São Paulo Volunteering

Bom Dia Expat Community!

I wanted to see if anyone could give me some recommendations on possible organizations I can begin looking into for volunteering when I arrive in January. I am a big fan of community service work with youth, but anything that has a great cause I will support.

Muito Obtigado in advance for any help!

René

Hi René,

You can check out any kind of volunteer work that you wish in São Paulo or Rio, even select the bairro if you wish at the following link.

http://www.voluntarios.com.br/

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Im thinking of coming out in 2013/14 for some volunteer work myself. Ill keep an eye on this thread to see if theres anything here that may suit me. Im an irish guy looking to take 1 year out of my normal life to give something back to the world and i just cant get brazil out of my head.

Bebes360 and Irishguy1888,

You may wish to check with both the agency you ultimately intend to volunteer with and then check with the Federal Police.

If the organization pays even a stipend to their volunteers this could run you afoul with the very firm restriction about no remunerated work on a tourist visa as they make absolutely no distinction as to WHERE the money comes from or why. If they are in fact strictly volunteer and you receive nothing in the way of an honorarium or repayment of out of pocket expenses then you should be okay. Better safe than sorry, check with the Feds first.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team