which to my understanding is a slightly higher cost area. Certainly not the most expensive but it was nice.  Security condo high rise with gym and infinity pool.

As a tourist, yes, most of my expenses were around food (eating out and groceries), transportation (Grab) and any entertainment things.  My US dollars definitely went a long way there.
DZINVEST,

I was paying 1500/mo at Taman Tun for 3 bedrooms, 3 bathroom, 3 balconies, 4 aircon, 2 kitchens, and fully furnished. The rent was either 3500 or 4000, i cant remember, but the agent was unable to find a tenant because a balcony overlooked a cemetary. Nobody would take a place where demons crawl up the building at night. I found it very peaceful. The agent told me he had been trying for 18 months and was going to quit the client. I said, Ok call him now with my offer of 1500, take it or leave it. They had a contract in my hand so fast it made my head spin. I stayed there about 4 years and was very happy. So quiet, no other buildings around, 100% view of hills.

Rents run the gamut. I had a friend in KL paying rm22,000/mo for a condo, and in the National Feed Lot scandal of years ago the company thieves were paying rm25,000 for a condo at KLCC. There are higher rents too. But these give the wrong impression of normal rent prices, as does kampung prices starting at rm400/mo for a tin-wood house.

Also, years ago it was easy to get 10% return on rents if you bought the property for investment-rental which says the properties were very reasonably priced. Today its a negative number which means the properties are overpriced.  But I wont ever pay 9000 for a regular condo when I already know how to live well and much cheaper. Its true that if I bought a condo for 1 million I cant just charge 2000/mo, im just saying that prices are sky high and to me, not worth it for a little air space between two concrete walls -- that are not even plumb, by the way.

20 years ago it was still a financial and investment paradise. Today its the opposite. Prices, what foreigners are allowed to buy, even available land to build on is so restrictive and un-worthwhile that capital might be better off elsewhere.
very interesting topic. i am planning trip in july but the cost of that has gone up considerable rom the april one i was going to take for my holiday.  so i am going to see costs closer to july. I want to stay in KL and do some travelling to beaches from KL hotel.  I am worried about the pandemic and may flare up once again ie. no travelling or getting stuck in Malaysia or not even my place of south africa after paying for ticket and now no gaurantee of refund so travel agent tells me.  bit scary. loo loo
- @Guest22
Nobody knows. Its definitely worth concern though. It was devastating for people to be caught abroad when lockdowns started, it was for me too, and the devastation expands when departures are delayed indefinitely. In August, Malaysia is expected to sign the Bill Gates-WHO initiative which says that countries can start harsh and immediate measures if there is a threat of a virus that might lead to a pandemic. What the measures are have become sources of speculation but this is how the world will go in the future. To me, this says travel is risky until one has many Plan Bs, including the ability to stay abroad, unable to return to jobs and families. It seems a long term or permanent structure is being created and hardship will come with the territory. I have to go US ASAP and am very concerned I wouldnt be able to come back to my home here for all these same reasons and also im unable to ship things to US right now either. Its a gigantic mess.
@Cheryl

I am also interested in Malaysia or Ecuador.

Type of currencies used.

Government

Safety

Cost of monthly expenses inclusive

Average count of expatriots

Required proof of finances

Medical care

Do you have to become an expat?

Thank you for your response
@DZINVEST
Thank you for sharing all this information!
What do you think about the public transport and how much that might cost someone dependent on that and grab?
@ekovet

Hi Ekovet, I am planning to relocate from Vietnam to KL/Malaysia. For person effect shipment, which forwarder is recommended. Thanks in advance for your help.