Menu
Expat.com

Hello everybody!Need some honest opinions

Last activity 21 January 2013 by ThisGirlSaysOw

GuestPoster012

Hello everybody!

I'm a young Portuguese female,my boyfriend is Danish and it's really hard to be a long time without being with each other.So,as I'm currently ending my contract as a substitute teacher in University and because Portugal is under a crisis(luckily not yet so big as in Greece or Spain but it's really hard to get a job),we've been thinking about me moving to Copenhagen.

Unfortunately,I don't have much work experience but I have a Bachelor in a course it's related with animal production.

My concerns are:1-Would it be sufficient to speak English to get a not qualified job like waitress or something like that?
2-How hard it is for a foreigner to find a job?
3-Would be easier to apply for job offers online being in Denmark and using a Danish address?

Sincerily hoping for genuine opinions.

Regards from Portugal wink.png

Harmonie

Hi LiRod and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be advised.wink.png

Harmonie.

ThisGirlSaysOw

Hi there,

While nowhere near as bad as Portugal, the job situation in Denmark isn't great at the moment either.  Employers are generally more likely to give positions to Danes first, and then consider non-Danes.  It is extraordinarily difficult to find work here without speaking Danish, even though everyone speaks English.  However, I do know a few who have limited Danish skills who work as wait-staff or bartenders.  It's certainly possible.

If it's something you're interested in, you might want to consider enrolling in a university here (either instead of or in addition to waiting tables).  EU citizens can attend universities here in Denmark without paying tuition, and also generally qualify to get SU, which is a monthly stipend while studying.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Denmark

• Internships in Denmark
    Internships in Denmark

If you are under 34 years of age and looking to gain experience abroad, why not consider an internship in Denmark? ...

• Setting up a business in Denmark
    Setting up a business in Denmark

Denmark is one of the easiest countries to set up your own business. The procedures are relatively clear-cut, ...

• Working in Denmark
    Working in Denmark

Are you thinking about relocating to Denmark for work? Denmark is an open and welcoming country where expats adapt ...

• Working in Denmark as a digital nomad
    Working in Denmark as a digital nomad

Denmark is an attractive destination for expats: its high quality of life, good wages, and urban development make ...

• Working in Esbjerg
    Working in Esbjerg

The city of Esbjerg is located on the southwest coast of Denmark. It is a flourishing port city and the second ...

• Working in Aalborg
    Working in Aalborg

With a population of just over 200,000, Aalborg is Denmark's fourth-largest city. It is situated in northern ...

• Working in Copenhagen
    Working in Copenhagen

Are you on the lookout for job opportunities in Copenhagen? The Danish capital is home to many expats who have ...

• Copenhagen's labour market
    Copenhagen's labour market

If you have set your sights on working in Copenhagen, it is important to understand what kind of jobs the city ...

All of Denmark's guide articles